Looking in center tube 2- Baldwin

Status
Not open for further replies.
The center tube is jagged and doesn't go all the way to the end cap. Hard to get a good shot of it without can opened. Goes about half way around with the gap and looks worse by eye than this. The yellowish media can be seen and the center tube edge. Another waste of money.

Yes, Baldwin is trying to get away with something here. Good on you for pointing out their evil conspiracy. Call the press!

Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder
Yes, Baldwin is trying to get away with something here. Good on you for pointing out their evil conspiracy. Call the press!

21.gif
You make no sense. I am showing a fact with a picture. Maybe try a second mind track and get off the one track.

I see the gap with media showing through the gap when zoomed in. Looks like a media bypass oil leaker. Lack of glue seam?

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
That picture shows us nothing you need a much better picture.

Zoom in to the top back area of the center tube through the base plate center hole. I see a gap with media pleats showing.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
I see the gap with media showing through the gap when zoomed in. Looks like a media bypass oil leaker. Lack of glue seam?

The center tube stops short, the media goes all the way to end cap afaik. There is no end cap support for this center tube about half way around it's diameter. The other half is filled with glue. May still work ok for most uses, but the tube is also cut poorly. No soup for me, scratch one more. Next, #3 will be look down Boss center tube. Not too great either. Someone else saw the same problem on a Baldwin some time ago. It's QC on the assembly line I think, not the material, not the design. It's really a problem when people need to make a living wage, against the owners need for production. It's like the old I Love Lucy skit where she can't keep up with the assembly line. A $5 oil filter isn't going to be hand made in Geppetto's workshop.

You can't tell anything about the center tube in these pictures. The only thing I see appears to be the glue on the base plate missing on the right side of the first picture.

Originally Posted By: 6starprez
You can't tell anything about the center tube in these pictures. The only thing I see appears to be the glue on the base plate missing on the right side of the first picture.

Red arrow points to a gap at the end of the center tube. You can see the media pleats through the gap.

Originally Posted By: rollinpete
21.gif
That looks like the adbv. I'd cut it open.

I can clearly see the media pleats through the gap.

Possibly there's a problem there, but I don't see why the center tube not reaching fully to the end cap is necessarily a problem, as long as the end of the media is securely sealed to the end cap. Sloppy-looking, yes, but not clearly a cause of bypassing. The media isn't going to blow through that narrow gap, any more than it blows through holes in the middle of the center tube. Cartridge filters function with effectively no center tube---and no end cap either, on some designs.

Originally Posted By: CR94
Possibly there's a problem there, but I don't see why the center tube not reaching fully to the end cap is necessarily a problem, as long as the end of the media is securely sealed to the end cap. Sloppy-looking, yes, but not clearly a cause of bypassing. The media isn't going to blow through that narrow gap, any more than it blows through holes in the middle of the center tube. Cartridge filters function with effectively no center tube---and no end cap either, on some designs.

^^^^^^^^^ THIS!

Following.

I have a Baldwin for my Kawasaki engine on my mower that I noticed the same thing. I think mine has a larger gap on the center tube than the picture on this thread. I am not sure it hurts anything though. I figure a cut open after service will be good enough for me. I have always had good trust in quality with Baldwin.

Originally Posted By: cmlind
Following.

I have a Baldwin for my Kawasaki engine on my mower that I noticed the same thing. I think mine has a larger gap on the center tube than the picture on this thread. I am not sure it hurts anything though. I figure a cut open after service will be good enough for me. I have always had good trust in quality with Baldwin.

I think I said about the same thing. Still, it isn't like it is supposed to be even if under use it survives. The center tube should be fastened in this design or it's weaker. The media is pretty soft and thick on this filter, not supposed to be a structural element. The second issue is the shearing of the metal, not OK with me. It must be a common issue in the smaller size if others see it. Mine is also more gap than shows in picture. I bought another one at the time, any gap is filled in with glue. Just bad QC.

There is another thread about a Hastings filter having a hole in the media. Looking at the websites, both Hastings and Baldwin filters are owned by Clarcor. Then, in Feb. 2017, Clarcor was bought the Parker Hannifin Company.

http://www.baldwinfilter.com/resourceslinksofinterest.html

http://www.hastingsfilter.com/abouthastingsclarcor.html

http://www.purolator-efp.com/About-Us/A-Parker-Hannifin-Company

https://www.parker.com/portal/site/PARKER/menuitem.4a7ba99b3c73ae7cc39acea5427ad1ca/?vgnextoid=d92e6a03af66a510VgnVCM100000e6651dacRCRD&vgnextchannel=c36e4e8717f5a510VgnVCM100000e6651dacRCRD&vgnextfmt=EN&vgnextcat=Clarcor%2BProduct%2BBrands&relatorId=e47188a979bcf510VgnVCM100000e6651dac____&vgnextrefresh=1

The Purolator owned by Clarcor supplies commercial industries. Any relation to the Purolator for automotives? The logo on the commercial Purolator reminds me of the old automotive Purolator logo. Was the commercial side sold to Clarcor?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back