What Do you use Fluid Film On

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a Non-Automotive question.

What do you use Fluid Film on ?

1) Outdoors I spray it on my grill to keep it from rusting.

2) In the Basement I use it on my newish Well Pump and Tools

3) In the Garage I use it on my Floor Jack and Garden Tools

Last edited:
Honestly nothing, but I should. I spray it, amongst other products, as necessary, in key areas that see salt and water on cars.

Originally Posted By: gathermewool
Is this stuff really worth the cost? Looks to be around $10/11.75 oz. can

I did a little test a couple of years ago. I cleaned some bare metal tags and applied FF, another rust prevention product and a home made concoction of chainsaw chain oil and paraffin wax. The tags were suspended under my car for the duration of a winter.

When memoved in the spring neither the F or the home brew showed any sign of rust.

The third product failed badly.

Last edited:
I started looking at it for non auto applications recently and will see what I can spray it on. My kids wrecked a lot of my hand tools (rust) so I might do some coatings.

I did use it on self tapping screw holes beneath my fender flares on my Ram.

I considered it to rust proof my vehicles, but Trav steered me away from it to a much better product. I figure for the time invested in applying the stuff using a better product, more costly though, was the better way to go. FF does get some pretty good reviews and has a good following.

I use it on my snowblower and vehicles. I like the fact it doesn't drip and stays where input it.

On the snowblower's blades it will wash off, but it protects the exterior of the snowblower without any issues.

Outside of my blued firearms. Tools. Knifes. Anything needing corrosion protection. I keep a rag saturated with the bulk non aerosol and just wipe stuff down as needed. Lasts forever. Also works great on bare steel stanchions.

Originally Posted By: expat

I did a little test a couple of years ago. I cleaned some bare metal tags and applied FF, another rust prevention product and a home made concoction of chainsaw chain oil and paraffin wax. The tags were suspended under my car for the duration of a winter.

When memoved in the spring neither the F or the home brew showed any sign of rust.

I think I remember that thread now; I'd forgotten. Very well done!

Ok, I'll give this stuff a try. I spray aerospace 303 on the rubber/plastic parts, including boots, so why not all of the parts that are susceptible to rust?

My lug nuts for my winter wheels are open, and the ends of the studs tend to corrode. I wasn't sure what to put on there that could withstand the centripetal forces - think this would work?

Ok, I'll give this stuff a try. I spray aerospace 303 on the rubber/plastic parts, including boots, so why not all of the parts that are susceptible to rust?

My lug nuts for my winter wheels are open, and the ends of the studs tend to corrode. I wasn't sure what to put on there that could withstand the centripetal forces - think this would work?

FF would work but its going to have a pretty significant reduction of friction on the threads. Many people here in the salt belt use antiseize on their lugs with no problems (though I know others swear it will make the world implode). As I myself use. That is my recommendation for lug nuts.

Originally Posted By: buck91

FF would work but its going to have a pretty significant reduction of friction on the threads. Many people here in the salt belt use antiseize on their lugs with no problems (though I know others swear it will make the world implode). As I myself use. That is my recommendation for lug nuts.

Sorry, this is for open nuts, not closed. The corrosion creeps along the thread, even though only the tip of the stud is exposed. Instead of a smooth removal, the lug nuts were a little hard to get off after a winter on.

Does this stuff creep?

I use fluid film on locks, knives, archery broadheads, snow blower chutes, metal drawer slides and hinges.

I have tried it on firearms and other things that get hot or really require a stout lubricant and I don't like it. Fluid film heats up, thins out and does not have any EP or AW qualities to it in those applications. It is a basic film rust preventer first and a light lubricant second.

Fluid Film is great for rustproofing vehicles. I bought the professional spray kit from Kellesport and it works fantastic. The thing I like about fluid film is no scraping or surface prep. Just spray it over the existing rust and forget it till next year. The maker suggests yearly treatments for cars in road salt areas.

Works great for hood latches, hinges and locks too.

Fluid Film is great for rustproofing vehicles. I bought the professional spray kit from Kellesport and it works fantastic. The thing I like about fluid film is no scraping or surface prep. Just spray it over the existing rust and forget it till next year. The maker suggests yearly treatments for cars in road salt areas.

Works great for hood latches, hinges and locks too.

Excellent product for rust. I use it on brake lines front to back / hinges / firearms / But be careful on any rubber or plastic that is not oil resistance it will swell them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back