Cockpit view, JAS 39 Gripen

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is that "beeping" sound in the back? To warn him that he is too low or...something from nearby airfield is triggering his sensor for aproaching missle?
smile.gif

Last edited:
Hey Astro - how does this compare with our fighters, the Typhoon, and the Russian stuff?

I'd assume this Gripen is equipped with all the latest Western radar and avionics?

This is a great fighter - lightweight, good short field performance, versatile, inexpensive, excellent flight performance and good avionics.

If I could see the HUD symbology, I could make a better guess, but I heard four distinct "beeping" tones...each one an alert. The fast-paced beeping was clearly an AOA warning. Lower speed beeping was a GPWS (ground alerting system). A couple of other beeping alerts were present, and I suspect they were different GPWS modes (bank angle, rate of descent, etc.). I can't tell exactly...

The Swedish AF has long had dispersed basees (highway sections) and LOTS of airplanes per capita - to counter the Russian threat. This airplane is a great fighter for their needs: the short field performance allows for the use of those dispersed bases. It's not long range, but it doesn't need to be. It's fast. It's simple to maintain (single engine). It's got excellent handling and flight performance.

This video was about the Gripen "E" model - a significant upgrade to the original plane. It's got a GE F414 in place of the GE F404 (yeah, it's called a Volvo, but it's a license-built engine), which adds a lot of thrust. It's got more fuel, longer range, increased hardpoints, and, most important, a new AESA radar. The AESA (electronically scanned, AKA phased array) is state of the art. The Russians have one, we have a couple, and there is this one. AESA allows you to reprogram the radar, and change its performance, all via software, to meet evolving threats and support new missiles/weapons. AESA radars can be used to gather ELINT (electronic snooping) and, in many cases, perform electronic warfare (jamming, deception, and degradation and attack of enemy radars and systems). The radar is indigenous. Swedish built.

I've suggested that other nations should be considering this airplane in previous BITOG threads. I stand by that recommendation. This is an excellent fighter.

Last edited:
I had a lot of fun implementing the Gripen's Lear-Siegler flight control laws in Ada for a flight simulator (U.S. company) for the Swedish air force in 1993.
I think Lear Siegler had some former Stengel-trained engineers working for them creating the Gripen system, which made the control laws excellent.
http://www.princeton.edu/~stengel/

And when you get a flight of 4 of these together, utilizing their digital data link and all their radars together, you can track the return 'null' of fighters like the F-22 and therefore tack and shoot down the stealth jets. This actually happened in a Red Flag exercise.

Originally Posted By: BusyLittleShop
Can I fly it???

If you fly the De Havilland Chipmunk then you get my vote for approval.

Report to Malmen Airbase in Sweeden immediately for your preflight physical, ejection seat simulator test and your dunk tank test.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack

Report to Malmen Airbase in Sweeden immediately for your preflight physical, ejection seat simulator test and your dunk tank test.

All Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet... I want to yank and bank with a Swedish female pilot...
yoga-swedish-pilot.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back