Help pick new ride

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I have decided to trade in my 2012 Nissan Pathfinder and my 2013 Mustang GT for a real nice long distance highway car. My reasons for doing this is I live in Western Massachusetts and every two weeks I have to drive to Boston to get Chemotherapy for my cancer treatment. It takes about three hours to get there and I want to be comfortable there and back. My car needs are as follows.

All wheel drive "Needed in western MA"
Something that moves! Esp passing cars
Safe I have seen way to many bad crashes on the MA pke
4 door with room
Good size trunk
Heated seats
Navigation
Gen good comfort

Looking at new/Used
Ford Taurus SHO
Lincoln MKZ 3.0 twin turbo AWD
Used BMW 5 series AWD
Audi ?? Don't know much bout them

Looking for ideas and thoughts?

I still love the look and stats on the Ford Fusion sport. I wish it was a little bit faster (hoping for a 10 speed someday) but for its price it could be a great option for you. 325hp, 380tq, trick adaptive suspension. I've seen "base" versions for 26-28k. The others you listed would be terrific as well, but a bit more expensive.

You should go and test-drive all of the cars you mentioned. Seat comfort and ergonomics are going to be big for that kind of use.

Maintenance costs are going to be higher with anything Euro vs. American or Japanese.

If I were going to choose a luxury brand, I think I'd go with Lexus. Extremely high reliability.

The Euro brands drive great but reliability is just not good (overly complex), and maintenance costs are sky-high. Of course, some folks aren't concerned about maintenance costs.

If you are looking at Taurus, I would add Fusion Sport to your list as well.

Also add Subaru Legacy with the larger 3.6R engine to your potential list.

What is your budget?

I really liked the looks of the new Continental and you can get it with one of the bigger Ecoboosts (2.7l??) and AWD, pitched it to my wife as a potential future purchase...she likes big sedans.
Was also going to mention the Legacy with the V6, but that might not have enough oomph for you.
I'm not sure what the car looks like now, but my wife test drove an S80 some time ago and really liked it. Performance then was not overwhelming, but decent. Excellent safety ratings at the time, she didn't end up buying it because she's cheap and didn't like that CR only gave it an average reliability rating (same as the downgraded the Avalon she bought to after finding that the redesigned model had some issues...we both bought new Toyota models that year, mine had issues and hers didn't).

OOPS, looked it up and the S80 has been replaced by the S90...about which I know nothing.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
If you are looking at Taurus, I would add Fusion Sport to your list as well.

Also add Subaru Legacy with the larger 3.6R engine to your potential list.

What is your budget?

Budget is prob no more then $45,000 since I have two trades that I don't owe anything on it works out good.

Originally Posted By: Camprunner
Budget is prob no more then $45,000

Check out Volvo S60 as well - they have some of the most comfortable seats in the business.

wish there was a rating on car seats comfort, scale of 1 - 10 or whatever. some makes really scrimp on size (length) of the bottom cushion.
we have an older infiniti , seats come up under your knee, comfortable

So I have decided to trade in my 2012 Nissan Pathfinder and my 2013 Mustang GT for a real nice long distance highway car. My reasons for doing this is I live in Western Massachusetts and every two weeks I have to drive to Boston to get Chemotherapy for my cancer treatment. It takes about three hours to get there and I want to be comfortable there and back. My car needs are as follows.

All wheel drive "Needed in western MA"
Something that moves! Esp passing cars
Safe I have seen way to many bad crashes on the MA pke
4 door with room
Good size trunk
Heated seats
Navigation
Gen good comfort

Looking at new/Used
Ford Taurus SHO

I can comment on the SHO. Had mine since 2009 and just rolled 123,456 miles on it yesterday
smile.gif
It fits the bill on all you ask and has been a great highway cruiser. I've got the Adaptive Cruise and it's a Godsend on highway trips. Fast and gets 26 MPG highway. AWD works well in the rain and snow and I've been very pleased with it. It's the longest I've kept a car.

Added bonus is if you pick the color carefully people will think you are a cop and move out of the way.
smile.gif

Last edited:
All good choices. The AWD is a little harder to find in the Lexus, but Lexus is a great way to go. The Audis will all have Quattro AWD in their larger sedans. An Audi S6 would hit all your requirements and be a blast to drive with the 4.0 Twin Turbo - but I'd have to give the nod to the Ford Taurus SHO. Big, safe, comfy, AWD and plenty of go. You don't want reliability problems - especially while going to get treatment! I'd stay far away from VW...not real strong on reliability and none of the luxury (but most all the same maintenance expense) of an Audi.

I thought "Audi" while reading your description, and went hmmm when I saw Lexus.

Then I saw this post:

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Budget is prob no more then $45,000

Check out Volvo S60 as well - they have some of the most comfortable seats in the business.

...and think that's a good idea as would be the XC60 especially for cargo room.

100% go drive them all (might be able to do most of them at a Carmax) and see what fits best for you...and best of luck beating that nasty C.

Another vote for the Taurus/Lincoln MKS. Looked at the the SHO, but the MKS had everything plus a bumper to bumper 6 yr/100k warranty for a used one. My 2014 has the 3.5l ecoboost and 355hp. Power, huge trunk, heated cooled leather, nav, premium radio, two sunroofs, AWD, 20" wheels, remote start, heated steering and the lane changing/blind spot goodies. All the features of a similar sized A6 or Volvo s80 but will be under $30,000; usually way under.

Quick thought... Do you find your mustang uncomfortable? I recently sold mine (mistake) but it was the best highway car I've ever owned. Mine had the 4.6 3v, but would get high 20s mpg highway. I bet your 5.0 may even do better than that. Mine was also very comfortable. It had the 07-2010 GT500 seats. You could also get a cheap AWD car and mostly commute with the mustang? I'm sure it would help put a smile on your face dealing with some annoying trips.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Buy the newest/lowest mile A8 you can swing.

One with the W12 engine in it.
smile.gif

Met a guy the other week that had one and loves it. Had to pay $800 for a new starter recently. They are available on www.autotrader.com.

Back to reality I'd probably choose the SHO(used) for the OP. For me personally, a certified Lexus AWD GS.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back