w116 300sd Mercedes oil recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's time to buy oil for my 1979 300sd (w116) with approximately 120k miles.

I've been hearing that Chevron Delo 400 changed their formula awhile back.
I'm not sure exactly when they changed the formula but now that I'm aware about this, I would like to get some updates.

The other day I saw that Orielly had Chevron Delo 400LE on sale for 13.99. Not bad, but should I still be using Delo.
I have read on other forums that Chevron Delo 400 was the good stuff but no longer available. Note: 400 without the LE.

I want to make sure that I'm using the right motor oil.

Any advice is greatly appreciated

So 15-40 Supertech is fine? How is that compared to 15-40 Chevron Delo 400LE? Can I use Shell Rotella T-6 Syn?

A lot of us that are hardcore into MB diesels use 5w-40...

I run Schaeffer's 5w-40 in one, Rotella 5w-40 in the other.

I run Schaeffers because I had bought it in bulk long ago, and it gets two year OCIs. The other that gets more use gets Rotella.

15w-40 will run just fine in these engines. 5w- just cranks faster/easier in all conditions. Given the price point that 5w-40 has gotten to, I see no reason to not use it...

While 15w40 might be fine time has moved on, today it is rarely used in Germany anymore for these engines now its mostly 5w40 Mobil recommends a 5w50. These are Euro oils and usually have a higher zinc content.
I suspect this engine may need a zinc additive with newer US oils as that seems to be the most reduced component. Some will say it doesn't have stiff valve springs as an automatic disclaimer for low zinc content but personally I don't buy it.

49.gif

If it's overhead cam, it does not need more than 800 PPM ZDDP. And Chevron now claims 50% less wear with their new oil. That could be grounds for class action law suites if they fail to live up to it ...

They have replaced ZDDP with newer organic chemistry that does not show up on typical UOA's ... I'll bet their new formulations have been severely lab and field tested and they are on top of it
smile.gif

Yes, 5w40.

I remember reading a technical article from George Murphy, who was MBZ technical editor IIRC, about timing chain and guide wear with synthetic and non-synthetic oil and what he had observed in engine teardowns of OM616 and OM617 MBZ motors.

He observed that synthetic oil motors had less chain and guide wear.

I still have an '82 240D and run syn 5W40.

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
If it's overhead cam, it does not need more than 800 PPM ZDDP. And Chevron now claims 50% less wear with their new oil. That could be grounds for class action law suites if they fail to live up to it ...

They have replaced ZDDP with newer organic chemistry that does not show up on typical UOA's ... I'll bet their new formulations have been severely lab and field tested and they are on top of it
smile.gif

Cam lobe over bucket or shim I agree but as soon as non roller rocket arms or flat tappets come into the equation having extra zinc in the mix at least 1100 ppm seems to keep them in the best condition. To each their own, you want believe different that's fine too.

https://www.hemmings.com/blog/2012/10/18/tech-101-zinc-in-oil-and-its-effects-on-older-engines/

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
A lot of us that are hardcore into MB diesels use 5w-40...

I run Schaeffer's 5w-40 in one, Rotella 5w-40 in the other.

I run Schaeffers because I had bought it in bulk long ago, and it gets two year OCIs. The other that gets more use gets Rotella.

15w-40 will run just fine in these engines. 5w- just cranks faster/easier in all conditions. Given the price point that 5w-40 has gotten to, I see no reason to not use it...

Where is Schaeffer's 5w-40 sold?
In store or online?

Is Amsoil Heavy-Duty Synthetic Diesel Oil 5W-40 appropriate for my OM617.950?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back