2016 Chevy M1 vs PP

Status
Not open for further replies.

A76

First post so here’s the low down:

2016 Chevy Z71 5.3L L83 (oil changed with OLM between 4 & 14%) (Catch can installed around 5,000) (*Dealer stated they use Mobil 1)

0-5,500 Factory fill and AC Filter
5,500-10,564 1st of 2 included dealer services Mobil 1* and AC Filter
10,564-16,502 2nd of 2 included dealer services Mobil 1* and AC Filter
16,502-22,556 Mobil 1 AFE and Mobil 1 Filter plus added a Filter Mag
22,556-29,618 Mobil 1 EP and Mobil 1 Filter UOA #1 preformed
29,618-36,694 Mobil 1 EP and Mobil 1 Filter
36,694-43,974 Mobil 1 EP and Mobil 1 Filter
43,974-50,983 PP and Fram Ultra Synthetic Filter
50,983-57,978 PP and Fram US Filter UOA #2 preformed

I’ve always been a Mobil 1 guy but with rebates & rewards at AutoZone I was able to get 15 quarts of Pennzoil Platinum and three filters (filters where STP extended performance but I purchased the sizes for my wife’s Tahoe and my sons truck as I wanted to start using the Fram US filters on my truck) for a final total of $30 so I figured being a little over $20 an oil change (had to buy 1 more quart to make 16 and got a 6 pack of XG10575 filters on eBay for $29.95 shipped) I’d give it a run. With all that said looking at the UOA’s which one would you use in the future if the price for either was equal, Mobil 1 EP or PP?

Given that the UOA isn't going to tell you anything important, I'd use the one that held its TBN better, which would be the first run from 2017. The results appear otherwise nary identical, which means you have a normal wearing engine with nothing obviously weird going on.

Mobil 1 EP 0W20 for its higher residual TBN retention, never mind its heavier viscoisty shearing.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Given that the UOA isn't going to tell you anything important, I'd use the one that held its TBN better, which would be the first run from 2017. The results appear otherwise nary identical, which means you have a normal wearing engine with nothing obviously weird going on.

crackmeup2.gif

So again, the noticeable difference in wear metal ratings don't mean anything? Please, enlighten me again, why Mobil oils show higher than average wear metal counts UOA after UOA but Pennzoil and some others don't?
21.gif

Here's my thinking, run Mobil-1 oil and notice the higher than average wear metal counts in UOAs, then ask why it makes for a nosier running engine using it compared to Pennzoil oils and others then tell me the a reason for that?
coffee2.gif

Mmm, nosier running engines=above average wear metal counts. Quieter running engines=normal wear metal counts. Does anyone else still think Mobil is all that and worth the extra money one pays for it?

Quit drinking the Kool-Aid.

Originally Posted By: irv

crackmeup2.gif

So again, the noticeable difference in wear metal ratings don't mean anything? Please, enlighten me again, why Mobil oils show higher than average wear metal counts UOA after UOA but Pennzoil and some others don't?
21.gif

Here's my thinking, run Mobil-1 oil and notice the higher than average wear metal counts in UOAs, then ask why it makes for a nosier running engine using it compared to Pennzoil oils and others then tell me the a reason for that?
coffee2.gif

Mmm, nosier running engines=above average wear metal counts. Quieter running engines=normal wear metal counts. Does anyone else still think Mobil is all that and worth the extra money one pays for it?

Quit drinking the Kool-Aid.

Everything you just posted is wrong.

crackmeup2.gif

I'm not rehashing this nonsense with you again. The two UOA's posted IN THIS THREAD, are essentially identical for all metals save copper, which was apparently trending down anyways, as per Blackstone's comments.

Did you even bother to read the bloody UOA or did you just see Mobil 1 and start jackhammering the keyboard?

- Iron at 14/15ppm - THE SAME
- Aluminum at 4/3ppm - THE SAME
- Chromium at 1/1ppm - THE SAME

I don't believe anybody is drinking Kool-Aid, but I certainly think somebody's drafted themselves up an agenda, considering your contribution to this thread was nothing more than an attack on mine. Bravo.

Maybe you could start a professional UOA interpretation business that involves just telling people not to run Mobil 1? Because that's about what your commentary has devolved into here.

