RLI 10w40 Homebrew Bio-SynXtra HD Low Ash VOA

Status
Not open for further replies.
The 10w30 RLI I got was kinda low on the cSt @ 100 so I decided to mix it with the 15w40 to make it a 10w40. I also wanted to see how two multigrade oils of the same formulation would blend together. Kinda like an experiment.

50/50 Homebrew Blend of RLI Bio-SynXtra HD Low Ash 10w30 and 15w40.

Recipe:

60 mL of RLI 10w30
60 mL of RLI 15w40
3 mL of RLI Bio-Syn Booster Pack (2.5% by volume)

I have a small lab at work. We have beakers, pipettes, and magnetic stirrers. I think my measurements were pretty accurate. I mixed it for about 2-3 minutes with the biggest magnetic stirrer we had. I was careful to mix slowly as I did not want to aerate the combined sample.

According to the Widman calculator a 50/50 blend is:

77.51 cSt @ 40
12.96 cSt @ 100

VI = 169

As Tested:

78.8 cSt @ 40
13.3 cSt @ 100

VI = 172

It's pretty close. Honestly, closer than I thought it would be. I can see the booster pack raised the Sb to over 500 ppm.

Can you guys see any problems using this stuff ? Thoughts, observations, concerns, etc...

Last edited:
Does anybody think the NOACK % will be predictable for this homebrew?

Like if the 10w30 is listed @ 11% and the 15w40 is @ 6% then 11+6=17/2 = 8.5%

8.5% sound reasonable ?

I put this Homebrew in my 2.8 Duramax today and drove it around for a couple hours.

Observations so far:

Hot idle oil pressure is the same as Delvac ESP 5w40 CJ-4. 18-20 PSI
Cold start oil pressure is lower than ESP. Pressure also falls faster during warmup. (Because of higher VI??)
Oil Pressure cruising @ 65 mph (1650 RPM) is about 5 PSI greater than ESP. 48 PSI

CJ-4 ESP has a value of 14.7 cSt @ 100c, yet this blend with a 13.3 cSt has higher oil pressure. I guess due to higher HTHS of Biosyin??? Wasn't expecting that to happen.

Engine runs smooth otherwise. Seems like a quality oil. Hopefully it lives up to the hype.

Originally Posted by CleverUserName
I put this Homebrew in my 2.8 Duramax today and drove it around for a couple hours.

Observations so far:

Hot idle oil pressure is the same as Delvac ESP 5w40 CJ-4. 18-20 PSI
Cold start oil pressure is lower than ESP. Pressure also falls faster during warmup. (Because of higher VI??)
Oil Pressure cruising @ 65 mph (1650 RPM) is about 5 PSI greater than ESP. 48 PSI

CJ-4 ESP has a value of 14.7 cSt @ 100c, yet this blend with a 13.3 cSt has higher oil pressure. I guess due to higher HTHS of Biosyin??? Wasn't expecting that to happen.

Engine runs smooth otherwise. Seems like a quality oil. Hopefully it lives up to the hype.

Cold start oil pressure is lower than ESP. Pressure also falls faster during warmup. Indicates the RLI does not get as thick at cold temps as the Delvac.

Oil Pressure cruising @ 65 mph (1650 RPM) is about 5 PSI greater than ESP. Indicates the RLI does not get as thin at operating temps as the Delvac.

So, yes, it's because of the higher VI of the RLI oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back