Molybdenum 60 51 50

Boron 83 43 41

Water
Coolant No No No

Viscosity 12.4 12.6 11.1

TBN 2.1 2.3 3.4

Hmmmm.... a little surprising, that

Honestly - still good wear numbers.

Are you going to drop back to 12,000 for the next run?

Oil held up well, TBN is still decent for such a long run.

2.36ppm Fe per 1000 miles, which is similar to your earlier OCI's. Copper and aluminum are lower per 1000 Km.

You running this same oil next OCI?

This BMW engine behaves well with 15.7k miles OCI.
Could it go further ?
I'm not sure, but marginally I wouldn't be surprised .

Originally Posted By: FermeLaPorte
You own a BMW but are too cheap to change the oil on time?

The owners manual says 15,000 or two years.
TOTO.

Originally Posted By: shanneba
12676 miles? typo on OP?

If you subtract 41748 from 54424 I get 12676 miles.

Yes typo, 57,424 and 15,676 is correct.
TOTO.

Originally Posted By: Toto

TOTO.

True, but this is coming from a company that believes it’s drivetrain fluids are “lifetime” fluids, and a company that generally doesn’t build engines that last a long time compared to other auto manufacturers. There are plenty of sludged up BMW engines that followed the owner’s manual OCI.

And there are plenty that aren't sludged up as well following the BMW intervals.

Originally Posted By: 1JZ_E46

TOTO.

True, but this is coming from a company that believes it’s drivetrain fluids are “lifetime” fluids, and a company that generally doesn’t build engines that last a long time compared to other auto manufacturers. There are plenty of sludged up BMW engines that followed the owner’s manual OCI.

Originally Posted By: drtyler
And there are plenty that aren't sludged up as well following the BMW intervals.

That's not a very compelling argument.

If the crankcase ventilation systems are kept up and LL-01 oils used, the 15,000 mile/1 year interval works fine. Problems often arise when regular 5w-30 SN is used along with the 15,000 mile OCI.

I've bought several post-2000 BMW's used, and all were maintained by BMW at those intervals. All have been clean under the valve cover.

Originally Posted By: drtyler

That's not a very compelling argument.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

You running this same oil next OCI?

Yes the same oil will be run, it's my brothers BMW, I Service the oil changes along with the air filter and cabin filter and battery (the Deka battery was $125.00 - the BMW battery was $500.00 same exact battery as the Deka both made by East Penn Manufacturing) all other work it goes to the German Auto Garage.
TOTO.

TOTO.

Take a minute to read this post and oil analysis information in the BMW Magazine, everyone is an expert on sludge the report for the 05 is fine viscosity is in grade, no moisture in oil, TBN number is still acceptable, this is not causing sludge.
TOTO.

BMW OIL INFORMATION

TOTO.

I know a guy in Florida that worked at a BMW dealership as a mech. He told me the engines he saw that were sludged up were engines that ran too long on dino. Engines that used a quality synthetic didn't have that problem.

All of my BMWs are maintained according to the SI/CBS. I've experienced no sludge issues.
But what do I know? I've only owned, wrenched on, and competed in BMWs since 1983.

Some of the most pervasive photos of "sludged up" BMW engines are those that have been severely neglected. It was eventually revealed one particular photo everyone uses as the "15k oil changes will ruin your engine" proof was actually a vehicle that had travelled over 30k miles on a dino change.

The Indy I've used in the past have some photos on their FB page of a BMW X-series that had only seen three oil changes in 62k miles (100k km), and the cleanup effort that took. That was nasty (and so too would've been the owner's bill!).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back