Different Amounts of Oil in Delvac 1 ESP 5W-40 jug

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone,

Yesterday, we bought 5 one gallon containers of Delvac 1 ESP 5W-40 at our local Rural King. I didn't notice when I pulled them off the shelf and put them in the cart that the amounts were different. I was checking the caps carefully, and those looked good, nice and sealed. It wasn't until I was setting them in the trunk, with the sight level on the side of the bottles facing towards me, that I noticed the varying oil levels. Set them on the table when we got home, sure enough, they are different.
Is this a concern? All the other Mobil TDT 5W-40 bottles and other Mobil 1 5 quart bottles I have bought in the past have been consistent, didn't notice such a big variance before.

Here is a picture of what I am talking about.

Last edited:
Is it more or less two heights? Definitely a malfunction of the assembly line. What I remember in videos is the speed at which these containers get filled, but I'm wondering how the the solenoid turns off the flow. Is it a timer? I doubt it they weigh the containers. It's just too darn fast for that.

Sure that low one isn't leaking? I've had some trouble with M1 EP jugs developing premature leaks, which requires to me to store them upside down until I use them.

They're different for sure. I can't recall if mine were the same way. Of course, I only bought two.

If they're all sealed up and you don't feel cheated by the low ones I'd run them.

Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot
Is it more or less two heights? Definitely a malfunction of the assembly line. What I remember in videos is the speed at which these containers get filled, but I'm wondering how the the solenoid turns off the flow. Is it a timer? I doubt it they weigh the containers. It's just too darn fast for that.

The three are about the same, the other two are a little more.

Yeah, I saw a video where the containers were being filled. Amazing how fast they go.

Our Dad works in the glass plants where they make bottles for the food companies. He said you can't watch the bottles all the time and for very long, you would get sick and dizzy.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
Sure that low one isn't leaking? I've had some trouble with M1 EP jugs developing premature leaks, which requires to me to store them upside down until I use them.

Good point, I just went and checked them. The low ones don't appear to be leaking, they are clean and dry.
I saw some leaking at Walmart before, the ones that were in the very front of the rows of bottles, and they were being squished by the ones behind them. The weight of the others were pushing the front bottle into the metal rack, putting pressure on it. I guess that is why they leaked.
After seeing that, I will usually grab the second and third bottles back when I go to buy the oil.
Or, places like Rural King, Meijer, the bottles sit flat on the shelves, no wire rack to put pressure on the bottles.

Last edited:
This is not a ridged container. Soft EDPM container sides can bow out depending on transport trauma.

Have you poured into a CAL standard vessel to show some are underfilled?

Regardless of above dweebo commentary ( by me) , I understand your initial concern.

I had three gallons shipped to me a few months ago. My wife stuck the box in the garage and it sat on its side with caps down for 3 weeks. Not one drop of D1 leaked …

I work at the auto parts store and leakers are RARE. The exception is Chevron Supreme individual quart containers, they leak very frequently, 9/10 of the time because the cap can get a little loose without breaking the locking ring thing and they don't have a glued seal inside, 1/10 of the time it's actually a burst seam. I can't say I ever remember one of those large M1 jugs leaking though.

No matter what brand, the seams are the weak points - usually a bottom corner. And the way oil is shoved onto the rack, and squished up against the front of it if it's full just to avoid bring one container into the back as overstock, would mean if bottles leaked easily we'd be cleaning up spills every day, and like I said, it's highly unusual. So I suspect they were like that from the factory, rather than leakers.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
This is not a ridged container. Soft EDPM container sides can bow out depending on transport trauma.

Have you poured into a CAL standard vessel to show some are underfilled?

Regardless of above dweebo commentary ( by me) , I understand your initial concern.

I thought about that, I squeezed the sides of the containers that are lower inward and watched the sight window. The level didn't move as much I thought it would, it did go up, but, just a little bit.

No, I did not pour them into a CAL standard container yet, I can though.

I was in Oreilly's a little while ago, and in the middle of the store there was a display of Gumout Regane fuel treatment. The bottle are clear, and the levels were different. So, I guess this kind of thing happens.

Last edited:
Should be under +/- 2% which would be +/- 2.5 oz variation limit on a 128oz (1gal) container.

I think there are federal and state laws on this; Bureau of Weights and measure in commerce. I don't know what the law tolerates.

Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot

The most likely measure is by weight. Makes how quickly the jug/bottle fills irrelevant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back