Lowe's Is Dumping Jimmie Johnson

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.foxnews.com/auto/2018/03/15/l...his-season.html

This is yet another sign that NASCAR is losing money for it's big name, full time sponsors. According to the article many big names are getting out of full time total sponsorships. The return on their huge financial investments is simply no longer there. This isn't surprising. All anyone has to do is look at all the empty seats at these "races". People are getting tired of being bored to death, by the way NASCAR is being run today.... And the big sponsors know it all too well.

"A full season sponsor is now almost unheard of in any racing series and one by one the Fortune 500 backers have altered their marketing spends. Target is out of racing. So is Home Depot and Sprint. UPS, Subway, Great Clips and Dollar General. Aaron's and Best Buy are gone, too. Go Daddy was gone but came back only this season for a two-race farewell tour with Danica Patrick."

honestly, part of the blame falls on JJ's success.
when he was winning all the races and championships in a row it got boring. why watch if JJ is gonna win all the time?

The glory days of NASCAR are long gone.

Dwindling people wanting to watch this type of racing. For me I watched very little after # 3 died and now that # 88 retired there is zero reason to watch it.

Maybe your title should be Lowe's dumps NASCAR..

They try hard not to show the empty stands with the camera angles but sometimes you see all the silver flash by. I was a pretty big fan in the '90s, went to a few races in the east. Kinda lost interest and now don't even understand what it is they're doing now. I just noticed the Chevys had a Camaro looking front end but looked like a Monte Carlo coupe body. What the heck, hang Camaro and Mustang bodys on those cars and go racing.

Did NASCAR start it's decline when DE died?

Edit for the 2 posts above, so it was OK for DE to win all the time but not JJ?

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
They try hard not to show the empty stands with the camera angles but sometimes you see all the silver flash by.

Notice how at many tracks, especially Daytona and Talladega, they've painted the seat backs along the front straight by the Start / Finish line all different colors? It's makes it much harder to notice they are vacant.

Excuse my ignorance, but I have never really been into NASCAR. How did it change since the 90s? What makes it worse now than back in the day?

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
DE was a real driver, not some scripted shoeshine boy and steering wheel holder....

I don't think this is happening because of the way the current crop of drivers are driving their cars. It's the stupid "Stage Racing" and all of these silly "Competition Cautions" that are designed into these races to allow for more commercial time. It's boring the "crowd", along with the TV audience to death. I mean really, who wants to see the pace car out there every 10 minutes? They have enough necessary caution flags due to the constant wrecking. They don't need any more. The problem is management, not drivers.

If you doubt that, just watch one of the older super speedway NASCAR races from the early 80's they show every once and a while. It was non stop excitement. And the seats were filled at EVERY race. Today you might just as well go to the library. It's cheaper, and just about as exciting.

DE was a real driver, not some scripted shoeshine boy and steering wheel holder....

LMAO Ddale Sr wasn't any better than Jimmie Johnson and if you think about it, JJ is probably a BETTER driver because today's cars are basically identical with aero, power and all other factors making the DRIVER the only factor. Basically everyone out there is in an identically prepared car. Back in the days of Dale Sr. each manufacturer had an edge from week to week. Engines were different, aero on cars were very different and at any given time a single manuf. could have an edge over the others. The fastest car won and wasn't as dependent on driver!

Back when Dale was winning alot, it was on race tracks that were hard to drive, the tracks had character, and it was rough and tumble.

How many of those type tracks are left? The 1.5 and 2 mile tracks sure as he!! arent that.

Again blame Nascar, not the drivers.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ssamaroo01
Excuse my ignorance, but I have never really been into NASCAR. How did it change since the 90s? What makes it worse now than back in the day?

I used to watch a lot in the late 90's and early 2000's. I quit watching when they started teh "Car of Tomorrow". They basically made all the cars the exact same and put rules on rear end gear ratios, big spoiler, etc. It ruined it for me. It used to be fun to see who would have the guts to run an aggressive rear end ratio and risk blowing up running 10k RPM for 500 miles. The new car took away any advantage that a good driver had by making the new car very stable and easier to drive. I think they have taken a step in the right direction with the rules that they have implemented this year, but maybe too late.

NASCAR is crazy expensive now. And there really isn't anything stock about a stock car. It's gotten to the point that you can't compete unless you have someone footing the bill and allowing you to get the best equipment. Racing sports need to shift back towards the roots... NASCAR needs to figure out how to scale the cars back to "stock" vehicles you can actually buy (with added safety equipment obviously) in order for the costs of the sport to become more affordable. That would allow for less expense to potential sponsors AND fans can actually buy the cars their heroes are driving. Old saying win on Sunday, sell on Monday just doesn't seem to apply anymore.

Don't forget the demographics that did attend NASCAR races are now getting older and just stay home and watch on TV.

The younger generation of people are not interested in cars going around a track and a caution for stupid things like for tires.
They want to see import drifting and drag racing events. For me I like F1 and LeMans style racing with various cars on the same track.

Originally Posted By: AZjeff

Did NASCAR start it's decline when DE died?

It sure did. He never would have put up with all of the asinine changes Nascar made in the following years.

Management cut the roots when they closed North Wilkesboro. That was one heck of a race to watch with all the bumping and rubbing. And then some joker would win it on fuel mileage!

Used to be 44 cars on the track, with 3-4 more not making qualifying....

Now there’s 40 on the track...

Dwindling people wanting to watch this type of racing. For me I watched very little after # 3 died and now that # 88 retired there is zero reason to watch it.

Yes they are driving a bunch of custom cars not what you buy and put on street. Lots of Toyota bodies running in NASCAR how many of them are front wheel drive. Its time to make America great again!

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson

Yes they are driving a bunch of custom cars not what you buy and put on street. Lots of Toyota bodies running in NASCAR how many of them are front wheel drive. Its time to make America great again!

Well, the bodies on the cars can pretty much be swapped between any of them, so why even bother giving them a name.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back