2018 VW Tiguan

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife has an interest in this vehicle because the way it looks and also it has the option/capability of 7 passenger if she needs to cart a few extra small kids. We have three kids(12,10,4) and this would be her commuter. We own a larger vehicle that seats us all well.

I know reliability is a wildcard with VW, anything else I should be concerned with like expensive maintenance etc?

How far are you from a VW dealer or good independent?

3rd row kids usage will be spotty (I own a mazda5 in the same arrangement). My guess you will have it down a lot for trunk space.

user Surfstar suggested Geikko's mechanical break-down insurance for extra non-headache factor.

Tiguan is made in USA,TN,Chattanooga?

Are you sure she does not want the Alltrack wagon?

I'm not sure until when, but some VW dealers where having about $7,500 discount over invoice/MSRP as a start for new 2017s.....

VW ATLAS??? http://www.vw.com/models/atlas/?ssem=ssem_lid=43700030357760313&gclid=CKnvhoKk79kCFQp4gQod3fQNRw&mkwid=slid=43700030357760313&ds_s_kwgid=58700003819861081_%7bcreative%7d_%2Bvw%20%2Batlas%20%2Breview_e_c&mtid=901kjf6786&slid=&product_id=%7bproduct_id%7d

The VW dealer across the river from Washington DC, Alexandria VW, has the best prices on new VW's in the nation.
Virgina car dealers typically charge a $599 doc fee however.

If you will use the larger vehicle for family road trips but want something that can still haul the family if needed, I 2nd the Alltrack.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
The VW dealer across the river from Washington DC, Alexandria VW, has the best prices on new VW's in the nation.
Virginia car dealers typically charge a $599 doc fee however.

There is also Sheehy VW of Springfield, VA that has very good prices as well. That's where I picked up my GTI on the cheap last year. There's ways outta that doc fee though, or atleast lower it. I think I got mine reduced to $399.

Anyways, I think the OP needs something a little bigger than the Golf Alltrack. IMO the Tiguan would suit the family needs ok. The 2.0T is in alot of VW/Audi models, so I don't think you can go wrong there. Being in NE I would imagine you would want the AWD version. I don't have first hand reports, but I hear good things about VW's AWD system.

She is trying the sportwagen, Tiguan and used Passat as they depreciate like rocks.

The local dealer is in town and reputable.

Atlas is a fuel pig just like our 7 passenger SUV MDX.

I like to look of the 2018 Tiguan. One of the best looking crossovers on the road in my opinion. The engine should be fairly reliable. Its their EA888 2.0T tuned for this app. Same engine family as the TSI VW/Audi that's been around a while. Maintenance should be 10k intervals on VW 502.00 grade Synthetic.

Last edited:
I would still go for:
-Tiguan (no manual/stickhift?)
-sportwagen 4motion (awd): manual?
-alltrack manual/stickshift exist and VW forums say the gearing may be better for fuel consumption than the GSW 4motion.

FWD GSW manual/stickshift have been reported in 36/40+ MPG.

Passat wagons at this time are kind of old.......

Just bought one, trading in my alltrack. Alltrack is a fantastic car but to be honest, rear seat room is pretty tight. The Tiguan is very roomy and will be a good road tripper. It’s got the 2.0t in a slightly different tune than the gti. It actually specs 0w 20, vw 508. I’ve only got 500 miles on mine but am really enjoying it. Fuel economy is pretty stellar. I went with a 4motion se with pano roof. Got a good deal, on my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back