Tesla Parts

Status
Not open for further replies.
True? Fake news? Who knows but I don't see the problem with reworking parts that could cause problems down the road before they go into a new car.
Even if they just increased the size of a bushing on a new part for durability that would be considered reworking. Destined to become a bashing thread.

The news is true that MUSK has found out how hard building a vehicle can be. Someone said it best on another forum I read-"By the time the Model 3 is at full production-it will be so 2016" (tech-wise).

Also stated-"Their quality is less than a 1963 Chrysler".

The Chevy Bolt is real and one can buy it NOW.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Or they could be like other manufacturers and just ship known faulty parts and then issue a recall.

You would know that better than anyone, you see it every day.

I think he struggles with realization that making a prototype and a bunch of test samples is one thing, but to make a product market ready and mass production of it is another one.
Whatever it is, we live in times of folks making billions without making profit and without making on their promises. As long as the market gets what it wants, this is what the market deserves. The same as with gov

Originally Posted By: Trav
Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Or they could be like other manufacturers and just ship known faulty parts and then issue a recall.

You would know that better than anyone, you see it every day.

So that new recall on Fusions where the bolt that holds the steering wheel on comes loose and the wheels falls off, my mom has one. I tried to be a good son and order a part and hide it for her but I can't order parts for the recall yet. They are seed stocking us an unknown amount. Great, now I get to deal with my mom freaking out about her steering wheel falling off.

Originally Posted By: Y_K
I think he struggles with realization that making a prototype and a bunch of test samples is one thing, but to make a product market ready and mass production of it is another one.
Whatever it is, we live in times of folks making billions without making profit and without making on their promises. As long as the market gets what it wants, this is what the market deserves. The same as with gov

Well said........

Sure, but the average Model 3 aspirant wouldn't be caught dead in any Chevy.
The Bolt is a real car from a real manufacturer, but never mind that.
A new Bolt or vaporware from a manufacturer yet to find its feet?
I know where I'd put my money.

Originally Posted By: Y_K

No, he doesn't, otherwise he would have hired a COO to handle the day-to-day operations, put out fires, deal with suppliers, and all the other minutiae that CEOs shouldn't have to deal with. Particularly one who splits his time between multiple companies.

Yet, he's a micromanger who often insinuates himself in every part of the process, and believes that pitching a tent in the middle of the factory is anything but a stunt, and will solve problems.

An essential part of being a good manager is hiring qualified people and letting them do their jobs. Puzzling, since that's how he allows SpaceX to run.

He's a successful visionary no doubt, and that's what he does best. Not trying to help fix panel gaps and stuff like that.

With the onslaught of competition coming, it's not going to get any easier for a company that has difficulty executing on the fundamentals.

Even if they could churn these out at a rapid rate, how many people are willing to buy a $42k car? That is not the price tag on something that was supposed to revolutionize EV ownership.

Originally Posted By: Reddy45
Even if they could churn these out at a rapid rate, how many people are willing to buy a $42k car? That is not the price tag on something that was supposed to revolutionize EV ownership.

+1. The Tesla geek boys will take out loans to buy their Tesla and then sales will flop.

Considering the ASP of new vehicles in the U.S. is ~$33k, and that of the F-150, the best selling vehicle, is above 40 grand, there should be plenty of buyers who can afford a $42k car, right in the heart of the compact luxury segment.

More than four-hundred thousand people have put down $1000 to buy one.

I'm no Tesla fanboy, but the facts clearly indicate that there is a market for the Model 3, whether one wishes to believe it or not.

Originally Posted By: Carmudgeon

Considering the ASP of new vehicles in the U.S. is ~$33k, and that of the F-150, the best selling vehicle, is above 40 grand, there should be plenty of buyers who can afford a $42k car, right in the heart of the compact luxury segment.

More than four-hundred thousand people have put down $1000 to buy one.

I'm no Tesla fanboy, but the facts clearly indicate that there is a market for the Model 3, whether one wishes to believe it or not.

You missed the part where I said 'revolutionize'.

People being able to afford a $42K car is not the same as Tesla attempting to make EV ownership as regular as white bread by pricing the Model 3 at that amount.

Quote:
The news is true that MUSK has found out how hard building a vehicle can be.

He seems to know how to make OK rockets.

