Brake related vibration

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone. So sometimes at highway speeds on the 14 dart if I hit the brakes I’ll get a front end vibration. Here is the kicker the car will shake in the steering wheel even after letting off the pedal for several seconds. I installed power stop evolution brakes about 2 months ago and new rotors from advanced auto parts. When jacking the car up the wheel spin freely. The pads seems to be moving ok as well. To me it sounds like the pads aren’t moving back enough to clear the rotor . Any thoughts?

Last edited:
I would check the steering and suspension components. It sounds like the brakes start a reverberation that continues after you release the brakes.

When I did my jeep Patriot I wire brushed friction points on brackets and calipers, and lubed same points with disc brake grease. Cleaned and lubed caliper pins too. And I cleaned the new rotors with spray and blue towels. I used Wagner rotors and pads. Vehicle brakes like new.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Didn't you already have a massive thread about this?

No? I don’t think I did. I’ve had tire vibrations and warped rotors but these symptoms are different than that. When I did the pads I installed new hardware and new brake lube on contact points.

Did you index the rotors and check for run-out? I had to finally install a shim on passenger side of my Saturn to keep from getting pulsation after a brake job. I attribute that to a little rust or hitting curbs when parking.

Originally Posted By: MONKEYMAN
Did you index the rotors and check for run-out? I had to finally install a shim on passenger side of my Saturn to keep from getting pulsation after a brake job. I attribute that to a little rust or hitting curbs when parking.

I did not but that was going to be the first thing I check tomorrow morning was run out. After then I’m just going to reverify that everything is moving smoothly and then after that I’m not sure.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ram_man
Didn't you already have a massive thread about this?

No? I don’t think I did. I’ve had tire vibrations and warped rotors but these symptoms are different than that. When I did the pads I installed new hardware and new brake lube on contact points.

It sounds like a continuation of the same symptoms, no? IE, you still have a vibration of some sort, seemingly initiated when you brake (like your warped rotor thread) but now with the vibration continuing after you let off the brakes. Ergo, it sounds like an extension of that previous thread to me
21.gif

You would have to drive it to understand I guess. I had a tire vibration that’s been fixed and I’ve had a bad set of pads cause a vibration........ but the vibrations were in the tires case at speed rin the brakes case when braking. This issue will shake when braking and then continue when I let off the brakes for several seconds . It’s almost like the brake pads run the rotors for a bit until they retract far enough back to clear. Tonight I did a couple semi aggressive slow downs and then it hasn’t done it since. So I think checking run out is the best idea so far. Very weird.....

You would have to drive it to understand I guess. I had a tire vibration that’s been fixed and I’ve had a bad set of pads cause a vibration........ but the vibrations were in the tires case at speed rin the brakes case when braking. This issue will shake when braking and then continue when I let off the brakes for several seconds . It’s almost like the brake pads run the rotors for a bit until they retract far enough back to clear. Tonight I did a couple semi aggressive slow downs and then it hasn’t done it since. So I think checking run out is the best idea so far. Very weird.....

You have to appreciate that one individual having three separate threads about three apparently separate vibration issues on the same vehicle is exceptionally coincidental.

Checking run-out sounds like a good place to start.

You have to appreciate that one individual having three separate threads about three apparently separate vibration issues on the same vehicle is exceptionally coincidental.

Checking run-out sounds like a good place to start.

I’ll agree with that. What I’ve learned about these darts is they’re incredibly particular and mine has the sport suspension and 18in wheels so it’s even more so . It something isn’t 100% it lets you know. But I’d say the tire issue immediately went away when the road force numbers got low. The brake pad issue stopped with new pads . BUT I’d be willing to accept the idea that the previous brake pad issue and this are related. But I do believe without a doubt the tire issue was a separate issue.

Last edited:
Sounds fair.

What rotors are on it presently?

Car quest wearever from advance auto parts.

Sounds fair.

Ahh, OK, so some cheapies. Keep us updated on the runout test, interested to see what it shows.

Sounds fair.

Ahh, OK, so some cheapies. Keep us updated on the runout test, interested to see what it shows.

Seems like anything at the part stores is cheap stuff these days.

I ran Advance rotors on my Saturn after the shim with good results. They replaced expensive Napa rotors with painted hats. When I indexed them the Napa rotors had more run out. Go figure. Also, when I had the run out driving slow I could hear the brake rubbing the rotor when it hit the high spot.

Is that the car you wrecked? Perhaps that put that changed the geometry of the hub where the rotor mounts.

Originally Posted By: MONKEYMAN
I ran Advance rotors on my Saturn after the shim with good results. They replaced expensive Napa rotors with painted hats. When I indexed them the Napa rotors had more run out. Go figure. Also, when I had the run out driving slow I could hear the brake rubbing the rotor when it hit the high spot.

Is that the car you wrecked? Perhaps that put that changed the geometry of the hub where the rotor mounts.

I hit a curb pulling out of a parking spot and bent the rocker panel. No real accidents besides that .

Hopefully I type this correctly
Driver front rotor had a runout measurement of .003
Passenger was .0012
So I’m wondering if the passenger front is my issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back