Something is leaking from somewhere (photo)

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s clearly coming out of the protective boot around the drive shaft on the drivers side, but a similar color and consistency fluid can be found on the passenger side on the underside of the hood.

I don’t lose a noticeable amount of motor oil or PS fluid in between oil changes, and I empty/refill the PS reservoir with each oil change.

What fluid am I losing, and where do you think it’s leaking from?

Yes the CV joints are packed with grease, and the boot is supposed to keep the grease in.

Yes, leaking CV boots. They may or may not be spit or even have a hole, at that age the grease can thin out dramatically and can leak past the clamps also.

If it is leaking from the end of the boot underneath the big clamp, then just tighten the clamp or put on another clamp. If the boot has a hole, replace the boot or axle assembly.

Thanks everybody! I knew I should have taken better photos while I was under there.

I was only on the drivers side - but it seemed to be along the end of the boot closest the center of the car , and not anywhere along the middle of the boot.

I just got hub assemblies in the mail today - so I suppose I should delay their installation until I order new boots.

Yay/boo for new projects and learning new things!

Two months ago I had to have the axle on the passenger side of my 2007 Fusion replaced for the same reason yours will need to be replaced. I noticed grease close to the boot and it had a very small hole in it.

Trav,
This is on the Buick. I noticed it while replacing the struts. I only see poly available for the outer on rockauto, but there may be poly options at the local auto parts stores.

tig1,
Hopefully I don’t need all that fun stuff, and it’s just a boot replacement.

Originally Posted By: RichardS
Trav,
This is on the Buick. I noticed it while replacing the struts. I only see poly available for the outer on rockauto, but there may be poly options at the local auto parts stores.

tig1,

Hope your right. However I had gallbladder surgery about that time and had to have it done. With labor, the cost was close to that of replacing the axle, so they put in a 3 year warrantied axle for me.

Trav,

tig1,

Poly for the outer are great as those have the greatest range of motion, the inner are okay with neoprene.

I don’t lose a noticeable amount of motor oil or PS fluid in between oil changes, and I empty/refill the PS reservoir with each oil change.

Why do you do that?.

Claud.

Most US cars don't use high end synthetic PS fluid like CHF 11S or CHF 202 so exchanging the fluid in the reservoir does help to keep the fluid in better condition longer.

On the coattails of Trav's post:

I disassembled a modern PS pump and was blown away by how small the vanes were.
Anything that small will be effected by wear sooner than the "tractor parts" some of us grew up with.

Ignoring the cleanliness of today's PS fluid is really foolish.
I hung a strong magnet in my PS reservoir yesterday....second car I've done it to.

They tell me the stuff that sticks to it is metal and ABRASIVE!

Funny, the OP was about CV joints, wasn't it?

Originally Posted By: Claud

Why do you do that?.

Claud.

Basically what Trav said.

Over the course of a week after first getting the car, I did drain/fills till I had exchanged 200% of the systems capacity.

So now, it’s just a 6-8oz change as a layered on piece of mind so I don’t have to try flushing the entire system again.

Originally Posted By: Kira
On the coattails of Trav's post:

I disassembled a modern PS pump and was blown away by how small the vanes were.
Anything that small will be effected by wear sooner than the "tractor parts" some of us grew up with.

Ignoring the cleanliness of today's PS fluid is really foolish.
I hung a strong magnet in my PS reservoir yesterday....second car I've done it to.

They tell me the stuff that sticks to it is metal and ABRASIVE!

Funny, the OP was about CV joints, wasn't it?

Frankly, I didn’t realize that anything around there would be packed full of grease that thick. I mentioned my power steering fluid change habits, and unknown changes in levels, because I suspected that somehow my car was cooling PS fluid to a paste and then slinging it onto stuff.

Originally Posted By: Trav
What car is this? Get poly boots if available and Redline CV02 grease, you will need about 14oz per side (7oz per joint).

Trav, if I’m understanding the repair on this correctly, the CV axle has to come off to remove the old boots and grease and put on the new ones, correct? Or do I just have to have it disconnected from the wheel hub on the outside?

If that’s the case, may as well just replace them while they’re off the car.

New OE ones are expensive, don't even consider the cheap stuff from China, they are nowhere near as good as the ones you already have.
Yes, you need to remove the axle from the car and a joint from the axle to get the new boots on, that the easy part.
Getting them out of these GM cars can be a pain, its tempting to use a pry bar but you can damage the transmission case, a slide hammer with attachment is better.

You can rent them or buy one, they are not that expensive. The other tool you need is Oetiker clamps pliers, they push down in the middle while crimping the sides the same as OE.

https://www.amazon.com/Lisle-30800-Boot-Clamp-Pliers/dp/B0002SREPY

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back