Ford Focus 2007 Duratec HE 2.0 Australia

Status
Not open for further replies.

TWM

Hello,I have this bottle of unopened engine oil .....but cannot find whether it meets ford specifications WSS-M2C913-B

Can anyone tell me definitely?

Here’s the bottle.......Thankyou.

Originally Posted By: FermeLaPorte
That's a good oil. I wouldn't hesitate to use it.

Cheers fellas.....

But does it meet ford specs WWS-M2C913-B.......

And if it does ......is there a link for a fact sheet that verifies this.

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
They do not list the auto manufacturers' spec numbers on the back of the jug in Oz?

Back Of Jug......

Hi Mate,

I think the Ford 913 spec is based on the Euro ACEA A5/B5 spec. Certainly the Ford M2C913-D oil is based on A5/B5, and the 913-D is the upgraded version of 913-C which is the upgrade from the older 913-B.

Both A3/B4 and A5/B5 are high quality Euro oil, both are high SAPS. The difference is that A3 is high HTHS (more protection, less fuel economy) while the A5 is low HTHS (more fuel economy, less "protection").

I would have no problems using an A3 oil in an A5 spec'd car. But maybe not the otherway around.

I would use the Edge 5W30 A3/B4 myself, I don't think you can even get 913-B oils anymore (only D).

Originally Posted By: SR5
Hi Mate,

I think the Ford 913 spec is based on the Euro ACEA A5/B5 spec. Certainly the Ford M2C913-D oil is based on A5/B5, and the 913-D is the upgraded version of 913-C which is the upgrade from the older 913-B.

Both A3/B4 and A5/B5 are high quality Euro oil, both are high SAPS. The difference is that A3 is high HTHS (more protection, less fuel economy) while the A5 is low HTHS (more fuel economy, less "protection").

I would have no problems using an A3 oil in an A5 spec'd car. But maybe not the otherway around.

I would use the Edge 5W30 A3/B4 myself, I don't think you can even get 913-B oils anymore (only D).

Cheers for that mate......
So would it be fair to say that this formula meets AND exceeds fords 913-B specs?....
Both Supercheap Auto And Autobarn ......lI’ve just found out recommend this as an alternative to magnatec.....but unlike the magnatec which tells me it meets fords specs 913a,b,c and d........this stuff doesn’t say anything regarding fords specs.

Last edited:
Also.....just want to clear up another question I have.........and that is........
If an oil meets ford specs WWS-M2C913-D as stated on the bottle and/or online specs......should I assume the oil is backwards compatible and fully appropriate.....and is the correct type for 913-a,b and c......in other words an improved formula if ya like?

Ie...the nulon 5w-30 only states 913-d......does that mean it meets and exceeds a,b and c?

Yes Castrol Australia do say you can use that oil in your car (Edge 5W30 A3/B4). They also say you can use the castor magnetic 5W30 A5 (their new stuff), while Valvoline australia say to use Synpower 5W30 FE (913-D).

TWM: So would it be fair to say that this formula meets AND exceeds fords 913-B specs?....

SR5: The Edge 5W30 is a great oil, and I feel confident that it will do the job fine, and so do Castrol Australia. But No, it does not meet or exceed 913-B as this spec has a fuel economy requirement that the thicker A3 oil could probably not meet. But such a small drop in fuel economy would never be observable in normal day to day driving, just lab tests.

From here we can see that 913-B is a fairly old spec anyway that refers to A1/B1- 1998. The modern Euro ACEA specs don't even list A1/B1 anymore, it's been superseded by A5/B5.
Quote:
Ford WSS-M2C913-B
The Ford M2C913-B specification is released in Europe for initial fill engine oils used for lubrication of spark ignition engines using gasoline and for compression ignition engines using diesel fuels. The specification is also used to define engine oils for servicing Ford engines where applicable. The oil shall meet all the requirements of the ILSAC GF-2 and GF-3 specification, the ACEA A1-98 and B1-98 specification and additional Ford requirements.

How many KM's on the car ? To me, once a car gets older, it never hurts to run a slightly thicker oil.

If you want a very good oil, you have one (Edge 5W30 A3/B4).
If you want 913-B exactly, then you probably need to get the Magnatec A5 or the Synpower FE, as the modern version of that original oil.

Originally Posted By: TWM
Also.....just want to clear up another question I have.........and that is........
If an oil meets ford specs WWS-M2C913-D as stated on the bottle and/or online specs......should I assume the oil is backwards compatible and fully appropriate.....and is the correct type for 913-a,b and c......in other words an improved formula if ya like?

