Distributor Cap and Rotor Replacement?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does the Distributor Cap and Rotor need to be replaced? My 290k miles car has original distributor cap, rotor and wires and runs strong without any problems. Would I see any benefit changing those items even when my car is running perfectly?

Doubtful the originals are on this car. Unless you've owned this car since it was purchased new, those items have probably been replaced.

Yes they do, like spark plugs they erode causing a wider air gap which requires higher firing voltage. You can have a low misfire count and not even notice it until it increases to a full blown miss, the wider air gap also places additional stress on the coil.

Yes; when I had a vehicle with this ignition, I usually changed the plugs, cap and rotor at every 2nd spark plug change - each plug change was 30,000 miles.

Yep, good idea to replace them. I replaced mine at 180k and noticed a smoother idle and small MPG increase.

I always replaced the cap and rotor when I replaced spark plugs. Seriously doubt you have the OEM parts. Don't expect a noticeable change if you haven't been experiencing ignition problems.

It's a good idea to change the cap and rotor every other spark plug change. while the terminals do wear and pit due to unavoidable arcing everytime the rotor contact goes over the cap contact for each cylinder and the center contact wears down(it's a carbon nub that's spring loaded like a motor brush) you also have ionized air that has a good bit of ozone in it. If the cap's plastic weakens and cracks or if there's a carbon track on the inside of the cap, it's an ideal condition for a voltage leak.

Take the clips off the cap and have a look at each contact and the edge of the rotor. If there are any deposits on the contacts, replace the cap and rotor. I wouldn't bother with the wires unless you feel like updating them or the engine has trouble starting.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: javacontour
Doubtful the originals are on this car. Unless you've owned this car since it was purchased new, those items have probably been replaced.

I'm the original owner

Originally Posted By: Yah-Tah-Hey
I always replaced the cap and rotor when I replaced spark plugs. Seriously doubt you have the OEM parts. Don't expect a noticeable change if you haven't been experiencing ignition problems.

My dad is the original owner, I don't think he has changed those items

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back