best non dexos oil for GM engines

Status
Not open for further replies.
buddies 2013 impala with the 3.6 DI engine, 150k miles out of warranty obviously. Those of you who have run non dexos oils in these GM DI engines, which have you had success and good UOA's with? Looking for utmost protection, car is driven to Midland, Texas every 2 weeks 1800 mile round trip, all interstate miles 80-85 mph, and then once in Texas, constant sandstorms and dusty conditions. The car and under the hood is solid brown every time he comes back from a trip lol. I know the air filter is very important, we will swap out the current STP air filter for an ACdelco, and we will keep the oil changes at 5k, just looking for an oil reccomendation.

If looking for a non-Dexos non-ILSAC oil that is high in quality and should work in most PCMO applications, it's hard to go past a Euro rated A3/B4 0W40 such as M1 or Edge with OEM specs like MB 229.5, Porsche A40, etc

High HTHS > 3.5 cP (more protection reserve)
Low Noack Volatility < 10% (less oil consumption and a cleaner engine)
High TBN > 10 (for longer OCI)
with elevate ZDDP (zinc) ~ 1000 ppm level, which is an anti-wear agent to protect the metal, an anti-oxidant to protect the oil and a LSPI quencher to protect the engine. It's still cat friendly enough for the exhausts in German cars to last the distance.

I run Euro A3/B4 oils in my GM ecotec engine.

My son has the same engine in his Cadillac. Uses any synthetic oil he can find on sale. Usually a store brand that is non Dexos. 190,000 trouble free miles. Use a good air filter and there is no need to over change it. Check the oil level often and change oil regularly.

Originally Posted By: novadude
Why does it have to be non-dexos? I would say that any Dexos 1 Gen 2 5W-30 oil would be a really good choice for that application.

I'm curious about that as well? Being a 13, I would assume it calls for Dexos 1 oil? That is very easy to find and most oil companies meet that requirement.

My wife's 2017 3.6 Impala calls for D1 oil and I am currently running Pennzoil Ultra 5W-30 in it. The PP is also another great option but I chose the Ultra as it was on sale and only a couple bucks more than the Platinum.

the dexos 1 gen 2 d1g2 is actually a legit spec for all the turbo DI nonsense out there.

But if you really must use a non-dexos oil, get Castrol Edge 0w30 or Rotella T6 5w30

I use MaxLife 5w30 in my out of warranty Buick Encore. I do so because I can't change at home and the price is good. If I had the direct injection version of the engine I would stay with Dexos 1 v 2. GM isn't going to spec different versions of Dexos for different engines, so the toughest spec applies to all cars.

My only DI engine was a Kia Rio, my only turbo engine is the Encore. If your engine has both, get the new Dexos.

Any name brand 10W30 will do the job, and isn't Dexos since it's not a Dexos viscosity grade (but it should be).

M1 10W30, PP 10W30, Magnatec 10W30, etc

I just assumed there might be oils out there, such as Euro spec'd oils, that offer better protection...as to why non-Dexos oils....this is BITOG last time I checked haha. What is the difference between A3/B3 oils and A3/B4 oils? I was considering using Mobil 1 High Mileage 10W30, which is API SN and A3/B3, should this work fine? There are no others specs listed for this oil such as GM6094M or GM4718M. I was also considering using this oil in an Equinox with a 2.4 Ecotec DI and a few Chevys 1500s with the 4.8 and 5.3 Vortec.

Last edited:
Quote:
as to why non-Dexos oils....this is BITOG last time I checked haha

Yep ..... That's all I need, in fact I didn't even bother to ask, as you said this is BITOG.

Quote:
What is the difference between A3/B3 oils and A3/B4 oils?

The main difference is TBN.
A3/B4 has TBN > 10
A3/B3 has TBN > 8
To me A3/B4 is the original EP / AP / LongLife oil.

Now both A3/B3 & A3/B4 must also pass cam wear tests and piston deposit test, and for both the A3/B4 is held to a higher standard (less wear & less deposits). However for the M1 versions, I wouldn't be too concerned and I assume the major difference would be the TBN level. Mostly (I assume) to keep their HM line separate to their EP line.

I think M1 10W30 HM (SN & A3/B3) is a good looking oil, I would use it but we don't get it here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back