Also have to consider these UOAs were taken at two completely different stages in the engines life cycle.

irv, if anyone is ignoring reality here it’s you.

This isn’t an apples to apples compariaon. Both oils kept metal engine components from severely touching.

Originally Posted By: 1JZ_E46
Also have to consider these UOAs were taken at two completely different stages in the engines life cycle.

irv, if anyone is ignoring reality here it’s you.

This isn’t an apples to apples compariaon. Both oils kept metal engine components from severely touching.

thumbsup2.gif

Both UOA's are exceptionally unremarkable, which is a good thing. This engine isn't throwing any high levels of anything to be concerned about and you've made a good point about the rather significant difference in mileage on the engine between the two samples. The biggest difference seems to be TBN retention, which I would expect the extended drain oil to be better at, and it was.

If you’re interested here are the comments from the first test. Truth be told I don’t see much difference between the two tests. I did go back with M1 with this change mainly to test a theory before it warms up outside, the theory being that the decrease in mpg that I seen with the switch to PP was only coincidental due to the lower temps kicking in right around the switch to PP. So far that theory would appear to be true as my mpg hasn’t changed going back to M1 and I’ve got about 2000 on this fill. The most curious thing for me is their apparent surprise at the low copper numbers, I don’t think I’ve done anything special so I can only chalk it up to luck.

crackmeup2.gif

I'm not rehashing this nonsense with you again. The two UOA's posted IN THIS THREAD, are essentially identical for all metals save copper, which was apparently trending down anyways, as per Blackstone's comments.

Did you even bother to read the bloody UOA or did you just see Mobil 1 and start jackhammering the keyboard?

- Iron at 14/15ppm - THE SAME
- Aluminum at 4/3ppm - THE SAME
- Chromium at 1/1ppm - THE SAME

I don't believe anybody is drinking Kool-Aid, but I certainly think somebody's drafted themselves up an agenda, considering your contribution to this thread was nothing more than an attack on mine. Bravo.

Maybe you could start a professional UOA interpretation business that involves just telling people not to run Mobil 1? Because that's about what your commentary has devolved into here.

crackmeup2.gif
, yeah, I have an agenda, but yet you were the first one to reply to this thread alluding to telling the OP to stick with Mobil. Talk about jackhammering the keyboards!
Do you have a setting on your computer that notifies you when a thread has been started about Mobil oils? Between you and Tig, it’s almost impossible to open a thread talking about Mobil oils without seeing you two touting how good it is.
crackmeup2.gif

Do you not think, seeing how Mobil touts their oil as being the best, superior, the World leader, etc, that that is what we should be seeing in Mobil UOAs, especially when they are also charging World Class prices for it?
21.gif

Mobil 1 is one of the most widely known and trusted performance brands in the world, especially when it comes to producing superior, technologically advanced products for motorists who want the very best. Mobil 1 is the world’s leading synthetic motor oil.

I personally do. Like I have mentioned before, if it is “All that” shouldn’t it have the best, or be head and shoulders above the rest, when it comes to wear metals and everything else we see about it in their UOA’s?

Keep running it, I really don’t care what one uses, but like you touting it constantly, I will occasionally express my opinion what I happen to think about it, or is that not allowed here?

If that upsets you, then so be it, but don’t go pointing fingers at me for pointing out it’s flaws when you constantly do the opposite pointing out how good it is.

If people were seeing wear metals in their UOAs like I do in Mobil's running store brand oils, they would quickly discontinue its use, guaranteed, and would be on here warning/showing us how bad it is and not recommending its use. With Mobil, however, it is brushed off and given a green light constantly as a highly recommended oil.

crackmeup2.gif
, yeah, I have an agenda, but yet you were the first one to reply to this thread alluding to telling the OP to stick with Mobil. Talk about jackhammering the keyboards!

I replied to the OP who posted what are essentially two identical UOA's to run the oil that appeared to have the better TBN retention. That's significantly more than your contribution to this thread so far, which has been nothing more than an attack on me at this juncture.

Do you not think, seeing how Mobil touts their oil as being the best, superior, the World leader, etc, that that is what we should be seeing in Mobil UOAs, especially when they are also charging World Class prices for it?
21.gif

Please give us your expert opinion on these two UOA's then, given as you've now decided to define the performance here as substandard. That is what you are claiming, no? That in these seemingly identical UOA results that the Mobil results are somehow inferior because it backs your opinion of the brand.

