Rock Auto customers rates Fram high mileage filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oil Filters & Heart Icons
Tom's Story

I was so enthused about the FRAM High Mileage® Oil Filter that I cut it open after my daughter unscrewed it from her car's engine last weekend. This oil filter has a little plastic basket inside that contains FRAM's TRT™ additive gel to help balance oil pH and maintain viscosity. It was worth risking cut fingers and cleaning up an oily mess to see if any of that special gel remained after slightly more than a year and 3,000 miles (4,800 km) of city driving. The filter's plastic basket was empty so the gel had been gradually released into the engine oil as planned!

Surprisingly, FRAM has discontinued this unique oil filter. Maybe they did not see all the heart icons next to the FRAM High Mileage Oil Filters in the RockAuto catalog? A small heart icon next to a part's description means that part has been purchased most frequently (with fewest returns) by other owners of that vehicle. The heart icon is one more tool customers can use to choose the part that will best fit their needs.
heart icon next to a part's description means that part has been purchased most frequently

Part manufacturers can also get valuable insights from the heart icons. The oil filter business is exceptionally competitive. For most vehicles, RockAuto offers a huge selection of excellent oil filters made by numerous manufacturers. When there are more than a dozen competing oil filters, it is quite an accomplishment for one specific oil filter to be so popular that it earns the heart icon.

Nearly all FRAM's High Mileage Oil Filters earned the heart icon. Many have already sold-out. Last weekend, my daughter screwed on a high-tech oil filter made by another respected manufacturer.

RockAuto.com still has FRAM High Mileage Oil Filters for some very popular engines such as the FRAM HM8A that fits everything from a '58 DeSoto to an '06 Ford and the FRAM HM4967 that fits everything from a '88 Toyota to a '11 Lotus. Look under the "Engine" category in the RockAuto catalog to see all the cool oil filters currently available for your specific car or truck!

http://www.rockauto.com/Newsletter/

How do you know, "...the gel was gradually released into the engine oil as planned"?

How does anybody know what criteria are used by RockAuto in awarding those very gravitationous hearts?

Kira

'IMO', reads like an RA promotion to close out/sell what remaining stock of HM filters they have on hand. Also notice the anecdote for 3k miles, something most any filter and/API oil should easily handle.

Also imo, the HM filter a pointless filter. It was a Fram orange can (EG) rated to 5k miles with a proprietary gel basket purportedly to control or mitigate TAN. With today's great oils no need for an extra additive over a 5k mile oci, even a conventional oil. Any API rated oil meeting vehicle specs can handle that oci. Leave the oil blending to the experts.

All that said, if one likes an orange can and can get the HM filter for the same or less, no reason not buy the HM. No reason to pay the price premium over the EG they used to ask either though. From reading here and the promo board, some on bitog took advantage of the former to buy the HM.

Now it seems the HM has gone the way of the Fram Double Guard.

Originally Posted By: Kira

How does anybody know what criteria are used by RockAuto in awarding those very gravitationous hearts?

"A small heart icon next to a part's description means that part has been purchased most frequently (with fewest returns) by other owners of that vehicle. "

Maybe the HM got the heart because they've been on wholesaler closeout @ RA for a while now??

Since they've been cheap for so long I think they earned the heart by sales volume and not necessarily the quality of the filter.

I added one to a RA order a while back for my 21 year old commuter car, just because it was basically free and I was curious. While I usually use a TG or XG, for the life of me I just can't screw on that HM one because of that goo can inside. So it sits in my stash lol.

That isn't as bad as the doubleguards they still have for way more than they were ever worth new.

Nevermind the finally got rid of them.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back