Topping up Peak Global

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last summer, I drained the coolant repeatedly till I got clear water out. After that, I filled it up PEAK Global (+ water) upto the MAX line in the coolant reservoir. Just now I noticed, that the coolant level has dropped below MIN. My first guess is the air trapped in the system that was just let out over the period of the year.

I would like to top off this coolant. Should I stick to PEAK Global 50-50 or I can use another coolant?

Thanks

Peak Global should be cheap and easy enough to obtain for you to use the same. Is there a particular reason you would want to add another coolant? Theoretically you should be able to add another all-makes all-models coolant, but I'd prefer to stick with the same.

Originally Posted By: Chewie
Peak Global should be cheap and easy enough to obtain for you to use the same. Is there a particular reason you would want to add another coolant?

Nobody in my neighborhood is carrying it, nor do I find it online. Available with NAPA and Walgreens only. NAPA stores in my neighborhood don't have it, nor is Walgreens and I do not want to go 15miles out of my way to get it. Hence the question. I am going to ask local Walgreens guy if he will get for me but speaking from past experience, they are no better than Walmart employees so won't keep my hopes high.

@SnaggleFoot, I took a quick look and didn't notice anything but I definitely will keep an eye once I top it up.

Originally Posted By: andrewp1998
Peak on amazon>>>>>

https://www.amazon.com/Antifreeze-Coolan...ifetime+coolant

Could be the radiator cap , get an oem , cheap enough to replace.

Trust me, I searched on amazon with exact same terms and it didn't show up.

BTW, stopped by other Walgreens in my neighborhood and found it. Believe it or not, for $13.99 only. Topped up and now wait begins to see if there is any leak or something. Checked the radiator cap, it looks good.

Quote:
It scares me that Peak G.L. is AMAL.

Guess you mean AMAM. In my observation PGL a favorite on bitog for several reasons that have been covered many times. Basically a LL (long service interval) OAT AF with no 2eha. The latter of which is found in DexCool and the "Dexclone universals" like Prestone that used to say All Makes All Models on the jug.

PGL having the benefits of LL OAT AF but no 2eha make it unique. 2eha a known plasticizer that may not be compatible with some engine gasket types, o-rings. The Asian AF's and even the new Mopar OAT AF avoid it's use in their products. So IMO and IME (for Toyota red), even though PGL can be considered to be a "universal AF" product, no rational reason to fear it's use.

As for topic, based on what I read I don't see anything to indicate an issue with PGL. Guess the OP needs to decide if PGL worth the hunt. If not, go to vehicle spec AF, which if signature vehicles indicate would be an Asian PHOAT (available as premix most likely).

I use LL peak global in my Forester, I cannot see paying 3X as much for the same thing at the Subaru Stealer ship. I run PG it in all 3 of or vehicles since it is easy to find around here in Lincoln Ne.In the event I need it and cannot find it Zerox makes a global type LL antifreeze as well. Both are good and will go for 5 years easily.

Order it from Amazon for $30.00 including shipping. Excellent choice of antifreeze but hard to find. Some Napa stores have it, but I have had to ask them to look for it in the back. They had it recently at the central warehouse here in 50 / 50 formula, but I wanted concentrate. They could probably order it as it is sold in Napa stores.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back