My Routine - Hyundai Elantra and Kia Sorento

Status
Not open for further replies.
First Post!

My Grandfather taught me how to do an oil change on a 1987 Pontiac 6000 about 15 years ago. I just recently started to do them on my current cars. I'm no mechanic but oil changes seem easy enough.

I am in Alberta, Canada. Local temperature ranges from -30C to +30C over the year.

2009 Hyundai Elantra sedan 2.0L, 185,000 km on the odometer.
My wife's daily driver, 18km one way.
Hyundai OEM filter.
Pennzoil Platinum 5W-20
I have one more grey jug to use up.
I have been doing a change every 6 months regardless of mileage. Manual recommends 6 months or 6000km. I am usually slightly over 6000 km.
We plan on keeping this car for at least another 5 years.

2016 Kia Sorento 2.0T, 44,000km on the odometer.
Still under warranty for another 3 years. Manual calls for 3 month/5000 km OCI. Dealership claimed if you went over the 3 months that is okay. They always have gone by 6 month/6000km according to their sticker. As it turns out I reach 5000km approximately every 3 months anyway. I have used the dealership mostly and conventional oil.

I switched to synthetic (I believe they used Quaker State) and a local independent garage (I supplied the filter) at the last oil change. I will try changing on my own next time.

My daily driver 11 km one way.
Hyundai/Kia OEM filter.
Soon to be Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30. No real attachment to any brand but Pennzoil goes on sale regularly and they offer the rebates every year. I am stocked up for the next 3 changes.

I plan on keeping this car for at least another 8 years. No mechanical issues at all yet.

Last edited:
I hear ya...

My routine.

Sonata - 3700/6months
Santa Fe 2.0T - 3000/6moths

stop and go traffic 75% of the time.

welcome2.gif
thankyou2.gif

First, welcome to the site, Recon9.
cheers3.gif

I am currently using PP or PUP in my wife's car (2017 3.6 Chev Impala) and also the same in my truck. (2013 Ram Hemi QC 4x4)

My Ram is currently showing 46% remaining at just under 8,000 kms and my wife's car is around 42% remaining with around 2,500-3000 kms.
My truck receives 2 oil changes a year, but I do hope to have the current fill tested (UOA) to see if I can go a full year. I drive approx 50/50 city/hwy.
My wife's car, and although I also want to have her current oil tested, will likely stick with semi-annual changes as most of her driving is in the city going back and forth to work. Summer time is different as she will be driving 123 kms one way to out trailer almost every week-end.

I am currently running an XG Fram (Ultra) on her car and a CarQuest on my Ram but once the next oil changes are done, I will be strictly sticking with Fram TG's from here on out. If I do go to annual oil changes with my truck, I will most likely purchase an Ultra as well.

I have been using Pennzoil oils for quite a few years now and have no plans to change that. I believe it is great oil that consistently shows excellent UOAs from numerous members here.

Why such a short manufacturer's recommendation for oil change interval? I've owned three Kias and one Elantra and I think they called for 5000 mile changes. Always had good luck with HyunKia products.

I have no idea why they are so short, especially on the turbo. Must have something to do with the Canadian Kia division decision and the warranty is my guess.

From the canadian kia sorento manual:

Normal interval for 2.4L/3.5L is 12000km (7500 miles) or 12 months.
Severe interval for 2.4/3.5L is 6000km (3750 miles) or 6 months.

Normal interval for 2.0T is 8000 km (5000 miles) or 6 months.
Severe interval for 2.0T is 5000 km (3000 miles) or 3 months.

Once it is out of warranty I will probably switch to 6000 km / 6 months. At least to match up with the other car.

They both use the same filter, which is handy. Unfortunately they take different oil weights. Could probably standardize on one but its not a big deal.

Originally Posted By: csandste
Why such a short manufacturer's recommendation for oil change interval? I've owned three Kias and one Elantra and I think they called for 5000 mile changes. Always had good luck with HyunKia products.

Canada service requirements for KIA (and Hyundai) call for severe service requirements - 6,000Kms and/or 6 Months. More strict for turbos.

Originally Posted By: csandste

My manual says 3,750 severe service and 7,500 normal service for my 2017 Elantra. I am using PUP 5w-20 that was free from Wal-Mart and OEM filter. Next change will be Chevron Supreme 10w-30 with a Fram Ultra filter. I prefer Pennzoil Platinum but needed to use up some of the other oils I have in stock. Hyundai's bar seems low regarding oil. It specs SM oil 5w-20, 5w-30, or 10w-30 as good enough for my car.

Why such short intervals? There is a clue I found in this info from Hyundai Customer Care in Australia.

The decision between Synthetic, semi synthetic and mineral oil is not relevant as we do not publish or recommend either way. The oil must only meet the required specification.

Engine Oil Info

Since their specification for the quality of oil is minimal, intervals need to be low in case you follow the minimum aspect of that specification.

Welcome and happy oil changing! I remember changing oil since I was a teenager. Not sure who taught me. I just did it. I only remember draining oil, installing drain plug, and adding oil. All other details are missing.
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: MONKEYMAN

Why such short intervals? There is a clue I found in this info from Hyundai Customer Care in Australia.

The decision between Synthetic, semi synthetic and mineral oil is not relevant as we do not publish or recommend either way. The oil must only meet the required specification.

Engine Oil Info

Since their specification for the quality of oil is minimal, intervals need to be low in case you follow the minimum aspect of that specification.

01.gif

Originally Posted By: MONKEYMAN

Hyundai engine tech comes via Mitsubishi, they used their engines for many years. Mitsubishi also has no real oil requirments, just that it meets the specification, which is always surprisingly low. I think they know more about oil than we pretend to do...OCD is for people with money to throw away.

I think it also shows that engine failures are two things. The spec and interval was not followed. Manufacturing/design error. Obsessing about oil (which we do here) may have little impact on the later.

The engines are inherently solid. The only time this has come into question has been when machining or deburring issues were discovered at one of their plants.

Hyundai designs and manufacturers its own engines and transmissions. The Mitsubishi partnership has been over for many years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back