Do You use a fuel additive ? Why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used to use Regane. Only once did I notice a "regain" So I stopped using it as a preventative and only use it if I suspect a clogged injector? I do dose my OPE gas with MMO mostly because I like the smell. B 12 is my last shot before a carb R+R on small engines. It works pretty good and better if given time. Sea Foam is too expensive and not very effective. I try to keep less than 2 gallons of gas on hand. So I don't bother with Stabil, due to inconclusive results.

Last edited:
I use it on used cars that i have bought. I always try to undo whatever the guy before me has done. I usually do a few techrons or reganes or Redline Si-1 then change the fuel filter if it has one.

I throw in Techron with the last full fill-up before an oil change, then make sure to run it down to less than 1/4 before re-filling. I stock up when AAP has them BOGO.

I use primarily Top Tier gas (not always, though) and toss a bottle of Techron in once or twice a year.
I try to use Kwik Trip/Shell/BP, etc, but if Pilot, Casey's, Love's, etc. have a very good gas price, I go there and don't overthink it.

Originally Posted By: krismoriah72
I use it on used cars that i have bought. I always try to undo whatever the guy before me has done. I usually do a few techrons or reganes or Redline Si-1 then change the fuel filter if it has one.

We think alike. I do the above, plus a Trans flush, and then if the vehicle has over 100K miles I use a dose of Restore which actually increases cylinder compression. After a month or two, I believe I have "turned back the clock" a small but not insignificant degree.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
TCW-3 640:1 every fill up.

+1

Here's the Honda 500 after 10 years on it...in all my 4 strokes.

I run additive in both my diesels, Redline 85 plus, or 85 plus winterized. Actually I just started with Redline Diesel fuel catalyst, but the bottle says its a similar formula to the 85. I throw the Stabil octane boost/ethanol treatment/stabilizer in the M since it only see a few tanks a year. I ran a much more expensive additive in the X, that would be having a new head installed so there shouldnt be any carbon buildup lol.

Originally Posted By: andyd
I used to use Regane. Only once did I notice a "regain" So I stopped using it as a preventative and only use it if I suspect a clogged injector?

That exactly how you don't want to use these products. That's closing the door after the horse got out, once the injectors are that dirty or worse clogged they are very difficult to clean with anything in the rail/line or through the tank.
While it is true that Top Tier negates the value of these products somewhat it does not eliminate them from a maintenance plan.

Pre Top Tier engines running in used cars can still benefit from these products as the deposits they may have accumulated may be too difficult to remove with the amount found in gasoline only.
Ironically Top Tier still turns to varnish when left long term, PEA does not seem to prevent it or remove it very well, neither does alcohol, in fact the hygroscopic nature of alcohol is one of the main cause of internal injector corrosion.

Older pintel style injectors have a unique problem of needle and bore wear that Top Tier does not address, they can benefit greatly from a cleaner with a lube and corrosion protector like Redline SI-1 that even in small amounts per tank can prevent a whole host of issues.

Hypothetically a new non DI engine running a good Top Tier fuel like Shell or BP (yes there is a difference in additive amounts even with Top Tier) then you probably don't benefit much from these products but at the cost it still does no harm to run a bottle once or twice a year if for nothing more than preventive maintenance.

DI engines IMO benefit from PEA based products, from my experience with them they do accumulate deposits in the tip despite Top Tier. Rant over.

49.gif

I buy the cheapest gas I can find. There is about $1.25 per gallon difference between the name brands and the cheap stations. I noticed the Tahoe mpg is down some so I just put 2 bottles of techron in it today.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Originally Posted By: andyd
I used to use Regane. Only once did I notice a "regain" So I stopped using it as a preventative and only use it if I suspect a clogged injector?

That exactly how you don't want to use these products. That's closing the door after the horse got out, once the injectors are that dirty or worse clogged they are very difficult to clean with anything in the rail/line or through the tank.
While it is true that Top Tier negates the value of these products somewhat it does not eliminate them from a maintenance plan.

Pre Top Tier engines running in used cars can still benefit from these products as the deposits they may have accumulated may be too difficult to remove with the amount found in gasoline only.
Ironically Top Tier still turns to varnish when left long term, PEA does not seem to prevent it or remove it very well, neither does alcohol, in fact the hygroscopic nature of alcohol is one of the main cause of internal injector corrosion.

Older pintel style injectors have a unique problem of needle and bore wear that Top Tier does not address, they can benefit greatly from a cleaner with a lube and corrosion protector like Redline SI-1 that even in small amounts per tank can prevent a whole host of issues.

Hypothetically a new non DI engine running a good Top Tier fuel like Shell or BP (yes there is a difference in additive amounts even with Top Tier) then you probably don't benefit much from these products but at the cost it still does no harm to run a bottle once or twice a year if for nothing more than preventive maintenance.

DI engines IMO benefit from PEA based products, from my experience with them they do accumulate deposits in the tip despite Top Tier. Rant over.

49.gif

I couldn't agree more with you. This is exactly why i use marvel every tank. Keeps things lubed and clean. I have 441,000kms on all original injectors and fuel pump.

I buy mostly top tier gas, and add a bottle of Tecron every 6 months when I change oil. That is on my fusion. On my classics, and OPE, I use non alcohol gas( yes we still have it here) AND I also add MMO, to the gas at 4oz per 10 gal. The classics also get some lead additive.

Originally Posted By: WobblyElvis
I've never used a fuel additive because I've never needed one. Driving since 68.

I never used one in Germany either but that has more to do with fuel quality and a whole other discussion. In the USA this is the fuel we get and cant do much about it so its a moot point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back