Ie...the nulon 5w-30 only states 913-d......does that mean it meets and exceeds a,b and c?

Yes, 913-D replaces 913-A,B,C and the 913-D is the correct oil to use now days. That Nulon will do the job nicely, notice it's ACEA A5/B5 as that is the modern Euro spec the 913-D is based on. Also notice, it's API SL (not the modern SN) as most 913-D oils contain extra ZDDP (zinc) to protect the metal from wear, and the elevated levels cause them to become the older SL not the newer (and lower ZDDP) SN.

Now there is another full synthetic 5W30 oil that is also rated SL due to elevated ZDDP (zinc) levels, what is its again?.........Oh that's right !! It's Castrol Edge 5W30 A3/B4, it's also SL too.

SR5 said:
Yes Castrol Australia do say you can use that oil in your car (Edge 5W30 A3/B4). They also say you can use the castor magnetic 5W30 A5 (their new stuff), while Valvoline australia say to use Synpower 5W30 FE (913-D).

SR5......
If it’s no trouble can you link me where Castrol approve of the product please......after that I’ve got no further questions....you been of great help...

Edit....mate believe it or not the cars just hit 60,000km...pretty much been driven short distances (stop/start traffic).......and 2 or 3 1000km round trip on holidays....trouble is this will only be it’s 2nd oil change since new....(im the only owner)..

Last edited:
I have the same motor and I don't used the recommended spec or viscosity.

This is my testing:
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4191230/Fuchs_GT1_0W20XTL-16mth/7,925k

Using currently using M1 EP 0W20 with an M1 filter.

60k kms and 1 oil change so far? I wouldn't be too worried concerned with the wrong spec oil. Just get the old stuff out ASAP. Maybe change the PCV valve as well

Hope this helps

Castrol Netlube link

Quote:
Cars, Wagons, Utilities & Car-type 4-Wheel Drives
FORD
Focus LS Series, 2.0 Litre Duratec-HE Eng. (2005-2007)

Crankcase
Service Refill Capacity: 4.6* Litres.
* - including oil filter
CASTROL EDGE 5W-30 A3/B4
Castrol EDGE 5W-30 A3/B4 is a fully synthetic, SAE 5W-30, engine oil. It gives you the confidence to demand maximum engine performance from today's highly tuned four cylinder and latest technology engines, operating with tighter tolerances, requiring lower viscosity and stronger oils for variable service intervals. Castrol EDGE 5W-30 A3/B4 is proven in tests to deliver outstanding oil strength.

or

CASTROL MAGNATEC STOP-START 5W-30 A5
Today even a normal driver can stop and start as many as 18,000 times a year. And all that idling in traffic or waiting at junctions causes microscopic wear in your engine. In the latest industry test, New Castrol MAGNATEC STOP-START 5W-30 A5 gives significantly less wear in STOP-START operation (as tested in the industry OM646LA test). Castrol MAGNATEC STOP-START 5W-30 A5 is a full synthetic engine oil suitable for use in automotive gasoline and diesel engines where the manufacturer recommends an ACEA A5/B5, API SN/CF, ILSAC GF-4 or earlier specification 5W-30 lubricant.

Originally Posted By: SR5
Castrol Netlube link

Quote:
Cars, Wagons, Utilities & Car-type 4-Wheel Drives
FORD
Focus LS Series, 2.0 Litre Duratec-HE Eng. (2005-2007)

Crankcase
Service Refill Capacity: 4.6* Litres.
* - including oil filter
CASTROL EDGE 5W-30 A3/B4
Castrol EDGE 5W-30 A3/B4 is a fully synthetic, SAE 5W-30, engine oil. It gives you the confidence to demand maximum engine performance from today's highly tuned four cylinder and latest technology engines, operating with tighter tolerances, requiring lower viscosity and stronger oils for variable service intervals. Castrol EDGE 5W-30 A3/B4 is proven in tests to deliver outstanding oil strength.

or

CASTROL MAGNATEC STOP-START 5W-30 A5
Today even a normal driver can stop and start as many as 18,000 times a year. And all that idling in traffic or waiting at junctions causes microscopic wear in your engine. In the latest industry test, New Castrol MAGNATEC STOP-START 5W-30 A5 gives significantly less wear in STOP-START operation (as tested in the industry OM646LA test). Castrol MAGNATEC STOP-START 5W-30 A5 is a full synthetic engine oil suitable for use in automotive gasoline and diesel engines where the manufacturer recommends an ACEA A5/B5, API SN/CF, ILSAC GF-4 or earlier specification 5W-30 lubricant.

Brilliant mate .....massive help!....thanks for your time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back