1GR-FE Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am comparing the 4 oils below for my 4Runner. I am thinking I will not be working the engine very hard so I will go with the 0w-20 as per primary recommendation from Toyota for fuel economy. OCI will be 1 year in the Summer. Lots and lots of short trips, a little highway and driving to work 8 miles each way. 4000-8000 miles a year.

If the time comes where I am towing or driving with more engine demand I will move up to a Xw-30 oil.

I am looking at pros and cons of the below oils:

Ravenol ECS 0w-20- PAO based, good NOACK

Schaeffers 9000 0w-20- healthy dose of Moly, lots of users happy with Schaeffers products

Amsoil Sig. Series 0w-20- Seems like a good overall oil, well regarded

Mobil 1 AFE 0w-20- good overall, just seems so boring for an oil Guru

Other threads poo pooed my Eneos Sustina and TGMO idea, saying that they were geared towards extreme fuel economy benefit and nothing too special overall.

Yes, I know this vehicle will probably outlast me, but am looking for an oil that is the best match for my engine and conditions. I will most likely stick with the chosen oil for the life of the vehicle/me.

Why not just run M1 EP? If I was looking for a boutique oil for this application it would probably be Redline 0w20. There's benefits to running a readily available oil which M1 AFE / EP are.

I have the same engine and I run PUP 5W30. I am expecting some Blackstone UOA results soon. Maybe that'll help you decide.

Even if you are not running hard a 5w20 or 5w30 synthetic may be a better choice. They have to run all the sequences tests unlike the 0w20.

Interesting, I didn't realize 0w-20 oils were not put through the sequence test. Are the 0w-30's?

Any name major brand synthetic would work. Wait for a clearance sale or promotion for $10-$12/5qt jug and load up. That's your new favorite brand.
smile.gif

I've done what with PP, M1 AFE and QSUD. This is for my 14 Sienna with the same engine. I use OEM filters bought in a case of 5-6 from ebay for ~ $5 each.

Last edited:
Shannow replied with the sequence test deposit formation exemption for 0w20 ilsac oils in your other thread.
The table shows the specific exempti9. For the deposit formation test that 0w20 ilsac gf5 oils enjoy.
To answer your question, 0w30 ilsac gf 5 grades have to undergo all of the test.

Last edited:
I’d go with something you can readily obtain at a good price. I’ve yet to see definitive proof that an expensive boutique oil is better than something like M1 or Castrol EP, especially for a rather vanilla engine like the 1GR. Remember, the R&D budgets and procurement ability are far greater with a company like XOM and BP. Given the volumes and the fact that XOM and BP make the base stock, a $5/qt M1 oil could be identical or better than a $8/qt Amsoil purely because they can leverage lower costs and margins.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back