Help Moving Pics To SD Card

Status
Not open for further replies.
I NEED HELP!
21.gif
confused2.gif
frown.gif

I own an LG Transpyre smart phone. I have the Google Photo App with all of my pictures on it that I have taken since I downloaded the app 2 years ago. My problem is, I need to free up space on my phone but I don't know how to move the pics to my SD card! I have read about it, but I don't understand it. I know, some of you might think I'm sort of stupid/dumb, but I call it not being modern day tech savvy. What's ironic is, I can perform general repair on computers/laptops, but I can't do this simple task. Can anyone out there help me? Thanks!

Isn't google photos on the cloud ?

If you need to free up space, go to Settings, Apps, and then Apps on SD card, and it will give you a bunch of apps that can be run off the SD card (e.g. facebook, gasbuddy, Doorslammers 2, Line, Nautilus technical Reference)...etc...move all that stuff to the SD card.

I set my camera to save to the SD card.

Some stuff ends up in "device DCIM", which I then manually transfer to the SD card.

"My files" app has a "Storage Usage" button, that lets you clear temps and stuff.

I hope that this helps, but not sure about your initial question...Google photos (cloud ??) to SD card, versus clearing space.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Isn't google photos on the cloud ?

If you need to free up space, go to Settings, Apps, and then Apps on SD card, and it will give you a bunch of apps that can be run off the SD card (e.g. facebook, gasbuddy, Doorslammers 2, Line, Nautilus technical Reference)...etc...move all that stuff to the SD card.

I set my camera to save to the SD card.

Some stuff ends up in "device DCIM", which I then manually transfer to the SD card.

"My files" app has a "Storage Usage" button, that lets you clear temps and stuff.

I hope that this helps, but not sure about your initial question...Google photos (cloud ??) to SD card, versus clearing space.

Shannow, I have the Google app downloaded from the PLAYSTORE on my phone. I'm pretty sure that this is the app;

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.apps.photos&hl=en

Well you should be able to hook your phone to a computer/lap top and do it right on that or remove the sd card from your phone install into your computer/lap top, then hook your phone to the computer/lap top also and do it that way, your phone needs to be on to retrieve the data to transfer it, I use both methods all the time.
TOTO.

Normally it will upload to the cloud to Google Photos and also keep a copy on the cell phone.

There are three ways to delete the files from internal memory if the photos are backed up on the cloud-- individually go through every photo and delete from the device, open the Settings/Apps/Storage/Clear Data and delete all data for the app or get a micro USB cable, connect the phone to a computer and in a developer mode, access the folder they are kept in and delete them. You may also be able to use the File Manager app to access the internal memory and delete them from there, too.

If you want to move them, the best way is to do the micro USB connection with a computer.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
I hate Android OS. Its a mess for file management if your used to PC.
Not really. Just install a good file management app (for example: X-plore), and you can easily move/copy/delete files, just like you do on a PC.

I have a 32 GB (?) Micro SD card that has 99.889% space that hasn't been used. That card has been in my phone since I bought it 2.5-3 years ago. If I can't move my pics to that card, I just as soon throw it away.

I think there's two basic ways to do this. One would be to plug your phone into your computer, then enable the file transfer on your phone. You may need to install drivers on your computer for access. At that point, you need to find where your photos are located on your phone's internal storage, then cut and paste them into the SD card on your phone.

Another way, like QP mentions, download a file management app, and do the similar process, find the files, select them, cut, then paste to the SD card.

Originally Posted By: EdwardC
I think there's two basic ways to do this. One would be to plug your phone into your computer, then enable the file transfer on your phone. You may need to install drivers on your computer for access. At that point, you need to find where your photos are located on your phone's internal storage, then cut and paste them into the SD card on your phone.

Another way, like QP mentions, download a file management app, and do the similar process, find the files, select them, cut, then paste to the SD card.

The only thing I don't know about is, if all his photos are synced through Google Photos, will the app detect that the pictures are no longer on his phone and try to pull them from the cloud again? If it does that, pretty soon his phone storage will be full again.

He may have to disable the "sync" function in Google Photos or point it to a different location (on SD card).

I'm not positive, but I think that if he removes them from the phone (whether he moves or deletes the pictures), the Google photos app will only pull the photos as needed. Google's goal is for you to keep everything in the cloud and nothing local, so the app becomes just an interface to look at the pictures online. Obviously, no good when you're without an internet connection.

I just checked my Google Photos app, there is a "Free up device storage" option that will delete the pictures from the device. The pop-up message states that the items are safely backed up to my Google account and that I'll still be able to view them at any time.

Long term, I think it would be ideal for the OP to move the default photo storage location to the SD card. The photos would still be backed up to the cloud in case the SD card is corrupted.

Originally Posted By: EdwardC
I'm not positive, but I think that if he removes them from the phone (whether he moves or deletes the pictures), the Google photos app will only pull the photos as needed. Google's goal is for you to keep everything in the cloud and nothing local, so the app becomes just an interface to look at the pictures online. Obviously, no good when you're without an internet connection.

I just checked my Google Photos app, there is a "Free up device storage" option that will delete the pictures from the device. The pop-up message states that the items are safely backed up to my Google account and that I'll still be able to view them at any time.

Long term, I think it would be ideal for the OP to move the default photo storage location to the SD card. The photos would still be backed up to the cloud in case the SD card is corrupted.

^^^THIS!^^^
I was looking through my phone this AM while at the Drs office and I came across something similar to what you stated. I don't understand it, but you're right on the money as to what I read on my phone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back