3 Reasons to NOT do Extended OCIs

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Civic is not direct injected, and a few years ago when I saw 7% fuel in one of my reports I think that was caused by a leaky fuel injector, because the engine took a long time to start when it had been sitting for a day or more. This time around I don't have that problem with hard starting, even when the car sat for 10 days while I was in Florida. But just to be safe, I'm doing the same thing that cured it the last time, I'm running a few tanks of different PEA based cleaners through it.

Thanks for the link, good information. I don't rebuild enough to remember what all the tell tale signs look like.

Originally Posted By: JLTD
Dude, you've been here since '06 and are still doing 3k changes?
Unless you drive ALL city miles...
crazy2.gif
21.gif

He probably keeps his cars longer than 3 years and likes to keep them supplied with clean oil.

Originally Posted By: 4WD
Before that it was caused by Holley and Carter (Edelbrock) …

And now DI.
27.gif

Originally Posted By: FermeLaPorte
I am not an idiot and I plan to keep my cars for a long time. I do it every 5k with synthetic.

I do the same. It's my car and I don't mind the money and the 30 minutes it takes to do it.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
I do 3/3K on all my cars like clockwork.

What if you only put on 1000 miles in 3 months would you still change it?

Originally Posted By: Patman
I do 3/3K on all my cars like clockwork.

Absolutely in the Z. 3/3K is stated in the Z32 fsm.

Originally Posted By: madeej11
Agree with 2015_PSD. You guys that are changing your oil at 5,000mi. with synthetic are wasting money and good oil. In fact it's probably worse than what's been frowned upon for years here and that is changing at 3,000mi. with dino.So go ahead and pollute, don't you people have kids that will have to suffer the consequences of the filth we leave behind. Every little bit counts and if your kids follow your wasteful ways then you're just perpetuating the problem. Besides it's already been established that you are just advancing the wear on your engines. It's a win win situation by abstaining. Let's wake up and get the most from your oil. Don't be so selfish by satisfying your petty OCD.

Ridiculous.

Originally Posted By: madeej11
hatt, hysteria, sorry but you must have too many overly dramatic people in your life.As far as the pollution angle goes not everyone is that environmentally conscientious out there plus you've never spilled any oil, new or used? Only takes a little bit to pollute a lot of water. Not only that but just the refining process alone pollutes. So double the amount of toxins in the air from refining just to satisfy these blockheads. Am I getting dramatic enough for you now ?

You should ride a bike or walk then.

My normal OCI has been 10K for the last 40 years in all types of engines, conditions, and seasons.

Originally Posted By: Patman

Absolutely in the Z. 3/3K is stated in the Z32 fsm.

Excellent!
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: dnewton3
Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Tell you what:

I'll send anyone here my 5,000 mile Mobil 2 if you promise to run it another 5,000.

1) I presume you mean Mobil 1?
2) assuming there's nothing known wrong with the engine or oil ... I'll take you up on that.
3) everything needs to be as "clean" as possible for the transfer; clean collections, shipping containers, etc ...

Send me the lube; we'll do a UOA to confirm it's still OK for use, and I'll put it in one of my cars for another 5k miles, or more.

You pay for shipping and the UOAs; I'll take the "risk".

PM me if you are serious.

Another option available is .......
send 4 qts over to Malaysia .... and I promise you at least one or more blotter spot test at 5k miles and above.
PM me for postal address if need be.

https://youtu.be/8lUA1YgoF1U

He states his opinion, once you get to high mileage, you should change more often, because wear increases.

Doing long oci, your vehicle also sees less safety inspections,

Yes, uoa will say alot, if you don't run a quality filter, you'll have [censored] floating in the engine, I don't agree, that you have less wear with shorter oil changes. If you change get your own oil, oil is cheap, at Walmart.

Long oci's. Great if your junking the car before 100k, engines won't last 350k and up running oil out 10k plus miles.

Originally Posted By: Bullwinkle007
He states his opinion, once you get to high mileage, you should change more often, because wear increases.

He states more than once " ... this is my opinion ..." and clearly states "I don't have any hard and cold scientific facts."
I do appreciate his honesty. But I have no reason to give his position any credence.

I do have facts and data; a LOT of it. My "opinions" are based on a lot of research into wear rates and OCI duration. My position is backed up with tons of data and posted for all to see.

I am being specific; a "wear increase" is a change in the rate of wear. I don't see any truth to that as a sole cause. It is true that any equipment used will have more accumulated wear with more exposure to use. But the "increases" implied are not proven out in real data. Generally, well cared for equipment will have a very consistent wear pattern, regardless of mileage.

My 2005 Grand Marquis has 245k miles on it; steady diet of dino lubes and "normal" to "extended" OCIs.
My 2007 Grand Marquis has 106k miles on it; steady diet of dino lubes and "normal" to "extended" OCIs.
Both exhibit the same wear rates; all "normal" wear, despite the large disparity of accumulated miles.
Even when I experiment with some syn lubes, the wear rates don't appreciably change; syns were not "controlling" wear more than dino.

Also, with over 12,000 UOAs in my database, I do not see any proof of causation with higher mile vehicles in regard to wear rates.
I do see correlation of some having higher wear and higher miles, but just as many that don't.
It is much more believable to think that wear rates are attributed to level of care and not accumulation of miles.
If you look at the several examples in my UOA study, the wear rates are shown to DROP slightly as the OCIs increase, all the way out to 15k miles.

It may be true that older equipment may "wear more" because it gets older and owners have less interest in maintaining it, or it gets sold two or three times and now the "current" owner neglects it due to a lack of resources and/or interest.

My point is that a vehicle with 250k miles on it can either be well cared for it's entire life, or get passed down several times and be submitted to near-abuse with each successive change of hands.

Wear is much-more-so a function of maintenance plan choices, not miles driven.

DATA and FACTS do not support the claim that shorter OCIs reduce wear. Nor do they show that older vehicles wear faster, if given the same commitment to care throughout their life-cycle.

The OPs first post can be boiled down to this:
1) emotion
2) emotion
3) emotion
Nothing wrong with making emotional decisions, as long as one realizes the inherent behaviors therein.

I prefer to OCI based on facts and proven, repeatable data.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Bullwinkle007
https://youtu.be/8lUA1YgoF1U

Doing long oci, your vehicle also sees less safety inspections,

Yes, uoa will say alot, if you don't run a quality filter, you'll have [censored] floating in the engine, I don't agree, that you have less wear with shorter oil changes. If you change get your own oil, oil is cheap, at Walmart.

Long oci's. Great if your junking the car before 100k, engines won't last 350k and up running oil out 10k plus miles.

Wrong again. I ran a 1991 Ford V6 Ranger(10K OCIs) to 354K and was runnin great when sold. A friend ran his Silverado to 350K(15K OCI) when sold. Oil used was M1. Son you are so wrong on so many counts.

Originally Posted By: dnewton3
I prefer to OCI based on facts and proven, repeatable data.

I agree, which I why I took part in the Pennzoil UOA program and followed up with my other vehicles. I wanted to be sure my routine was good based on data for my usage pattern. When extending OCI's that is the only way to go. Get data from the vehicle in question and extend or shorten the OCI based on that. Because X amount of miles from #1 oil works for Joe Bitoger in the heartland doesn't mean it is going to work for John Doe in the concrete jungle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back