First OC filter cut

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone here ever cut open there oil filter on your new cars first oil change? Ever find anything interesting?

Yes, I saw metal from me cutting open the filter
smile.gif

On my caravan didn't need to cut it open because it's a cartridge filter. I did see metal flakes. Did the first OC as 4000km (2400 miles).

I've cut open the factory filter on my new vehicles (at ~1000 miles) and never find anything more than a few small aluminum particles or small pieces of silicone sealant. Nothing to worry about.

Also have seen a few small aluminum particles after the 2nd oil change, but nothing much after that becauae the break-in is pretty much done by 5K miles.

I have cut open the filter on a fresh rebuilt 5.4 harley davidson engine that went into a lightning. It was full of metal and the oil was glittery.

The original oil filter on my Mazda had a big sliver of metal stuck part-way though one of the entrance holes. Nothing exciting was inside that filter.

I bought the Toyota used, so didn't get to see its first filter. The first one I removed myself, when the car already had over 70k and the filter had 17,540 miles, looked good-as-new, and contained nothing visible except oil and a few tiny black (carbon?) particles barely big enough to see without a microscope.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back