Aerial Refueling Tanker Program Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tyler Rogoway in The War Zone has a recent article posted on the repeatedly delayed Boeing KC-46 Pegasus tanker. The apparent plan, if true, to retire all KC-10s before the "youngest" KC-135s was surprising to me. In addition, the KC-Y program (KC-10 replacement) could be skipped, and go straight to the KC-Z (someday). Additional info on various tankers in linked stories within this article.
http://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/19332/the-kc-46-pegasus-tanker-program-is-still-a-mess

I just happened in on this thread and it has piqued my interest. Are the booms manually operated something like a crane?

What's up with Boeing these days?
Boeing had huge difficulties with the civil 787 program and in this case Boeing appears to be struggling to execute what should be a fairly straightforward adaptation of an existing airframe.
I wonder whether anyone at Boeing is wishing that they'd just let Airbus have this contract?

Heard anything about a business jet based small aerial tanker? I would swear I saw an article about a G650 being considered but google isn't turning up much.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
What's up with Boeing these days?
Boeing had huge difficulties with the civil 787 program and in this case Boeing appears to be struggling to execute what should be a fairly straightforward adaptation of an existing airframe.
I wonder whether anyone at Boeing is wishing that they'd just let Airbus have this contract?

The headaches Boeing is having with this tanker are worth it.

They want the next 50+ years of USAF refueling...

Originally Posted By: DJ
and the ongoing parts/service/updates over that time are HUGE.

Yep. Billions and billions of dollars for the next 5+ decades in fat $$$ juicy cash cow military contracts for Boeing.

the pic i saw has 3 fueling lines. are they going to fuel 3 planes at the same time? i hope not

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back