2016 Chrysler Town and country metal specs in oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did an oil change on my wife's van this morning and decided to examine the oil filter as it's about as easy as it gets being a cartridge filter. I noticed and took pictures of some very tiny metal pieces. Maybe 20 of them throughout the whole media and they were not magnetic. The van sees alot of highway miles. Engine is the Pentestar 3.6 with 53800 miles and this run was on amsoil sso 0w30 for roughly 8700 miles. Wondering should I be concerned or just check the filter again next time to see if it goes away.

There are no abnormal noises and the engine runs smooth. Power train warranty runs out @60k.

Originally Posted By: WobblyElvis
A used oil analysis is in order.

I wasn't expecting this and didn't collect a sample..I will get one from the next go round.

I won't worry too much about that. You should see the one I had last week after it ate a cam and rocker.

Whatever it was, it could have been in the oil when it went in. The odds are impossible that Amsoil has never had at least one contaminated batch of oil.

That said, it's time to have a sample tested once there's some miles on this oil. 60,000 miles will be here before you know it.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
Whatever it was, it could have been in the oil when it went in. The odds are impossible that Amsoil has never had at least one contaminated batch of oil.

That said, it's time to have a sample tested once there's some miles on this oil. 60,000 miles will be here before you know it.

I ordered a kit from blackstone to do a UOA on my hellcat with amsoil sso 0w-40 in the sump...but it looks like I will probably use it on the van.

That little bit? I wouldn't worry in the least.

I've been cutting open every one of my used OFs for years. A good 6 or more brand-new vehicles. Most if not all had a few tiny specs of something metallic buried in the media pleats (not from my cutter).

That’s not too concerning. New oil filters have steel particles in them from the manufacturing process. I always wipe the threads before installing them and there are always steel particles there. That doesn’t even include what’s fully inside the can.

Originally Posted By: AVB
UOA and documentation will mean nothing with a warranty claim.

++ You would actually have to have engine damage for a warranty claim. And then prove you did everything at least by the book per Chrysler maintenance requirements. However it doesn't hurt, though it may not help to have the filter pictures and UOA's. Without engine damage Chrysler will not react to you showing them the filter pics and an UOA. Besides that does not look like any significant amount of metal in the filter. Were there metal particles in also the oil when you changed it?

Whimsey

Explain how a UOA shows anything more than is seen here. It would be just chance if some of the very few particles happened to be in the tiny oil sample. May have no particles, may have a number of them. I bet those are just leftover manufacturing bits that finally broke loose from some nook or cranny.
49.gif

I was thinking the same thing, it could just be casting flash that finally came loose.

My 2016 wrangler had the same type of metal specs on the 1st (750miles) oil change. Less on the 2nd(5K miles). Even less on the 3rd(10K miles). Pentastar engine also.

I carefully cut the cartage with a razor and laid it out on the clean table to examine. Then labeled and a saved them in a ziplock so I could compare. I am not that worried about it since the amount is going down. I think we notice this stuff more because the cartrage fitter is so easy to check out.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CrAlt
My 2016 wrangler had the same type of metal specs on the 1st (750miles) oil change. Less on the 2nd(5K miles). Even less on the 3rd(10K miles).

I carefully cut the cartage with a razor and laid it out on the clean table to examine. Then labeled and a saved them in a ziplock so I could compare. I am not that worried about it since the amount is going down.

Maybe mine is still breaking in? Like I said in previous post mostly all highway miles. Very little Stress on the drivetrain.

Originally Posted By: turboaccord1
Originally Posted By: CrAlt
My 2016 wrangler had the same type of metal specs on the 1st (750miles) oil change. Less on the 2nd(5K miles). Even less on the 3rd(10K miles).

I carefully cut the cartage with a razor and laid it out on the clean table to examine. Then labeled and a saved them in a ziplock so I could compare. I am not that worried about it since the amount is going down.

Maybe mine is still breaking in? Like I said in previous post mostly all highway miles. Very little Stress on the drivetrain.

Ya I drive mine kinda hard. Its stick shift. Lots of WOT. Playing in the snow and mud bouncing around prob knocks stuff out quicker then an auto minivan cruising down the highway.

I would just keep an eye on it. Keep the filters so you can compare oil change to oil change. UOA prob a good idea for next time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back