Anyone running a tune on the 1.4 turbo?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
https://www.trifectaperformance.com/foru...urbo-advantage/

I just happened to stumble across this while reading another thread about premium gas in the 1.4T and it looks intriguing to say the least... $300 ain't bad.

TRIFECTA presents: Chevrolet Cruze 1.4T MY2011--2016 Cruze Limited Calibration (December 2015 Update) Specific power increases of up to +51 ft-lbs and +44 WHP peak to a completely stock Chevrolet Cruze 1.4T.

The TRIFECTA powertrain recalibration for the Chevrolet Cruze 1.4T blends class leading all-around performance with improved fuel efficiency.

For those vehicles with automatic transmissions: All TRIFECTA Powertrain Recalibrations include updated automatic transmission calibrations which provide smoother shifting, improved shift times, and improved shifting logic vs previous calibration revisions; updated featuresets include rolling anti-lag and 300 percent faster shifts than stock.

For those vehicles with manual transmissions: All TRIFECTA Powertrain Recalibrations offer "no lift shift", allowing the driver to shift the transmission at lightning quick speeds without losing turbocharger boost. The shift is executed as normally, with the clutch, but the accelerator is held to the floor to retain full boost.

With the current generation of TRIFECTA's flash loader solutions and the TRIFECTA Transparency featureset, when flashing your vehicle, the TRIFECTA flash loader does not increment the ECM write counter or increment entries in the flash history.

With the December 2015 update, TRIFECTA Driver Selectable Vehicle Modes, version 2 (DSVM II) is included. Select between SPORT and STOCK mode, on the fly with the cruise control arming switch. Cruise control system functionality is completely retained and unaffected by DSVM II.

In SPORT mode, the vehicle responds much more quickly to accelerator input. Automatic transmission shift patterns are optimized for maximum performance and responsiveness. During "everyday" driving manuevers, the vehicle feels very much like it did from the factory, but rolling into the pedal quickly reveals a vehicle that wants to GO. Attentive, but without being "twitchy", power delivery is linear and transmission shifts are purposeful. The vehicle produces maximum TRIFECTA power!

In STOCK mode, the vehicle behaves just like it did from the factory, under all driving conditions!

The Chevrolet Cruze 1.4T TRIFECTA powertrain recalibration delivers more than 130 horsepower per liter and more than 140 ft-lbs per liter – powering a fuel efficient vehicle whose drivers are more inclined to use it while ensuring critical powertrain reliability. Enhancements made to the Chevrolet Cruze 1.4T Ecotec engine software to withstand the added stresses include:

Extended testing of more than 100,000 miles with 100 hrs + of wide open throttle testing
Powertrain calibration has been tested and validated for various environments, such as cold/heat, elevation, and variations in fuel quality
Octane Adaptive construct enables multi-phased timing tables: Five distinct timing tables replace the OE GM implementation of high/low octane tables
Multi-dimensional Airflow Coefficient tables, adds air pressure bias and knock history overlay for enhanced accuracy in boost scenarios
Virtualized torque prediction coefficients recalculation model added
Airflow based commanded fuel ratio strategies added
Multi-stage knock sensor decay and recovery rate tables added
TRIFECTA ECP.MK2 (Hybrid Speed Density) support and constructs added

The TRIFECTA Advantage Calibration is meant for 100% stock vehicles. No individualizations or support for parts that do not function on factory calibration (if you have such modifications, be sure to check with us prior to placing order). No remote tuning.

Additional information:

-This powertrain calibration includes a TRIFECTA powertrain calibration file specific to your vehicle and includes a flash loader device
-Premium fuel is recommended for maximum power output, but not required
-Advertised gains are quoted as 'up to' and may be less for a vehicle operated at altitudes higher than near sea level.
-Powertrain calibrations currently exist for the US, CA, EU, RUS/CIS, MEC, and Asia areas, with more regions to follow.

https://www.trifectaperformance.com/foru...urbo-advantage/

I just happened to stumble across this while reading another thread about premium gas in the 1.4T and it looks intriguing to say the least... $300 ain't bad.

Whenever I think about a tune on a turbo car I always wonder how much the stock clutch or auto trans can take and for how long. 50 both ways? That seems like a lot for just a tune on a car that has 138hp/150tq. For $300 that is a no brainer, but I would gauges to monitor EGT and boost.

It's entirely worth the money and really wakes up the car. I bought their BF deal they had for my Sonic 1.4T. It was 100 dollars off so I paid 298 for the Elite version. Huge increase in mid-range power. The cruise on/off button system works as advertised and the difference is very noticeable.

My biggest issue with it since I have an RS manual first gear is very short and cold/wet weather traction becomes a large problem even on brand new tires...

With the current generation of TRIFECTA's flash loader solutions and the TRIFECTA Transparency featureset, when flashing your vehicle, the TRIFECTA flash loader does not increment the ECM write counter or increment entries in the flash history.

