BMW TwinPower Turbo 5W-30 (LL-01) Discontinued

Status
Not open for further replies.
BMW's "TwinPower Turbo" 5W-30 (LL-01) has been discontinued and replaced by 0W-30 (LL-01 FE), which is an A5/B5 rather than an A3/B4. It also carries API SN, so it has reduced Z/P compared to the 5W-30 which was only SL due to higher Z/P levels. BMW has retroactively approved 0W-30 (LL-01 FE) for all cars that spec'd LL-01. Maybe now we will finally get Pennzoil Euro 5W-30? (not Euro L).

TwinPower Turbo 5W-30 discontinued

TPT 5W-30 Part #: 83212365946
TPT 0W-30 Part #: 83212365950

Last edited:
So all these years BMW required a high HT/HS visc oil, and then all of a sudden they woke up one day and decided otherwise for a bunch of engines they designed several decades past. My guess is this was not an engineering decision.

Is the whole LL01 spec being retired then? If not, which bmw engines still require it?

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
So all these years BMW required a high HT/HS visc oil, and then all of a sudden they woke up one day and decided otherwise for a bunch of engines they designed several decades past. My guess is this was not an engineering decision.

Is the whole LL01 spec being retired then? If not, which bmw engines still require it?

I hear ya and agree this was likely not a decision that made their engine group happy... Also, those "older" engines are out of warranty so BMW couldn't care less. Given that they no longer make an LL-01 oil, safe to say LL-01 is being retired. I don't believe any of their engines spec it (only as a backup).

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 1JZ_E46
safe to say LL-01 is being retired.
That would kind of explain why M1 0w-40 no longer carries it. Either the new formulation couldn't meet it, or XOM just didn't care to re-certify it, knowing it is going away.

That would kind of explain why M1 0w-40 no longer carries it. Either the new formulation couldn't meet it, or XOM just didn't care to re-certify it, knowing it is going away.

I don't think that is why. "Older" specs are probably more in demand from a DIY oil change stand-point than the most current ones. Plus, M1 doesn't offer a LL-01 FE oil.

Sadly, it almost never is.

Works out to 100k for a lot of them though, since many are turned in lease cars that are sold at BMW dealers as CPO.

Originally Posted By: Dyusik
BMW has a 50K warranty on their cars. Think about it.

No wonder all of the dealers are selling it out cheap. Sucks I wish I had more, its good ot keep around in case I cant get a drum on time. They ran out of the 5/30 quickly, so I got 5 cases of the diesel and 5 of the 10/60.

safe to say LL-01 is being retired.

Yup, and why the Shell 0w-40 isn't either.

Originally Posted By: SEMI_287
Theoretically I can use M1 0w40 in my 05 and have no worries, since there is no warranty left.

I’d use M1 0W-40 in just about any BMW without worry, but with Castrol 0W-40 on the shelf next to it, for the same price, and with LL-01 certification, it’s a no brainer... EDGE 0W-40 every time.

Originally Posted By: SEMI_287
Theoretically I can use M1 0w40 in my 05 and have no worries, since there is no warranty left.

I’d use M1 0W-40 in just about any BMW without worry, but with Castrol 0W-40 on the shelf next to it, for the same price, and with LL-01 certification, it’s a no brainer... EDGE 0W-40 every time.

What I am concerned is flood of that POS Castrol 5W40 on Wal mart shelfs. I am afraid Castrol will pull out 0W40 and offer much cheaper to make 5W40 for same price.

I think there is more to it. BMW is staying with LL-01 in Europe. Here on other hand, they are taking into consideration that average owner of BMW drives in the city 99% of the time. I think for city driving, cold starts etc. LL-01 FE might be better solution. However, for driving BMW the way it suppose to be driven, not quite right oil.

Originally Posted By: edyvw
What I am concerned is flood of that POS Castrol 5W40 on Wal mart shelfs. I am afraid Castrol will pull out 0W40 and offer much cheaper to make 5W40 for same price.

I dunno. Castrol just issued a brand new MSDS for EDGE 0W-40 (as of 3/8/18), so they are clearly still working on the blend. I don’t think it’s going anywhere anytime soon, IMO. I’ve got enough for a year (usually keep 2 OCIs on hand) just in case.

Originally Posted By: edyvw

I dunno. Castrol just issued a brand new MSDS for EDGE 0W-40 (as of 3/8/18), so they are clearly still working on the blend. I don’t think it’s going anywhere anytime soon, IMO. I’ve got enough for a year (usually keep 2 OCIs on hand) just in case.

Hopefully.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back