VOA BG products SynchroShift 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
bgsynch2.png

This one might be apotential MTL for those trannies that specify ATF or for those who use a 10 cSt MTL and it doesn't shift well in cold temps.

In what vehicle and transmission are you using this?

Let us know how it holds up long term.

Last edited:
BG SynchroShift II is getting rave reviews in the 2011+ Mustang GT community for solving notchy shifting in the Ford/Getrag MT-82 manual transmission. The viscosity is half way between the two factory fluids and the friction package works really well with this gearbox.

The factory fill fluid is either Motorcraft XT-11-QDC 75W (AKA Castrol BOT 341) that was used from mid 2011 production onwards, or XT-M5-QS 75W-90 (AKA Castrol BOT 130M) used from initial MT-82 release to mid-2011.

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
This one might be apotential MTL for those trannies that specify ATF or for those who use a 10 cSt MTL and it doesn't shift well in cold temps.

In what vehicle and transmission are you using this?

Let us know how it holds up long term.

The mustang. Mt-82 Getrag.

Here's the thing. While day to day driving and shifting have improved feel on cold days I noticed the synchros take a longer time to "bite" when shifting at high rpms compared to Honda genuine MTF 2. It's "immediate" shift feel is why I was using it and also why did the comparison post. To see if it was safe. The biggest worry I have about MTF 2 is its high sulphur smell, and blackstone gave me no count in that aspect.

I'm wondering if the FM package on the BG product is wrong. No calcium here and I thought that's what ford and Honda were using as an FM along with it's detergent properties.

On the other hand, it could be that the Honda fluid had the wrong FM and would have prematurely worn the ford synchros. Even though the packages (as per my comparison post) on the surface looked to be similar....

So confused right now. But I'll gladly give up a snappy 2nd gear hi rpm shift for the day to day driving (on the BG product) where I don't have to Be so perfectly precice about each gear change (on Motorcraft) to the point where I couldn't enjoy the car.

Last edited:
What makes the synchros so sluggish?

What would happen of I mixed the above with this:

Motorcraft FML-XT-11-QDC
AS PER MY SAMPLE SENT TO BLACKSTONE

Aluminum 0
Chromium 0
Iron 0
Copper 0
Lead 0
Tin 0
Molybdenum 4
Nickel 0
Manganese 0
Silver 0
Titanium 0
Potassium 0
Boron 4
Silicon 10
Sodium 8
Calcium 4342
Magnesium 30
Phosphorus 1492
Zinc 1308
Barium 0

SUS Viscosity @ 210 F 46.8
cSt Viscosity @100C 6.28
Flashpoint in F 405

Last edited:
Quote:
What makes the synchros so sluggish?

Recommend you give this lube some time bfore experimenting further. No MTL gives a perfect shift so there is no MT nervana.

What or how do you define sluggish synchros?

The shifter fork slides gearing forward and backward on a shaft. If the oil film is too thin, you will get a bit of stick-slip as it moves, giving a drag feeling.

If the oil fim is too thick, there will be a feeling of resistance to motion of the shifter shaft.

The FM makes sure everything is spun up before actual engagement, which reduces wear.

Last edited:
When you select a gear, you have to use hard pressure for a full second before the gear engages. As if the fluid is too slippery.

It is very smooth. But...

Went back to the Honda MTF 2 fluid because of its close add pack to QDC albeit thicker. I don't know what else to do. Motorcraft QS doesn't shift until you've driven 30 miles and QDC sucks. You can feel every crunch and grind.

The Honda fluid smooths things out considerably. As good as it will get I suppose. The occasional nibble on 2nd but the rest of the shift action is as good as my 2006 GMC canyon. HA! What a comparison! A new $40000 car shifts almost as good as a stripped out $17000 truck. Doesn't even have a tape deck.

This is my first and more than likely last Ford product. They KNEW they had problems with the QDC fluid on release and tried to bandaid the situation on the assembly line with heavier fluid.

Only after the adoption of the QDC fluid have they implemented a modification to 2nd gear (to eliminate the odd nibble and crunch) and phosporus gear coatings to address any other noise problems. Yet I can't get those upgrades unless my tranny grenades completly.

Trying to make the best of things in other words. I REALLY appreciate your advice MolaKule.

I'm starting to wonder about trying something radical, like Redline D4 or pentosin MTF2.

Last edited:
Doing research on the listed specs of this fluid for comparison sake. The GM spec comes back to Synchromesh. The ford spec "E5RY-19C547-A" has been superseded by the XT-M5-QS spec. Since that is an approved fluid for the MT-82 I have more confidence in Synchroshift for this app. Am going to have a sample analyzed at an early interval to double check any extreme wear.

Which VOA, the BG Synchroshft 75W80?

Boron 10
Silicon 9
Calcium 18
Magnesium 2082
Phosphorous 1210
Zinc 1439

Viscosity@100C 8.19
Flashpoint 410F
TBN 7.8

All other elements 0

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
Which VOA, the BG Synchroshft 75W80?

Boron 10
Silicon 9
Calcium 18
Magnesium 2082
Phosphorous 1210
Zinc 1439

Viscosity@100C 8.19
Flashpoint 410F
TBN 7.8

All other elements 0

Whatever the synchroshift II is. I'm looking for a suitable MTL for my t56 that specs ATF, and yes I've seen your thread on MTL lubes. The PDS for synchroshift II claims a 100c viscosity of 7.11, so it's interesting that the voa came back as 8.19. The synchroshift I PDS says it's 8.74, hmmmm.

It appears that BG Synchroshift had a slight formula change from I to II and the present viscosity averages around 8.5, but still falls within the upper range of the SAE 75W80 viscosity grade.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/viscosity-charts/

If you want something with a slightly less viscosity, FML-XT-11-QDC or Roytal Purple Synchromax, or any of the other ~ 7 cSt MTF fluids on my list should work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back