I am REALLY curious/wondering just how they accomplished THIS^^^ above?!?
confused2.gif

Maybe the GM ECMs are not as sensitively 'written' so as to pick this up, like the Ford ones are, and like the Ford techs are trained to check on as a matter of course with their 'mod detective' program?
21.gif

IF TRIFECTA was able to do this in a way which will even get around the FORD systems, Cobb, SCT, and Livernois had better take heed, and develop the same.
wink.gif
19.gif

Originally Posted By: gberg
It's entirely worth the money and really wakes up the car. I bought their BF deal they had for my Sonic 1.4T. It was 100 dollars off so I paid 298 for the Elite version. Huge increase in mid-range power. The cruise on/off button system works as advertised and the difference is very noticeable.

My biggest issue with it since I have an RS manual first gear is very short and cold/wet weather traction becomes a large problem even on brand new tires...

The Sonic RS manual was the only other new car I was considering when I was shopping for the ST.
wink.gif
thumbsup2.gif

FWIW I had a Chevy Cruze and it does lack a little power during hard acceleration. However, I wouldn't tune it as these engines seem to be relatively fragile when beat on. They hold up really well if left alone, though. Mine was 100% trouble free and I bought it as a used rental so God knows how it was driven before I got it.

Unless there are literally 100's of 1.4T owners who have run this for 100k+ miles without issue, I wouldn't flash it unless I was able to monitor and log the affects:

Fuel trims, knock values, boost, turbo dynamics, AFR, etc.

The 1.4T isn't bulletproof, but on Cruzetalk.com you'll find all the R&D on this tune and others you care to read. Plenty of people have been running tunes for plenty of miles.

The piston cracking was primarily due to defective parts in the 2011/2012 MY's - it's not an inherent design flaw.

I think the 1.4T has plenty of power to make the Cruze fun, but mine's a stick shift. Ride along with me on the backroads and I'll have you questioning my sanity. If you wanted something that'll smoke the tires off you shoulda sacraficed 5-10 MPG and 10 grand more.

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
How does a tune get by the emissions testing people in your county?

Depending on the tuning system/device, one can pull out the aftermarket tune onto a hand held device (or laptop if that's the only choice), and re-install the saved factory tune, for the day of the OBD 2 plug-in test (for those of us who have that in our locales), and then re-install the aftermarket tune after passing.

The problem comes when a DEALER uses those aforementioned detected re-flash/reprogram 'counts' as evidence that the car was tuned or modded (or if there is a severely draconian state inspection system, like Cali's).

I have heard of people passing the OBD 2 state inspection plug-in even with an aftermarket tune still installed in the ECM, but not sure how radically different said tune was from the factory tune.

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
How does a tune get by the emissions testing people in your county?

Most emissions tests are OBD. A tune can change the ECM parameters and disable certain codes that might be triggered by mods. If there are no codes, it passes. OBD emissions tests are not sophisticated.

Sometimes I think about tuning the 1.0 Ecoboost. Pumaspeed in UK will send a tuner with various tunes for $600 or so. My only question is how it affects the engine's longevity. It is already running 20 psi in overboost to make 148 torks. A simple tune can easily push peak torque to 180+. How much can a little engine take?

They (the 1.0T I-4, 1.6T I-4 and 1.5T I-3 EcoBoosts) ARE fairly strong little power plants, and remember, you are NOT going to be at peak; torque/boost, revs, and wide open throttle all of the time.
wink.gif

BTW; There are some in the Fiesta ST world pulling over 425 WHP out of these things on an unopened FACTORY long block with a tuned big turbo system, and all of the auxiliary supporting mods (4 port injection added, and possibly a water-methanol injection system as well) added, and YES, they ARE 'streetable' in this form.
19.gif

Believe it or not, the IB6 transaxles, and even the factory clutch (if not too worn already when these power mods are done) can handle these power levels quite well.
I still argue with some of them that an aftermarket limited slip diff IS an ABSOLUTE at those power levels, even though some of them claim otherwise as long as VERY sticky tires are employed.

Originally Posted By: Alex_V

I think the 1.4T has plenty of power to make the Cruze fun, but mine's a stick shift. Ride along with me on the backroads and I'll have you questioning my sanity. If you wanted something that'll smoke the tires off you shoulda sacraficed 5-10 MPG and 10 grand more.

I never intended to buy anything fast, but it's hard to sneeze at 40 HP for $300

tunes are fun + usually void the warranty + other upgrades can enhance the tune. tubos like free flowing exhaust, especially the downpipe just off the turbo. as torque goes up torque steer can be an issue as was the case in my 01 1.8T jetta. i went from 150 hp + 162 tq to 250 hp + 275 tq + thats on port injection!! i added a Quaife torque biasing differential as torque steer was brutal. a fun driver + great in the pa snows with 4 snow tyres. factories tune conservatively + todays DI allows more boost faster but still requires premium fuel depending on the tune. if you got the $$$ for it + any possible side effects go for it!! of course the drivetrain gets stressed as well + using the best oils aka Ester oils like Redline help the turbo live longer. i traded @ 200,000 miles still running great + got another 1.8T but Audi TT roadster this time. the 1.8T are stout engines more so than todays turbo'd engines built for economy!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back