It's not unprecedented for companies to be able to make OK rockets and lousy cars at the same time. Chrysler comes immediately to mind.

I see one of the Tesla cars, don't know which one, several times a week going down the road. I've never seen parts fall off it. Can't say that about the Honda or VW I owned.

Originally Posted By: Win

It's not unprecedented for companies to be able to make OK rockets and lousy cars at the same time. Chrysler comes immediately to mind.

I see one of the Tesla cars, don't know which one, several times a week going down the road. I've never seen parts fall off it. Can't say that about the Honda or VW I owned.

Chrysler made big guns for the military while the first few generations of the M16/AR-15 were also built by GM. Boeing also built light rail cars for San Francisco and Boston, but those were POSes from the start.

I've drove a Model S and it does feel luxurious but Tesla isn't Toyota. I now Toyota-bash since they aren't what they used to be these days(and they now sold out to Uber) but one thing Toyota does get right is fit and maintaining the same QC standards at most of their plants. Even though their interiors are now atrocious.

GM has improved leaps and bounds lately - there's still some plasticky bits in their nicer cars and cheapness on the low end but it's still a vast improvement from the 1980s-1990s.

Last edited:
You missed the part where I said 'revolutionize'.

People being able to afford a $42K car is not the same as Tesla attempting to make EV ownership as regular as white bread by pricing the Model 3 at that amount.

Can you point out the part where Tesla has ever claimed that a more affordable model would be cheap?

New technology trickles down in the market, not up. And Musk's stated goals have long been to drive the market forward, not own and cater to every bit of it. Given the multi-billion dollar commitments from the big OEMs, I think it's fair to say Tesla has had an effect.

Given its performance, and market positioning, the Model 3's pricing is entirely within reasoning and expectations.

I know I haven't been active here in a LONG time. I drove beaters a lot of years I am a gearhead at heart just middle age, family and career have put a damper on wrenching and drastically changed what I drive.

The aim is for the Model 3 to eventually be down to a $35k base price they are just prioritizing the higher margin cars at first and badly missing production goals.

A year ago I thought Tesla was a joke, then had opportunity to drive one when I went to check out a 2017 Chevy SS M6 I was considering replacing my 2015 SS A6 car. For those not familiar the SS it is an awesome car and updated G8, was essentially a Camaro stretched 2" with a boring looking Malibu like body, standard LS3 415hp/415tq A6 or M6 tranny RWD and 2015-2017 had standard Mag-Ride, instrumented testing had it at 4.7 0-60mph and .97G lateral. After driving a Tesla P85 and feeling 440tq everywhere below 43mph and then plateau at 416hp from there to 73mph I was hooked. 700lbs heavier and 1hp 25tq more and it does 0-60 in 4.2seconds published 3.9 instrumented testing.

I wouldn't buy a new Tesla but I did buy one 3yo used and have been very happy since August which admittedly is a short time. It does not handle as well as the Chevy but I am in Wisconsin and it is flat and the Tesla will still handle a round-a-bout better than a 4700lbs car should.

Power delivery of an electric motor is awesome, peak torque off zero is what you want, electric traction control is great very precise, you get that massive lowend torque without transmission complexity, single speed gear box is cheap simple and reliable.

The Model S and Model X are solid sellers for their price ranges. Yes the Model 3 production is going poorly but if they get their act together it is going to be a big deal.

On financials the gearup to build the Model 3 production was expensive and the supercharger network is "planned" to double last year and this year, huge expense but this allows electric vehicles to roadtrip 400volt 200amp DC is good for as much as 150miles of range in 30minutes so yes it is slower than gas but on a 400mile trip if you were going to stop for one meal it is the same drive time as a regular car you just eat while it is at the "pump". The supercharger network is expansive enough to road trip and are free for most Model S and Model X.
Tesla superchargers in USA

I am no eco-freak the P85 I bought is a family hotrod, the insurance cost ends up putting a big dent in the "fuel" savings too so I wont claim fuel savings as a plus.

I came here hoping to find a UOA of the Dexron VI used in the gear reduction box and found this so put my $0.02 in for better or worse. The fill seems to be quoted as 1.4quarts with an initial 12K change then I have heard suggestions all the way up to 500K before next change, seems excessive and was hoping for data.

Maybe I am the one that needs to do the sample.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back