Spring and Strut assembly replaced but no change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
A question,

Last summer, I replaced all springs and struts of 2006 Sentra with 105,000 miles on it. Every time the car would go for some work, the mechanic would tell me the struts need replacement. When I went to the dealership to perform Takata recall, they flagged it and wanted to do it right then and there. I refused.

So got Gabriel Guardian ReadyMount Spring & Strut Assembly and installed by myself at home. Got it checked by the mechanic and all was good. But on day-to-day basis, I do not see any change in performance. I feel every tiny bump on the road, just like the older ones. On the other hand, for comparison purpose, Subaru feels a lot smoother on the bumps. I was not expecting Subaru like performance but definitely better than the old ones.

I haven't been to the mechanic since then but my inspection is due and planning to ask him to check this out. But before I go to him, I would like to know what could be the thing happening here?

I am not as well versed in car-related stuff as most of you folks here. I am a newbie in this DIY stuff and do most of the things by watching several YouTube videos, sometimes asking my neighbor for the input. So pardon me if this question sounds silly.

Thanks in advance.

It sounds like two different things happened. The original struts were worn out or leaking and not absorbing the bumps and the new ones have springs that are quite possibly too stiff.
This is common with aftermarket springs. IMO you have a few options for one you would need to have the original springs the others are to keep these struts and get OE springs or get new OE struts and springs and assemble your own.

You could try another brand but chances are the springs are made by the same company and wont be much of an improvement if any or live with it.

49.gif

Do you still have the same tires as last year, and if so, how old are they? I ask because if they are a constant in this equation, then they could be contributing to your harsh ride. As tires age, the rubber hardens and NVH increases.

Last edited:
@Trav, I don't have the old springs and we do not intend to spend too much money on this vehicle. Just waiting for something to break that will cost $1000+ and we are dumping this car.

@mclasser,
Yes, I still have the same set of tires. Out of which 2 are 3 years old with about 12000 miles on them and another two are 2 years old with about 8000 miles on them. I am hoping they would last another 2-3 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back