New ride! I'm "shocked"...

Status
Not open for further replies.
This came so out of left field I'm still a little surprised at myself. I finally got around to car shopping to replace the Marauder, and although I wasn't really looking that hard I ended up with what I think just might be my favorite vehicle yet, that I've owned.

She's all plugged in for the commute! 2013 Chevy Volt. 123k miles. It was an IA car it's whole life, not a spec of rust on it. The interior looks immaculate. I haven't even begun to play with the gadgets, I need to set up Onstar so I can utilize the Android app. I'm so excited! It's quite the upgrade over the Marauder, it's almost shocking thinking what a difference 10 years makes for technology.

It's going to be interesting to watch the OLM. I have no idea what oil is in it now, but the OLM is at 98%. It's probably going to be a once a year affair. I may swap whatever filter is on it for a Fram Ultra, just for peace of mind.

Sorry for the [censored] pic in the garage, it was a long drive to pick her up and it was dark by the time I got home.

It looks like a Civic and Accord had a kid. 98% reading? I would go cra waiting for that one, mine goes in 10% blocks and it already aT 60% AND IT SEEMS in LESS THAN 2000 MILES. LOOKS LIKE ANOTHER 4000K oci FOR ME. bUT YEA, MY olm/mmS GOES DOWN TOO FAST FOR ME TO WORRY ABOUT 10THS OF PERCENTAGES. just insanity.

Last edited:
Like it. But this summer drywall and insulate your ceiling. It makes a world of difference. Warm in winter, cool in summer!
lol.gif

Last edited:
So i'm a little out of the loop but do you need a special power supply to plug it in or just any old outlet? Looks like you were set up already. Looks like a nice car.

Originally Posted By: bruckus
So i'm a little out of the loop but do you need a special power supply to plug it in or just any old outlet? Looks like you were set up already. Looks like a nice car.

The car comes with a 120v (slow) charger. My garage isn't wired up for 240v yet, but it is on a 20A circuit, so I can use the higher setting that's available when you plug in. It gives you the option of 8A or 12A charging depending on wiring.

I'm considering upgrading to 240v, but probably not until next year.

Nice! I considered one of these last year when I bought my Sonata. Having a backup gas engine would be great for long distance trips.

Does your work have any electric car parking spots? If not talk to them about adding one, my company added a few and they're happy to do it, I guess they get a tax break for it.

I don't know if I'm more in envy of the Volt or the garage. Both are sweet.

Originally Posted By: dishdude

What's so special about his garage ?

The Volt is a nice vehicle. My manager has one and it's been trouble free for the past 50K miles.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice

It's not stuffed full of excess possessions like every 2 car garage in Arizona?!

Ha. The garage is plain Jane, but at least it's brand new. Lots of lights and lots of outlets.

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
How far is your commute? You know you bought the car everyone hates except the owners? Good luck with it!

My commute is 26 miles round trip. 30-60 miles an hour with traffic. Lots of chances to coast and regen the battery while in traffic. In theory my day to day driving will be gas free!

Did you encounter any resistance when buying? I'll bet you're really amped up for the commute now.

Ok, I'm done. Nice. Curious to hear your experience with the vehicle. I've debated getting one, but I'm not ready to part with the Sonata and don't need another daily-driver otherwise. I figure with my commute to the train station and plugging in overnight, I could probably go all week without burning any gas so I'm curious to hear real-world results.

Originally Posted By: opus1
Did you encounter any resistance when buying? I'll bet you're really amped up for the commute now.

crackmeup2.gif

Just try to stay current with any recalls and potential problems that people are having. These are known to have issues with shocks, right?

How much were you charged, by the way?

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice

The Volt is a nice vehicle. My manager has one and it's been trouble free for the past 50K miles.

He has one?

Thanks for all the compliments guys. I've only put about 70 miles on it and 3/4 of that was driving back from the dealer.

I paid $9,500 out the door, tax title license. Can't imagine getting a better value for the money. I was spending $200-$250 a month in fuel before this, so once I see how much real world consumption is I'll have a better idea of my total savings. I'm hoping that just removing the fuel bill will almost cover the car payment and insurance.

5 star as expected

"May 13, 2013 - In government crash tests conducted by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), the Volt received 5 (out of 5) stars for overall crash protection."

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back