3 Reasons to NOT do Extended OCIs

Status
Not open for further replies.
With all the recent advancements in engine design and synthetic engine oil technology, I was trying to figure out top reasons why I don't want to go with an extended OCI

1. I actually like the satisfaction I get from changing My own oil! Why extend when this limits my therapy
2. Changing my oil, gives me a reason to tinker and get away from it all.
3. Lastly, I guess the piece of mind knowing that I'm giving her fresh blood.

But seriously...I wanted to keep it light on the forum...great wealth of knowledge here in BITOG.

Chime in with your reason.

6. Keeping the local auto shops in high grade furnace heating (DI fuel diluted) oil.
wink.gif

7. Because I only buy oil on clearance, so why not? My Jeeps last oil change was a little under 3,000 miles. I dumped out $1 per quart conventional and put in $2 per quart synthetic and left the filter on.

8. Same as 7. I buy cheap oil and filters and usually change it every 3-5,000 miles oil filters will get stretched for two oil changes.

Driving pattern - case in point:

Son put 4K miles on 5w20 in 3.6L (2013) Charger ~ 9 months
Checked oil … black as coal but not the major concern … Oil “corn dog” on the stick … sludge starting to form inside filler spout. Took to dealer and ran diagnostics … nothing …

It is driven 80% short trip and don’t know any other reasons

Run a business with 60+ pieces of equipment that have engines, and then get back to me on how it's better to change oil frequently.
wink.gif

Doing extended oil changes (with UOA) saves my business about 2,300 gallons of oil every year, and I haven't done any calculations on filters, but I am certain it's a lot of them.

Originally Posted By: FermeLaPorte
I am not an idiot and I plan to keep my cars for a long time. I do it every 5k with synthetic.
And you are gaining nothing by doing so. It has been proven time and time agai that longer OCIs produce less wear metals per mile than shirt ones. Your engine will last just as long with 10K OCIs versus 5K ones.

Originally Posted By: FermeLaPorte
I am not an idiot and I plan to keep my cars for a long time. I do it every 5k with synthetic.

Same here 5K OCi's with SYN oil/SYN filter

Dave

9. For no other reason than I like clean oil in my engine.

I don't care what the mileage or time is -- if it's dirty -- I dump it.

Filter will go several OCIs though because I buy the built to the hilt Wix XP.

another reason which I think is a good one is that it gives you a chance to glance around at other things while you changing the oil, checking other fluids and depending how you jack it up, checking wheel bearings and suspension etc.

the other night i was helping my brother change the oil on his truck real quick, just rolled it in the garage and shut the door quick, we jacked it up and i just slide my rhino ramps under it so we could change the oil and then back it off them when we were done.

anyways when i lifted the right side with the rack i grabbed the tire and found a lot of movement in the wheel bearing. it wasn't making any noise just a lot of play, so needless to say it was caught in the nick of time, glad we jacked it up vs. driving it up the ramps instead.

also gives a chance to check the exhaust and just other odds and ends, air the tires etc.

sometimes vehicles don't get looked at enough letting certain things go and be a bigger problem later

I like your 3 reasaons. Makes sense to me.

And running Mobil 1 Extended Performance 0w20 would be my choice as well in your Nissan. The 2.7 HTHS is stout as you can get for a 20 grade operating viscosity.

My main reasons: Because I know my engines can't handle and extended OCI, and ultimately I will ruin one of more of them. Oil is cheap, engines aren't.

Last edited:
Agree with 2015_PSD. You guys that are changing your oil at 5,000mi. with synthetic are wasting money and good oil. In fact it's probably worse than what's been frowned upon for years here and that is changing at 3,000mi. with dino.So go ahead and pollute, don't you people have kids that will have to suffer the consequences of the filth we leave behind. Every little bit counts and if your kids follow your wasteful ways then you're just perpetuating the problem. Besides it's already been established that you are just advancing the wear on your engines. It's a win win situation by abstaining. Let's wake up and get the most from your oil. Don't be so selfish by satisfying your petty OCD.

I go 5k with regular oil, but on a few occasions I have pushed up to about 7K. 5K is long enough for me and I have no desire to go with synthetic and push the OCI out. Retired now and only put on about 5k per year. Very soon we will be a 1 vehicle family, the Forester will become our daughters vehicle when she goes to college at North Dakota state this fall, we are selling the Tuscon and the Sonata will our only vehicle. Will probably just change oil once a year in it. Oil change on 1 vehicle once per year will be my new norm very soon.

Originally Posted By: madeej11
Agree with 2015_PSD. You guys that are changing your oil at 5,000mi. with synthetic are wasting money and good oil. In fact it's probably worse than what's been frowned upon for years here and that is changing at 3,000mi. with dino.So go ahead and pollute, don't you people have kids that will have to suffer the consequences of the filth we leave behind. Every little bit counts and if your kids follow your wasteful ways then you're just perpetuating the problem. Besides it's already been established that you are just advancing the wear on your engines. It's a win win situation by abstaining. Let's wake up and get the most from your oil. Don't be so selfish by satisfying your petty OCD.
Do you dump your used oil in the lake? I'm not seeing this pollution angle. Dumping good oil is a waste of time and money but let's keep the hysteria down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back