Change to Mobil 1 on older engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife drove a entry level 2009 Toyota Camry until we gave it to our daughter and she wrecked it at 155,000 miles. I have always done the maintenance on all our cars. I swapped over to Mobil 1 at 90,000 miles and shortly after that the 4 cylinder eng started burning oil. It was using 2,qts over the 10,000 oil change interval. I think it was valve seals because it would puff out a blast on the daily cold start. I’m convinced the oil swap caused this. I changed the oil sense new every 5000 before swapping to Mobil 1. I made the oil same swap on my Honda Fit and no issues.
I replaced the 09 Camry with a 2010 Camry that was almost identically and has 155,000 miles. It was a used car with minimal maintenance records. No clue what oil had been used, but it uses zero oil. I’d like to put Mobil 1 in this one at the next change and move to a 10,000 mile change interval, but I’m concerned what happened before may repeat.
Has anyone experienced this issue on the big Toyota 4 cylinder engines?

Did it burn any oil before the M1?

You didn't mention the grade/weight of oil used; with that many miles you might benefit from moving up, for example from 0w20 to a 5w30..

It could be doing some cleaning in the ring area, today oils have good cleaning abilities. Give it a few more OCI it may get better.

Try a different synthetic with fewer cleaners to start. The M1 might have cleaned some gunk that was pluggin a oil leak path.

You can also increase oil weight to the max your engine recommends.

My wifes sienna V6 with 10K mile burns less than 1/2 qt on M1 AFE 0w20. 2qts seems high.

Originally Posted By: Trav
It could be doing some cleaning in the ring area, today oils have good cleaning abilities. Give it a few more OCI it may get better.

Good point I didn't remember to make. M1 does clean well and I switched an older vehicle (95k) over to synthetic and it leaked a little for about 3000 miles.

Your opinion of old differs from mine. I have a 2006 Escalade with 160k on it and I don't consider it old. I think 2k+ anything has much better engine design with much tighter tolerances than the 1990s. That being said it still comes down to maintenance. If the engine was poorly maintained and is burning oil because the rings and valve seals are worn out running Mobil 1 will only make the consumption worse than it already is. If you have a well-maintained engine from the 2K era that doesn't burn any oil by all means Mobil 1 is the way to go. No need to choose high mileage oil just because of the miles. If you see any mild consumption initially running synthetic oil don't worry about it that's pretty normal. It should get better over time as you get a new glaze. You could also opt for a little bit thicker synthetic because of the flow. A 10 W 30 might help or even 0w 40. But I would just be patient with 5w 30 or whatever the manual calls for. See what happens over 2/3 or oil changes

I switched to Mobil ! on a new to us Volvo 5 cylinder with 91000 miles. The car was serviced at a local iffy lube with the cheapest oil per receipts from the previous owner. Some cleaning as evidenced by the first few oil changes. Deposits in the oil filter and general crud when looking in the oil fill have cleaned up by the Mobil 1. Uses ~ 1 quart at oil change, 5000 miles. No leaks.

Heard too many stories of M1 causing oil consumption. Why not use Valvoline Maxlife Full Synthetic? Same price as M1 HM pretty much!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dogememe
Heard too many stories of M1 causing oil consumption. Why not use Valvoline Maxlife Full Synthetic? Same price as M1 HM pretty much!

My Colorado never used much oil UNTIL I introduced it to Valvoline Maxlife Full Synthetic. How ironic in-that I'm replacing the Valvoline with Mobil-1.

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en

My Colorado never used much oil UNTIL I introduced it to Valvoline Maxlife Full Synthetic. How ironic in-that I'm replacing the Valvoline with Mobil-1.
I love hearing these stories all day at work. "Different Motors like Different brands". You just got to find what your engine likes.

Why would you want to introduce seal swellers into the system unless you have a problem?

Originally Posted By: JLTD
Did it burn any oil before the M1?

You didn't mention the grade/weight of oil used; with that many miles you might benefit from moving up, for example from 0w20 to a 5w30..

No not a drop

Does not look like anyone read or commented on smoke bomb on startup and seals looking like issue.
O well

Originally Posted By: bugeye
I switched to Mobil ! on a new to us Volvo 5 cylinder with 91000 miles. The car was serviced at a local iffy lube with the cheapest oil per receipts from the previous owner. Some cleaning as evidenced by the first few oil changes. Deposits in the oil filter and general crud when looking in the oil fill have cleaned up by the Mobil 1. Uses ~ 1 quart at oil change, 5000 miles. No leaks.

What oil are you using in that 5 cylinder Volvo?

I have three Volvo cars. The S60 2.5t AWD and 2002 V70 2.4t get Mobil 1 0-40. These cars were dealer maintained from day one (Carfax Report), and don't use any oil. One oil change a year at about 7,500 miles.
My 2001 V70 2.4t is my main driver that gets Mobil 1 5-30 HM....but, burns about a quart of oil every 2,000 miles. So, I'm running this oil change out to 8,500 miles and getting a Blackstone oil check. That should be in about 3 weeks. Then its getting Mobil 1 10-30 HM for the summer.
No oil leaks or signs of startup smoke. Also complete PCV job, and I have a Dwyer manometer to check negative pressure in the engine. Runs great, but uses oil. All three cars are going to get oil reports this year.

What oil are you using in that 5 cylinder Volvo? [/quote]

Purchased '04 XC70 in summer 2013 as college commuter transportation. ~ 91,000 miles. Immediate oil change drain was black with crud in the filter, 2100 miles since last iffy change per previous owners receipts. Slotted screen under the oil fill cap had hard black deposits which could not be wiped off. Now at 142,000 miles using mostly 10w-30, 5w-30 Mobil 1, with an occasional PP due to stash availability, the under cap screen sparkles. The oil filters have almost no deposits and the engine does not leak. Oil and filter changes range 3500 - 5500 miles due to the car being 150+ miles away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back