I personally do. Like I have mentioned before, if it is “All that” shouldn’t it have the best, or be head and shoulders above the rest, when it comes to wear metals and everything else we see about it in their UOA’s?

Your lack of ability in understanding how UOA's work, no matter how many times it has been explained by myself and multiple members here isn't my concern. However, your casting my opinion on a UOA as some biased tripe because you don't understand them and dislike the brand is.

Your posts in this thread have been nothing more than an attack on mine.

Keep running it, I really don’t care what one uses,

You obviously do, or you wouldn't have taken the time to weigh in on this thread with your mockery of my evaluation.

but like you touting it constantly, I will occasionally express my opinion what I happen to think about it, or is that not allowed here?

I find it somewhat amusing that you think I'm "touting" anything here. I gave my evaluation of what I saw in the two UOA's posted, you came in and attacked that. To draw a parallel between those two behaviours is laughable.

If that upsets you, then so be it, but don’t go pointing fingers at me for pointing out it’s flaws when you constantly do the opposite pointing out how good it is.

Pointing out what flaws? Again, you aren't even addressing the content of this thread! The two oils performed nary identically, I don't know how many times that has to be said for it to sink in! You are looking for ghosts where there aren't any because you felt you needed to attack my position, nothing more.

You've added nothing but bovine excrement to this thread and are now trying to peddle it under the guise of "freedom of expression" as if your condemnation of my post somehow pervertedly balances my evaluation of the OP's UOA.

If people were seeing wear metals in their UOAs like I do in Mobil's running store brand oils, they would quickly discontinue its use, guaranteed, and would be on here warning/showing us how bad it is and not recommending its use. With Mobil, however, it is brushed off and given a green light constantly as a highly recommended oil.

And that applies to the OP's UOA how exactly?

It would seem that it doesn't really matter what the Mobil product looks like in a UOA, despite your claim. If it had, you wouldn't have commented on this thread, because it doesn't fit the scenario you just depicted. But please, tell me again about how you are just "expressing your opinion"
smirk.gif

crackmeup2.gif

I replied to the OP who posted what are essentially two identical UOA's to run the oil that appeared to have the better TBN retention. That's significantly more than your contribution to this thread so far, which has been nothing more than an attack on me at this juncture.

Attack on you?
21.gif

Maybe you should go back and re-read it and see who started with the attacks. If a laughing emoticon is an attack, then I give up. I was laughing at your statement that UOAs don't really mean nothing, which you also stated in another thread.
By your analogy, UOAs shouldn't even exist, or at least the wear metal measurement parts of them.

Curious, why did you leave out the copper reading/measurement in your one post? Quite a drop, imo, from the Mobil oil UOA to the Pennzoil UOA, and the truck already had almost 30,000 miles on it. Imo, and as you likely very well know, most wear metals should be long gone or a lot lower by then, shouldn't they?

Anyways, like I mentioned, run what you like but I wish someday you'd answer my question why Mobil oils frequently show higher than average wear metals from their superior/expensive oils but yet other cheaper oils like Pennzoil don't?

I know, I don't understand UOAs, especially the wear metal parts of them, but it's funny, UOA after UOA that I see includes them in their oil analysis.
21.gif

Attack on you?
21.gif

Yes, your initial post came across as nothing more than an attempt to discredit mine. That's why you received the reaction you did from me. If that wasn't your intent then you didn't make that very clear in any of your follow-ups
21.gif

Maybe you should go back and re-read it and see who started with the attacks.

Considering I didn't mention you until you quoted and attempted to discredit me, I'd say it was pretty clear who started it.

If a laughing emoticon is an attack, then I give up. I was laughing at your statement that UOAs don't really mean nothing, which you also stated in another thread.
By your analogy, UOAs shouldn't even exist, or at least the wear metal measurement parts of them.

In this thread, since both UOA's were remarkably unremarkable, the UOA wasn't going to tell him that anything was going on, because there was no sign that anything was going on. The main difference that the UOA allowed us to observe, and it is as per their purpose, is that the one oil had better TBN retention than the other.

