Impressed with Amsoil Power foam

Status
Not open for further replies.
Decarbonizing the top of the pistion in my 10 year old Honda GVC lawnmower. Took the plug out and sprayed directly into the combustion chamber. Basically piston soak. So far it’s turned in a black goo. Tomorrow I’ll clean it out and do it again. That is all, lol.

I really like the product myself! Works great in small engines that tend to build up carbon in the combustion chamber. I tend to do a Power Foam "decarboning" every spring before I change the oil in my mowers.

How do you go about cleaning the black goo out of your mower engine Puzzled ? Rags in the spark plug hole ?
I have a mower like that. How do you know it needed treatment ?
Thanks.

You start the engine and the compression will blow it out the exhaust. Will make quite a smoke show!

What I typically do for my spring decarboning is,
start up the engine and let it run until it is off the choke and running smooth, with the air cleaner off, start lightly spraying the power foam into the carburetor so the engine stumbles but does not stall. Keep spraying progressively heavier until the engine stalls out. Let it soak a half an hour to an hour and refire the engine. Get ready for a smoke show, make sure you do this outside!
Just don't go crazy with it and hydro lock the engine. It is tough to hydro lock with Power foam since it is a foam and not a straight liquid.

As an alternative, you can remove the spark plug and spray directly into the combustion chamber, get the engine as close to top dead center as you can, and it won't take much foam to completely fill the combustion chamber. Just be sure after letting it soak to crank it over with the starter a few times with the spark plug still removed to blow out the excess and prevent hydro lock.

Spraying into a running engine will clean the carburetor throat and butterfly and the back side of the intake valve as well.

Originally Posted By: Drosselmier
How do you go about cleaning the black goo out of your mower engine Puzzled ? Rags in the spark plug hole ?
I have a mower like that. How do you know it needed treatment ?
Thanks.

This was taken two months ago with my bore scope. It looks like some of the foam went past the rings.

Originally Posted By: cronk
You start the engine and the compression will blow it out the exhaust. Will make quite a smoke show!

start up the engine and let it run until it is off the choke and running smooth, with the air cleaner off, start lightly spraying the power foam into the carburetor so the engine stumbles but does not stall. Keep spraying progressively heavier until the engine stalls out. Let it soak a half an hour to an hour and refire the engine. Get ready for a smoke show, make sure you do this outside!
Just don't go crazy with it and hydro lock the engine. It is tough to hydro lock with Power foam since it is a foam and not a straight liquid.

As an alternative, you can remove the spark plug and spray directly into the combustion chamber, get the engine as close to top dead center as you can, and it won't take much foam to completely fill the combustion chamber. Just be sure after letting it soak to crank it over with the starter a few times with the spark plug still removed to blow out the excess and prevent hydro lock.

Spraying into a running engine will clean the carburetor throat and butterfly and the back side of the intake valve as well.

Next week I’ll fire it up and see what happens. I’m going to make my own ethanol free fuel by adding water to the fuel and drawing out the ethanol then draining the water.

Originally Posted By: ARB1977
Originally Posted By: cronk

Next week I’ll fire it up and see what happens. I’m going to make my own ethanol free fuel by adding water to the fuel and drawing out the ethanol then draining the water.

Just make sure to change the oil right after! A little always works its way past the rings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back