Ford F550 Tire recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all,

My F550 super C motorhome currently has Continental HSRs (from Ford). Any recommendations on tire brands. Appreciate it.

Last edited:
Go to tirerack.com and put in your truck. They will have recommendations for you and use reviews for each tire.

Assuming it’s the 19.5” tire option, pretty much none of us knows anything about truck tires. My advice would be find a shop that works on trucks, RVs and buses. You’ll be in for some wallet shock - but unless it’s some lower tier Chinese tire, truck tires tend to last longer and can be retreaded - but there’s also several different classes of truck tire: line haul, regional pickup/delivery, urban/transit, and off-road/severe service.

I think a regional P&D tire could work. They’re a compromise between a highway line haul tire and a urban/transit bus tire. I see Goodyear and Firestone’s take on that on Coke and Pepsi trucks as well as UPS trucks.

Last edited:
Hey mbacfp- I used to manage a large commercial fleet of F450/F550s with the 19.5" tire. I can help you out.

What is the OEM size? Might be 225/70-19.5
Do you do any driving in snow?
How many miles a year?
Budget?

I have some go to favorites in that size, just need more info on your needs.

Thanks.

Some experience with 225/70R-19.5 on a Ford F53 V-10 Class A motorhome chassis.

Had some BF Goodrich ST230's on it. No complaints, except they weather-cracked easier than most tires. Gotta love that Michelin/BFG rubber compound that cracks like none other. They dried out well before they were worn out. Covered them up, stored it inside during the winter, and the sidewalls still went to [censored].

Also some Cooper Roadmaster RM170's. These are sourced from China. Very little problem with the rubber, but they rode much rougher than they should have.

The Dayton D520S was my favorite, a good tire at a good price.. Made in the US. Did most everything well, better than the two above.

If you will never drive in snow - Bridgestone R250F all positions
If you will drive in snow - Bridgestone R250F Fronts and Bridgestone R729F for the drive tires

We currently have Yokohama tires on our F550 and have been pleased with them.

I don't have much experience with other brands, but the Firestones on my K3500 have been excellent as well.

On my class A F53 I've been running 245 70 19.5 Hankook H11, change them every 7 years as recommended and treat them to a coat of '303' every couple of months to keep the rubber protected. I'm on my 3rd set now-no complaints.

Thanks to all again...lots of great stuff to research. Danno, thanks for your help. The OEM size is correct. Annual mileage is 6,000 - 8,000 miles...no snow planned. Willing to look at all price ranges. Have firestone rear airbags and king off road shocks front and rear. Would love to further improve the ride if possible. Thanks again to all.

Also, ordered SUMMO Springs for the front and a sway bar. Night.

Last edited:
Michelin XRV is only a load range f and underrated for f550 which needs a load rang g. Michelin XZE would be a nice all position tire. BFGoodrich ST230 is another good all position tire and a 3rd option Is the Uniroyal RS20.

Originally Posted By: FordFocus
Michelin XRV is only a load range f and underrated for f550 which needs a load rang g. Michelin XZE would be a nice all position tire. BFGoodrich ST230 is another good all position tire and a 3rd option Is the Uniroyal RS20.

Michelin 225/70R19.5 XRV, 3640# Single & 3415# Dual.
Michelin 225/70R19.5 XZE, 3970# Single & 3750# Dual.

XRV....Front Axle max= 7280# Rear Axle max= 13660#
XZE....Front Axle max= 7940# Rear Axle max= 15000#

The XRV is a Coach tire & a better choice for comfort if not overloaded. The OP should know what his axle weights are (Actual & the Rating)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back