Might need to replace some struts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys:

I have two torn shock boots my 2009 CRV. The suspension is also getting noisy. (Click and a popping sound while turning). Visually, the only damage I see is at the boot.

I plan to keep it for a while and was thinking of changing the front struts out. I'm only at 80k miles.

The plan would be to use the fully loaded struts that swap as a unit. That way I don't have to mess with a spring compressor.

Available options appear to be Monroe, FCS, Detroit Axle (Rockauto and Amazon). I know Bilstein are recommended here, but I don't see the fully loaded option anywhere. (I would prefer OE, but no option there either that I could find.)

Opinions / suggestions requested. Thanks.

Clicking and popping noises could be the upper spring mounts.
Can you do without the car for a few days? If so, I'd say remove the struts and do employ the compressor and take 'em apart.

They have compressors with safety hardware which corral the spring on the hooks.
Also, there are "overkill" compressors out there.

You'd then have the option to select OE or Bilstein. Apparently Monroe and KYB have gone down the tubes.
I've had great results with Bilstein. I used Sachs (Germany) OEM replacements on my Volvo and the ride was just OK.
All 4 dampers on that car were BEYOND GONE.
The Bilstein HD6 (heavy duty line) were fantastic and I'm putting them in my current car.

There must be a CRV board somewhere. If the members do any work (a big if) they'll have reported on shocks / struts.
Alas, like the Acura boards, there might be no "hands on" members.

I have Monroe Quick-Struts on my van and am very pleased with them. They were easy to change. Lifetime warranty, too. Rebates now until April 30th.

Last edited:
Monroe is garbage, unfortunately. Lifetime warranty is nice but having to do the labor repeatedly is not. Rancho is owned by Monroe, don't get anything Rancho either.

KYB is a far better choice, and all I will ever use here on out.

Last edited:
Don't recommend Monroe on any Honda product. Have seen many vehicles with them installed, ride worse than the worn out stock units.

And like said above, clicking while dry steering the tires is most likely the upper strut bearings. If the struts are still in good shape, just replace the boots and bearings.

Last edited:
I put the Monroe quick-struts on our old Pontiac a few years back and was impressed with them. Installation was a very easy, one man job with just basic hand-tools and they greatly improved the ride-quality and handling of our car. I had them on that car for about 40K miles before we got rid of it but we had zero issues with the quick-struts. Maybe enthusiasts notice a difference between the brands but as a normal driver that was just using the car for commuting and around-the-town errands I feel that the Monroe quick-struts were great.

Dogememe, do you have personal experience with the two brands? If so, what issues did you run into with the Monroes?

thanks guys. maybe I am jumping the gun here a bit.

here is a quick video if anyone wants to look / listen - poor quality.

dropbox file

Originally Posted By: Chester11
thanks guys. maybe I am jumping the gun here a bit.

here is a quick video if anyone wants to look / listen - poor quality.

dropbox file

Seems like you're tugging the wheel at 9 and 3 and getting a clunk. I'd do a thorough inspection of the suspension before condemning the struts. You could have bad inner/outer tie rods.

Last edited:
Honda actually *does* sell OEM quick strut assemblies from the dealer with all the OEM parts, but they are very expensive!

Part numbers
51601-SWA-A05
51602-SWA-A05
52610-SXS-A15
52620-SXS-A15

If you don't want to spend the money on those OE quick struts, get the Monroe quick struts. There is a $100 rebate until 4/30 on the set of four. The only aftermarket quick struts worth using are the premium ones like Monroe Quick Strut, KYB Strut Plus, and Gabriel Ultra Readymount.

DO NOT use the cheap Chinese options like FCS, Detroit Axle, Leacree, Unity, etc. as they won't last 10k, and might even be worse than your 90k OEM struts
crazy2.gif

Originally Posted By: IveBeenRued
Maybe enthusiasts notice a difference between the brands but as a normal driver that was just using the car for commuting and around-the-town errands I feel that the Monroe quick-struts were great.

I agree - they've worked fine for me on multiple vehicles. (I'm speaking of the Sensatracs, not the cheaper ones.)

I would first rule out the sway bar end links. They can make noise with just a little looseness in them. Easy to diagnose by either taking them completely off or at least one end, tying them out of the way and going for a test drive. Super cheap and easy to replace.

I see a lot of struts go for hundreds of thousands of miles and are still perfectly serviceable. I don't like the idea of replacing quality OEM struts with inferior aftermarket replacements just because an arbitrary mileage has been hit.

No need to fear or avoid using a spring compressor. You can rent one for nothing at AutoZone and they are pretty much idiot proof. Safe, with redundant safety features. Just make sure to make note of the orientation of the strut, spring and strut mount before you disassemble so you can reproduce that same orientation when you reassemble.

I prefer the OEM Springs over unknown chinesium springs with generic spring rates.

Seems people's experiences with brands are all over the map. I did look on RockAuto and notice KYB is offering rebates of up to $100 for four struts. Not too bad. Don't forget to use a 5% discount code. I would also feel comfortable using the Sachs struts but there is no rebate on those.

My Prius has 430k on the original struts and it still drives like new. The only suspension components I have replaced have been the sway bar end links and rear wheel bearings. Front rotors have never been off the car. YMMV

I'm in a similar situation. My 2009 CR-V has 96k on it. The last few months the suspension has become terribly bouncy, to the point crossing certain bridges the ridges are spaced out just right and the CRV-V bounces so much you have trouble keeping it in your lane. The dealership says the springs have sagged enough over 9 years that I should replace the entire strut - but I certainly cannot afford to pay for Honda OEM struts. The cost of the Monroe Quick Struts at Rock Auto seems to be the best deal. Now just to convince myself it's not that hard a job in the driveway!

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
Honda actually *does* sell OEM quick strut assemblies from the dealer with all the OEM parts, but they are very expensive!

Part numbers
51601-SWA-A05
51602-SWA-A05
52610-SXS-A15
52620-SXS-A15

If you don't want to spend the money on those OE quick struts, get the Monroe quick struts. There is a $100 rebate until 4/30 on the set of four. The only aftermarket quick struts worth using are the premium ones like Monroe Quick Strut, KYB Strut Plus, and Gabriel Ultra Readymount.

DO NOT use the cheap Chinese options like FCS, Detroit Axle, Leacree, Unity, etc. as they won't last 10k, and might even be worse than your 90k OEM struts
crazy2.gif

Thanks for this - for some reason I have trouble reading the Honda Parts tables, and usually just make a phone call.

Maybe a stupid question. Where I see a reference to "Japan built" does this refer to my vehicle assembly point? I see the reference a lot and assume the Japan model is different somehow?

Thanks all! I'm going to poke around a bit more. I'm leaning toward the inner tie rod now, but have not ruled out the struts.

hey chester11.. Yup "Japan Built" does mean where your car was assembled. Yep, the Japanese Honda's are different in many ways. On the 96 civic I have, there was a completely different wiper arm linkage when compared to the American assembled car.

Could always get yourself a mechanic's stethoscope (about $4 at harbor freight) and have someone turn the wheels while you listen to see where this clicking is exactly. Then you won't have to just throw parts at it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back