Cancer in dogs after ACL repair

Status
Not open for further replies.
Someone awhile ago posted that dogs sometimes get cancer years latter at the ACL repair spot. My Mastiff had a TPLO repair for his ACL using SS plates and screws. So I asked my vet (specialty in vet orthopedics) and he said several years ago they were using repair parts made of slightly different metal alloys and they could get a tiny tiny bit of current at the junction of slightly different allow metals.

My vet said the newer repairs are done using the exact same metal alloys and no longer have that issue.

The only issue now is affording the repair.

I thought I would update people here on BITOG who might be interested.

It is interesting . A while ago I was speaking to a large animal vet and he said cows in an area of Oregon get cancer if they are not supplemented with Selenium. Some people say the extras in the Vaccines cause cancer . Will we ever figure it out?

We had an Irish Setter in the 70s-early 80's and developed bone cancer at the exact same spot where she had hip surgery. The hip surgery required some bone shaving process and that is where the cancer developed. She had the hip surgery when she was around 2 or 3 yrs old and the cancer was found when she was 12 yrs and died about 6 months later. Same vet that did the surgery found the cancer. I'm not sure if any metal was used in the surgery?

Originally Posted By: CT8
It is interesting . A while ago I was speaking to a large animal vet and he said cows in an area of Oregon get cancer if they are not supplemented with Selenium. Some people say the extras in the Vaccines cause cancer . Will we ever figure it out?
Same with horses. Selenium deficiency in horses can cause all kinds of health related issues. In my area of eastern Washington its an issue with livestock. We supplement our horses and cattle with salt blocks that contain selenium. Too much can be detrimental too.

This is news to me. I had a dog with plates in both rear legs. Died of old age.

Nowadays, canine implants are made with the same strict requirements as human implants. Same manufacturing facilities too.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back