UOA's are a great tool for determining the service life of the lubricant and identifying any strange goings on with the equipment. They can help notify you of coolant ingress or an air filtration leak. But we've already been over all of that. Contrasting wear metals in the manner in which you desire is where we have an issue, but that has no bearing on this thread, which we've now handily run off the rails, since even that doesn't fit here because the results are identical.

Curious, why did you leave out the copper reading/measurement in your one post? Quite a drop, imo, from the Mobil oil UOA to the Pennzoil UOA, and the truck already had almost 30,000 miles on it. Imo, and as you likely very well know, most wear metals should be long gone or a lot lower by then, shouldn't they?

Because Blackstone remarked on the copper and they are correct that GM V8's tend to drop a lot of copper. There was no accompanying lead to indicate bearing wear, so it's likely chelation from an oil cooler and that, coupled with Blackstone's remarks, meant it wasn't worth mentioning. They did however remark on how it had been trending down, and given that there was almost 30,000 miles between the two UOA's, it's not surprising it is much lower at this point.

Anyways, like I mentioned, run what you like but I wish someday you'd answer my question why Mobil oils frequently show higher than average wear metals from their superior/expensive oils but yet other cheaper oils like Pennzoil don't?

I know, I don't understand UOAs, especially the wear metal parts of them, but it's funny, UOA after UOA that I see includes them in their oil analysis.
21.gif

But you don't see that in this UOA, do you? It doesn't even support that theory, because the metals are basically the same. I have tried to answer you on why you might see different levels between different brands, but you don't seem to want to cede that chemical composition can have a bearing on what the narrow range of particles sampled by a UOA, which is less than 10 microns, sees. Chemical chelation, which has been discussed quite a few times, is just one example of that.

Look at some of the Redline UOA's for some even more extreme examples of that, since it has a fair slug of polar POE in it.

Ultimately, the metals are useful for indicating health issues with a piece of equipment. That's why you are provided with equipment averages for example and why UOA's are trended. Deviations from the trend may require investigation as it may indicate a change in health for the piece of equipment.

Nothing wrong with that UOA. I think the higher calcium and phosphorus level may indicate the PP has more cleaning ability over a longer period but I will someone more knowledgeable answer that.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Nothing wrong with that UOA. I think the higher calcium and phosphorus level may indicate the PP has more cleaning ability over a longer period but I will someone more knowledgeable answer that.

I noticed the higher calcium and lower moly and thought that was interesting. I would have expected the calcium to boost the TBN, but it doesn't seem to have
21.gif

Maybe the Magnesium? Time to look through some old UOA reports.

Good thought. Something or somethings is/are contributing to better TBN retention in the EP product, though I would hope that to be the case given its purpose, LOL
wink.gif

Maybe the Magnesium? Time to look through some old UOA reports.

Good thought. Something or somethings is/are contributing to better TBN retention in the EP product, though I would hope that to be the case given its purpose, LOL
wink.gif

Magnesium was said to help neutralise a different 'type' of acids typically found in ICE, according to SoJ's posts.
That and M1 EP (vigin TBN 9.0ish) having a Sulfated Ash of 0.8 (as like an ACEA C3 oils), possibly with Boron in M1 EP .....
all contributes to stronger TBN retention in M1 EP in this UOA vis-a-vis PP (virgin TBN 8.9ish) , just my speculation.

Not sure of PP's SA content though.

Regarding TBN 'retention'...

There's a story that's frequently peddled around the industry, that expensive, over based metallic Salicylate detergents are better on TBN retention than commoner and cheaper over based Sulphonates & Phenates.

This may or may not be true but even if it is, I would dispute the fact that 'TBN retention' is a good thing. The primary purpose of this class of additive is to neutralise acids that build up in the oil and keep that neutralised 'stuff' suspended in the oil. If you have two oils of equal starting TBN and after x miles, under identical conditions, one oil has a lower TBN than the other, then in my book, it has done a BETTER job at zapping acidic species than the other oil.

Think about it! Compare a busy man with an idle, blobby couch-potato. The latter might point to how superior he is in terms of 'shoe leather retention' but it's not the most meaningful of boasts is it?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SonofJoe

Think about it! Compare a busy man with an idle, blobby couch-potato. The latter might point to how superior he is in terms of 'shoe leather retention' but it's not the most meaningful of boasts is it?

I like the analogy.
lol.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back