To change or not to change?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My girlfriends new 17 Civic is approaching 5,000 miles on the factory fill oil but the oil life still reads 60%. I know Honda says to leave the factory fill in until the car tells you to change the oil and I am sure most people do. I was thinking of changing the oil this weekend and letting the MM run down to the 15% and by then the car will probably have about 10,000 miles.

Normally I would not care, but, judging by what the MM reads and the cars current miles I would rather not let the factory fill run out to about 10,000 miles. What do you think?

Last edited:
It has the 1.5 turbo GDI engine? I would change it now and change every 5k. Does the oil have any fuel smell to it?

Not only does Honda tell you not to change it earlier, but they also give a pretty good reason why NOT to change it early. But you still want to? Crazy! Maybe you need to reread why it's not recommended to change it early again. If you still want to change it early....

Originally Posted By: burla
leave it or get another few qrts of their break in oil.

They don't use a break in oil, the higher moly content comes from the assembly lube to prevent dry start, after initial start it serves no real purpose.
If it were mine the oil would have been long gone like 4K ago.

Originally Posted By: TheIceStormof06
Not only does Honda tell you not to change it earlier, but they also give a pretty good reason why NOT to change it early. But you still want to? Crazy! Maybe you need to reread why it's not recommended to change it early again. If you still want to change it early....

The car has 5,000 miles. What ever special sauce that Honda used in their factory fill has done its job. I changed the oil on my 2015 Acoord at 6,000 miles but the MM told me it was time.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Originally Posted By: burla
leave it or get another few qrts of their break in oil.
They don't use a break in oil, the higher moly content comes from the assembly lube to prevent dry start, after initial start it serves no real purpose.
Same here. My new GLC has 1,600 on it and if I could have, I would have dumped it 600 miles ago, but out it goes in the morning.

I don't think it really matters 3K more or right now; you should be concern long term OCI

we changed on our CRV right at 5K, and dealership advised that too

What do I think?

I think you are going to do what you want to do. I also think it doesn’t much matter...
27.gif
28.gif

Me, I probably wouldn’t change it early unless there was some indicator (like fuel smell) ...
49.gif

My cx-5 is at 1900 miles and has been changed twice. once at 300miles the second at 1500. Now I'll do 5k.

Last edited:
Change it indeed. I did mine at 4600 but i wish i’ve done way before. Oil level was rapidly rising due to fuel dilution so i really uad no choice.

Originally Posted By: dan_erickson
My girlfriends new 17 Civic is approaching 5,000 miles on the factory fill oil but the oil life still reads 60%. I know Honda says to leave the factory fill in until the car tells you to change the oil and I am sure most people do. I was thinking of changing the oil this weekend and letting the MM run down to the 15% and by then the car will probably have about 10,000 miles.

Normally I would not care, but, judging by what the MM reads and the cars current miles I would rather not let the factory fill run out to about 10,000 miles. What do you think?

10,000 miles is a dream for a BITOG or UOA-er in terms of building a torque monster on a NA engine by leaving the FF in there for as long as reasonably possibly, and by golly I feel like this is reasonable as [censored], but don't call me cra..err I mean, call me cra, right? I got a small displacement turbo and it can handle about 6000 miles max due to TBN depletion by also viscosity thinning due to fuel dilution, and add to that a hot turbo where oil cools the intercooler as well as a turbo but I know little of mechanicals..

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Trav
Really ?
Would Moly not continues to perform as solid lubricant within as originally intended ?

I can't see how it could have 5000 miles on the oil and the oil life monitor only displaying 60 percent. Mine gets down to 50 percent and 2500 miles.

OP you have three choices:

1. Listen to folks on the internet and change it.
2. Listen to folks on the internet and don't change it.
3. Listen to Honda and do what they recommend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back