2006 sienna sloppy shifting with full fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.
We picked up a 06 sienna last year, low miles, around 96k now, 83k when we got it.

I’ve slowly been changing the trans fluid out by draining, measuring the old fluid and refilling the measured amount with Toyota t-iv fluid, what it specs. I’ve done 5 drain and fills, fluid is bright pink now. The fluid shows around the top notch in the hot measurement. After going for a 20-30 minute drive.

I’ve been struggling with intermittent poor shift quality after it warms up. Either shift flares or sluggish shifting. Cold it shifts beautifully, nice and crisp shifts through all gears.

I’ve tried to add fluid and also I’ve sucked the fluid out the full tube using my mighty VAC to a level right at the lower hot mark. It definitely shifts better with the fluid at the lower level.

Has anyone experienced running at a lower level improve shift feel?

Last edited:
Did you pull the pan or filter? I've heard of filters being changed and not seated right causing all kinds of shift issues at different levels. I believe that its also adaptive so if you have not pulled battery cable and let it sit for a hour or so. I use maxlife and Lubegard red in my Toyotas/lexus.

+1 drop the pan and change the filter. I'm sure it's covered in Goop.

I had a 98 sienna and cleaned the pan a few times, it shifted perfectly.

You mentioned you are checking fluid level hot. But are you supposed to have it in neutral with the engine running? I’d check the owners manual

Maybe clinebarger sees this, if not PM him before doing anything, he is a pro and this is what he does.
I know what I would do but I defer to him.

Last edited:
I did not drop the pan to change the filter. I’m checking it on a level surface, engine running and trans in Park. That’s what I read to do in the Sienna forums.

We have a 2005 sienna we bought new. It definitely likes the level lower than the top line and flares the 2 to 3 shift if overfilled. Pull out 1/3 to 1/2 quart and add a couple of ounces of lubegard red. It’ll be fine. The only recommended service for th U151 transmission is a drain and fill. Do NOT add lubegard “tranny-fix”. It’ll shift very harshly.

Last edited:
Try resetting the computer's memory by disconnecting the battery for 10 minutes so it will re-learn your driving style, you should notice an immediate change in shifting performance after you do this. Don't do this if you live in an area where it will need to pass an emission inspection within the next 30 days.

Just a follow up as it's been a few weeks. I added a bottle of Lubegard red and made sure the fluid was still right in between the hot marks after the LG. Shifts great now after the Lubegard has been in for a few weeks. It slowly improved over the past few weeks. No more shift flares and quality of the shifts has improved.

Not sure why the trans doesn't like just plain T-IV but happy I found a solution.

Last edited:
If the car was here, I would scan the car with Techstream to see if there are updated calibration files available for the TCM. Some of the early 3MZ-FE's with the 5-speed auto have an updated calibration available for shift quality issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back