Most U.S. 2019 Ford Focus will be built in China

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not just China, but I try to steer clear on any imports when people here need the jobs. Wife just bought a new Cherokee which is the most American made car obtainable today along with the Wrangler. I hope the Chinese Ford is a flop.

Originally Posted By: Silverado12
Not just China, but I try to steer clear on any imports when people here need the jobs. Wife just bought a new Cherokee which is the most American made car obtainable today along with the Wrangler. I hope the Chinese Ford is a flop.

Enjoy that Fiat.

Maybe here in the USA there was a very slim profit margin on the Focus and needed to be manufactured in China ?

It's the fancy loaded trucks that Ford enjoys the big juicy profits.

Only Ford I would buy is a 70s pickup.To heck with this modern,troublesome junk.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Maybe here in the USA there was a very slim profit margin on the Focus and needed to be manufactured in China ?

Yep - and with the whole trend with trucks, even the luxury brands are scared. Lexus is doubling-down on SUVs, I wouldn’t be surprised if Cadillac brings back the Escalade EXT.

Oh really?

Quote:
The Cherokee is the first Jeep vehicle to use the Fiat Compact/Compact Wide platform,

cuz ford needed another reason for us not to buy the Focus....
crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: mightymousetech

Oh really?

Quote:
The Cherokee is the first Jeep vehicle to use the Fiat Compact/Compact Wide platform,

The internet advises me that the Toledo-built Jeep Wrangler/Cherokee are the most American made vehicles for domestic parts content, sourced engine/transmissions, and U.S. jobs supported...independent if Fiat owns them. This board still has a problem with analyzing globalism as it relates to vehicle product because it's often all over the map and changes yearly.

Originally Posted By: Vuflanovsky
Originally Posted By: mightymousetech

Oh really?

Quote:

The internet advises me that the Toledo-built Jeep Wrangler/Cherokee are the most American made vehicles for domestic parts content, sourced engine/transmissions, and U.S. jobs supported...independent if Fiat owns them. This board still has a problem with analyzing globalism as it relates to vehicle product because it's often all over the map and changes yearly.

I believe that is the cars.com rating? They changed the metric for the rating to includes sales. How many workers made the car for each sale. I don't think that's as good as total USA jobs supported, like the Camry was number one. The window sticker has the content, have a picture? I was surprised when looking at cars that things like the Corolla were made in Mississippi.

So much for the old story Jeeps were going to be all made in China.

By sending the Focus from China is a perfect example of how cheap steel will still come in tariff free as finished goods.

I've looked at a bunch of 2018 Cherokee window stickers - they all say they are made in Belvidere, IL, with 72% US/Canada part content.
I couldn't find any Toledo-built ones.

I have no problems with globalism, I just have problems with China. I don't like that country and that regime, that's all.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice

Ford probably HAD TO agree to build it there, in order to sell it there, and tap that HUMONGOUS market, unlike here, where the foreign nameplates can build ANYWHERE, and still take FULL advantage of OUR market.
mad.gif

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

I've looked at a bunch of 2018 Cherokee window stickers - they all say they are made in Belvidere, IL, with 72% US/Canada part content.
I couldn't find any Toledo-built ones.

My understanding is that the Cherokee is built in both Toledo and Belvedere whereas the Wrangler is only built in Toledo. So, I'm not clear if there's a slightly higher content percentage/economic benefit with the Toledo production or not. The study listed on cars.com only referenced Toledo.

I think the reality is that these studies have different criteria and different results so it's hard to give a definitive statement one way or another. The American University study for 2017 models has the Chevy Traverse as #1 with the Wrangler as #4. This is apparently due to criteria that emphasizes other factors like profit margin, labor, and in-house ( or U.S.-based ) R&D.

The caption below might illustrate why these lists can need interpretation versus giving you the one single vehicle that would top the list:

"In 2014, Fiat acquired the outstanding shares of Chrysler. The new entity, Fiat Chrysler Automotive (FCA), is headquartered in the Netherlands with a tax domicile in London, and shares listed on the New York Stock Exchange. As such, because of the hybrid nature of its organizational structure and its large production and R&D presence in the U.S., we assigned a value of 3 for profit margin and R&D, rather than a 6 or 0".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back