Car broken into...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Walked up to my '99 Civic that was parked in my apartment complex and noticed my glove compartment open, paperwork all over the place and glovebox open. No windows were broken though it appears they messed with the driver's side keyhole to gain entry. The brake lock that I had on appeared to be tampered with as I normally keep it parallel with the dash and it was almost on the ground. Looking at the brake pedal, they must have been trying to wrestle it off as the pedal was bent. They must have went through the car looking for the key as they ignored an ipod, sunglasses and headunit faceplate.

I'm sure if it were more experienced thief, they wouldn't have had any problems with the brake lock. I'm lucky in that sense. Went ahead and had a Ravelco installed and put on another type of brake lock as another visual deterrent. Probably looks silly but it's my daily driver and don't want it stolen.

Last edited:
Yeah, for sure. It's better than nothing though and saved my car this time. Really just doing what I can to make it harder for them.

Ravelco? From a quick Google search it appears to be just a cheesy kill switch. Short all the connectors together and you'll complete the circuit and the car will start right up.

Whatever happened to those devices that you locked onto your steering wheel that would force the car thief to cut the wheel before driving off with your car?

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Whatever happened to those devices that you locked onto your steering wheel that would force the car thief to cut the wheel before driving off with your car?
turns out the thieves found they can also cut their own legs off and The Club (tm) would then be rendered useless.

You know what I would do? Buy a wheel clamp of some design. Oh have a pop off steering wheel like race cars have. Another one I would look at is a modified motorcycle caliper lock that has the high pitch alarms. The clamp and the caliper lock are all under $75. The quick release steering wheel is under $200 from what I can tell.

My favorite anti-theft measure is a hidden switch in series with the fuel pump or ignition so the car will just crank and not start if someone tries to steal it by busting the cylinder. The sound of a car cranking and not starting attracts a lot more attention than an alarm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back