Anyone running a coolant filter on a gas engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've never heard of such a thing. What needs to be filtered out of coolant?

Originally Posted By: Leo99
I've never heard of such a thing. What needs to be filtered out of coolant?

Unless an engine was manufactured and maintained 100% correctly, there is a lot that might need to be filtered out of coolant.

In my case, rust flakes, stop leak flakes, and whatever the heck else I have seen that I can't identify.

My case was also one of a poorly maintained cooling system. Florida has a lot of vehicle owners who subscribe to the "you don't need antifreeze in Florida" mentality, not realizing they are inviting electrolytic corrosion.

I flushed all of the offending engines "until clear" many times, and the scum always came back.

Friend of mine had it so bad, that he could count of his heater core blocking after 6 months, even after doing CLR and citric acid flushes. Coolant filter saved him from ever having to do that again. We poked out the rubber "orifice" limiter, and ran it as a full flow filter leading into his heater core. The filter would plug about every 2 months instead, until it finally stopped after 4 filter changes.

Casting sand escaping from the casting after manufacture is another problem that can occur. Chrysler and Ford have had their own adventures with this. Lot of Jeep owners install coolant filters to prevent this from blocking their heater cores.

Some cars (Honda) get blocked cores for no good reason at all, and have TSBs advising CLR flush to fix this problem. Coolant filter stops that from ever happening.

Basically, a coolant filter is something for the trash to clog, rather than your heater core, if there is indeed trash in your system. Apparently, even though most vehicles will never need such a thing, no vehicle is automatically excluded from this, mostly due to casting sand issues.

I didn't know there was such a thing. I sure wish there was a way to catch the "debris" that gets stuck to the inside wall of the reservoir tank.

If you have an older gas engine (or diesel) that had neglected green AF in it, a coolant filter can help catch all the silicate drop out that collects in the nooks & crannies of a cooling system, that can be difficult to completely remove without flushing numerous times. On a newer gas engine, unless coolant has been mixed (like Dex with something else), I don't think it would catch a lot.

I've got one on the Saturd and the old van. The one on the van removed about a pound of "mud" in about a week. I'm not even exaggerating, the canister was nearly full. I'm no expert but it was probably good to get that stuff out.

Last edited:
I ran one on my Gen Coupe 2L for a year. It didn't need it and I took it off. Got one for sale.
smile.gif
makeadeal.gif

Originally Posted By: das_peikko
I didn't know there was such a thing. I sure wish there was a way to catch the "debris" that gets stuck to the inside wall of the reservoir tank.

EXACTLY.

I have washed mine out twice, and I keep thinking "where does all this scummy goo keep coming from?"

I have been given (I love free stuff!) and aluminum base (11/16" thread?) and a brand new Fram PR3909.
It DOES appear to have an additive "pill" inside the filter.... Is that a bad thing?

I use plain green coolant 50/50, and usually flush and fill every 3 years.
I always pull the reservoir and try to clean it out the best I can.

Originally Posted By: MinamiKotaro
The one on the van removed about a pound of "mud" in about a week. I'm not even exaggerating, the canister was nearly full. I'm no expert but it was probably good to get that stuff out.

Dis you post that in a thread here a few months ago?
I seem to recall that - and I was SURPRISED to see THAT MUCH gunk!!!

I have been reading a bit online.....

Apparently, a coolant filter with a Supplemental Coolant Additive (SCA) included inside is a BAD thing - - it can cause silicates to drop out of the coolant and make a nasty sludge (usually caught by the filter, though?)

I really don't know EXACTLY what coolant is in my engine (I know it is not G-05)....
It's just plain yellow bottle Prestone. I don't know if that compatible with the filter or not.

https://www.aftermarketsuppliers.org/councils/FMC/filter-faqs/heavy-duty-coolant-filter

Q: What happens if the coolant system is overcharged with additives?
A: Over charging or over concentrating a coolant system with additives will result in the formation of solids. These solids will form deposits that drop out and clog passage ways in the system preventing proper heat transfer. These solids are also very abrasive and will permanently damage surfaces they come in contact with. If a coolant filter is in use, it will be quickly plugged up.

Q: Should I consider using coolant filters on gasoline engines?
A: Yes. The overall up time and usability of gasoline engines can be greatly increased by treating the coolant systems used with gasoline engines the same way diesel systems are.
Due to the total capacity of most gasoline engine coolant systems, the use of a liquid SCA and an additive free filter is recommended.

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
In my case, rust flakes, stop leak flakes, and whatever the heck else I have seen that I can't identify.

My case was also one of a poorly maintained cooling system. Florida has a lot of vehicle owners who subscribe to the "you don't need antifreeze in Florida" mentality, not realizing they are inviting electrolytic corrosion.

Yes, generally it's BITOG OCD, but when it something that comes in handy for a certain application, it definitely comes in handy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back