2014 Nissan Versa I4, HR16DE, M/T 58,400 review

Status
Not open for further replies.
The car is slow but very reliable. It is very barebones. No electric windows, no gps, only the aux port which I fitter with a 5-dollar amazon Bluetooth receiver. You will not be winning races in this.

I do love that it is a tall car. I can fit a lot of things and people inside of it.

Nissan designed this car to be rugged and it is used in Latin America as a taxi and let me tell you the roads there kill F150s all the time, but I have never seen a Versa die down in this big potholes.

I own this car since new. Half of my ownership I took my car to the dealer for oil changes (which I tried to make frequent). Nowadays I just do the engine oil changes, filter change, air filter, and coolant changes myself. I will leave the rest to the dealership mechanics because my luck with local mechanics has been appalling. I do take the Impala and will take this car to mechanics in Mexico for minor repairs, but major ones I will take it to the dealership. At least they do offer 10,000-mile warranties on their work...

Only issue I ever had with the Versa is that once I got into this big aff puddle of water and the throttle body and air duct got dirty with mud. But they replaced the whole assembly and throttle body under warranty because the dealer is a badaff.

I get 40 mpg in the summer, 39 mpg in the winter.

I think this might be the best under 100,000 dollar car in America if you buy it with the manual transmission.
My next vehicle will be bought when this one dies. Probably will buy a future Ford Ranger next if it comes with a Mazda engine and tranny.

My family has had good look with Nissans. The last of the Nissans in our extended lasted from 1990 to 2017 bought used and died because my cousin crashed it.

Originally Posted By: FermeLaPorte
I think this might be the best under 100,000 dollar car in America if you buy it with the manual transmission.
Too many 0's?
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Same here. My Nissan Z has been the best car I've ever owned. Built like a tank too!

Amen. The build quality on these Z32s is incredible.

Well, good luck find a future Ranger with a Mazda engine. Ford and Mazda split several years ago and are totally separate entities as of now.

Originally Posted By: zorobabel
Do you have to remove the intake manifold to change the spark plugs on this one?

Yes. I have the same engine in my 2016 Versa and that is really dumb in my opinion. I have the 4 speed auto and I cant really do anything with that either. Stealership is the only option for a transmission fluid change.

I rented a Versa SV last year from Enterprise. It beat the EPA fuel numbers driven hard. Mine had 2 fuel injectors per cylinder and a CVT automatic.
I think I would seriously look at a Toyota Yaris iA first and have the dealer add the center armrest since it has no center console armrest.

Thanks for answering my question!
Is there no cooling of the ATF through the radiator? How about a fill plug on the tranny?

Originally Posted By: sw99
Do you have to remove the intake manifold to change the spark plugs on this one?

Yes. I have the same engine in my 2016 Versa and that is really dumb in my opinion. I have the 4 speed auto and I cant really do anything with that either. Stealership is the only option for a transmission fluid change.

Is there no cooling of the ATF through the radiator? How about a fill plug on the tranny?

I have a cap that Nissan said is not designed for filling. Apparently they use a low pressure machine to fill from the trans pan. They was $200 for a drain and fill or $400 for a complete low pressure fluid exchange. They said my 4 speed auto is different than the CVT filling procedure. I may just to the entire fluid exchange at 40K and then D&F's every 40-60K after that.

I really like these cars. It's too bad my situation now calls for a wagon. I 100% would have bought one of these to replace the overly cramped Focus.

I still might pick one up for a winter rat or something.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Originally Posted By: FermeLaPorte
Too many 0's?
grin2.gif

I think so.

And I don't think they can be had for below 10k anymore.

Originally Posted By: sw99

I have a cap that Nissan said is not designed for filling. Apparently they use a low pressure machine to fill from the trans pan. They was $200 for a drain and fill or $400 for a complete low pressure fluid exchange. They said my 4 speed auto is different than the CVT filling procedure. I may just to the entire fluid exchange at 40K and then D&F's every 40-60K after that.

Thanks. Sounds like a PITA.

My friend has a newish Focus and it’s had two transmissions so far. She had a Versa rental while her Focus was in the shop and loved it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back