GE 9x first flight

Status
Not open for further replies.
Next generation of GE’s mega engine was tested this week. I remember seeing them test the GE90 in Mojave back in the mid 1990’s.
For reference the other engines on the 747 have fan diameter of about 8 feet.

The 777X will be sooo beautiful with its new wings and engines.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Audios
Too bad the 747 couldn't be fitted with 2 of these to make them more efficient and keep them in skies.

Seriously?

You can buy a new 747-8 with General Electric GEnx engines, or Rolls-Royce Trent engines.

The biggest problem is seat capacity per fuel burned -
The A380 is a bit bigger (50 more seats) with about the sane fuel burn,
and the newest 777 will be almost as many seats, but far less fuel burn.

The 747 was A M A Z I N G to the airline industry when introduced -
and forever changed air travel.
It will be 50 YEARS OLD next year - impressive by any standard.
It's just that it's time has come...........
and better options are nor available

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
Is this engine going to bring the 747 back to life?

The 800i uses GEnx like dreamers do …

Originally Posted By: Linctex
Originally Posted By: Audios
Too bad the 747 couldn't be fitted with 2 of these to make them more efficient and keep them in skies.

Seriously?

You can buy a new 747-8 with General Electric GEnx engines, or Rolls-Royce Trent engines.

The biggest problem is seat capacity per fuel burned -
The A380 is a bit bigger (50 more seats) with about the sane fuel burn,
and the newest 777 will be almost as many seats, but far less fuel burn.

The 747 was A M A Z I N G to the airline industry when introduced -
and forever changed air travel.
It will be 50 YEARS OLD next year - impressive by any standard.
It's just that it's time has come...........
and better options are nor available

I have been on many 380’s … many are never full unless they are heavily discounted … one subsidized airline kept them in business …
I don’t like hubs of the airlines choosing and blame an arrogant ME company for spreading that nonsense …

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Does the engine on a twin act like an air brake when shutting down in flight?

ALL naircraft engines create drag when not producing power.

ETOPS = Extended Twin Engine Operations (aircraft have to be certified to do this) allows over water flight if one engine fails.

Originally Posted By: Linctex

ALL naircraft engines create drag when not producing power.

ETOPS = Extended Twin Engine Operations (aircraft have to be certified to do this) allows over water flight if one engine fails.

That’s been a big winner for many airlines and passengers … along with an exceptional safety record

Depends.

In most cases, no. But a seized engine will create more drag than one that still rotates. Depending on the speed of the airplane at shutdown, the thrust on the other engine, and the altitude at which it happens, you may get a lot of yaw, or just a little...

Originally Posted By: Astro14

Depends.

In most cases, no. But a seized engine will create more drag than one that still rotates. Depending on the speed of the airplane at shutdown, the thrust on the other engine, and the altitude at which it happens, you may get a lot of yaw, or just a little...

Years ago I talked to a Boeing crew testing the GE90-115b on the B773. (We used same air base). They were doing single engine tests in high winds and needed to clock 4 hours that day. Told me it flew so well they went 5-1/2 hours no sweat ...

Astro touched on this. There are a couple of failure modes in a jet engine, normal loss of thrust with a windmilling engine, and seized where the blades no longer rotate. With a seized engine, in addition to the loss of thrust you have the equivalent of a barn door out there providing additional drag. You also lose hydraulics on that engine. It is a much much bigger problem. Some fighters like early F-111s would hardly fly with seized engines, and controlled ejection was often warranted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back