Time to end Daylight Saving?

Status
Not open for further replies.
There really is no reason to have Daylight Saving anymore. It is also a cause of a large number of accidents, as the week after the change is normally the week with the highest number of accidents. It has no benefit to saving energy. [censored], even Russia has figured it out and stopped it.

Is it time to finally end this madness?

Time to list benefits and drawbacks. It's good to review things in my opinion.

I'm not at all sold on the idea that it is "madness".

Never seen the car crash data. Have you? Has anybody?

Just askin'.

ps I'm loathe to jumping on anyone's bandwagon. You should be too.

I like more light in the evening. Elementary school age kids walking to school in the dark is the real reason we fall back an hour.

Originally Posted By: Kira
Time to list benefits and drawbacks. It's good to review things in my opinion.

I'm not at all sold on the idea that it is "madness".

Never seen the car crash data. Have you? Has anybody?

Just askin'.

ps I'm loathe to jumping on anyone's bandwagon. You should be too.

8-17% increase in accidents after the switch.

Quote:
Again citing the loss of an hour’s sleep, a New England Journal of Medicine study suggests the time change resulted in an eight per cent spike in car accidents on the first day back to work after the time transition, while a University of Colorado study pointed to a 17 per cent spike in traffic-related deaths on the Monday after springing forward in time.

https://globalnews.ca/news/4077328/daylight-saving-time-2018-time-change-affects/

Also, an increased rate of heart attacks and strokes.

Quote:

The risk of a heart attack increases by seven per cent and lingers for three days following to change to Daylight Saving Time.

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
I thought the original idea was to give farm kids time for chores in daylight before school?

It was originally started during the war to save energy.

Quote:

Starting on April 30, 1916, the German Empire and its World War I ally Austria-Hungary introduced DST (German: Sommerzeit) as a way to conserve coal during wartime. Britain, most of its allies, and many European neutrals soon followed suit. Russia and a few other countries waited until the next year, and the United States adopted daylight saving in 1918.

Broadly speaking, most jurisdictions abandoned daylight saving time in the years after the war ended in 1918 (with some notable exceptions including Canada, the UK, France, and Ireland). However, many different places adopted it for periods of time during the following decades and it became common during World War II. It became widely adopted, particularly in North America and Europe, starting in the 1970s as a result of the 1970s energy crisis.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daylight_saving_time

Last edited:
I never understand why people would want to go home in the dark rather than wake up in the dark. In the winter months, the day light is already shorter plus the weather is gloomy.

I'm open minded but....
8%-17% increase in anything sounds a little to pat. Pat means convenient to some and bogus to others

Some mention of lingering "threat" of heart attacks sounds SO VERY unsubstantiated.

Also, Ben Franklin is said to have dreamt up the idea, so it has to be good. Only kidding. I don't want to create a lingering threat of heart failures.

Seriously, if that one about heart stress was true, I'd be for DST just so it could cull the herd.

Big cities have fewer on-the-road breakdowns because of alternate side of the week parking. Most breakdowns are "no start" breakdowns so making people move their steel twice of thrice a week is good. So if changing the ambient light will give some subset of the population a heart attack, we're better off managing that weakness.

Good goin' Ben.

I'm open minded but....
8%-17% increase in anything sounds a little to pat. Pat means convenient to some and bogus to others

Some mention of lingering "threat" of heart attacks sounds SO VERY unsubstantiated.

Even if you discredit all the potential drawbacks, what are the benefits? I don't really see any, so why have the time change?

Originally Posted By: newbe46
I never understand why people would want to go home in the dark rather than wake up in the dark. In the winter months, the day light is already shorter plus the weather is gloomy.

Agreed. Winter up north is even more miserable with the 1-hour time change because it gets dark so quickly. Getting off work at 5 pm and seeing it's already dark outside is really depressing, at least for me. Just stick with Summer time all year long, please.

Gives you more time to play 18 holes after work in the summer. Some of the towns in my part of the woods have decided not to change time. Also the province of Saskatchewan in Canada does not change because " Cows do not wear watches".
lol.gif

I have managed to stretch my work day by an extra hour to 11 hours a day thanks to DST! Salaried so no extra pay and I add 10% more value to my employer's bottom line.

Don't misinterpret my friend.

I'm open to any and all SOLID arguments for or against DST.

It's beginning to sound like (from our limited sample) esthetics has a lot to do with this.

I happen to be with the folk who prefer some evening Sunshine. It wouldn't be worth it if lots of school children needed to become traffic casualties.

I just need real numbers and am not trying to be difficult.

I'm all for daylight savings time and I wish it were double. It would be nice if it was light until well past 10 at night. Save energy, get more done and enjoy the outdoors. I'm sure there is info that points to increased accidents around the time of the time change but there is probably also a benefit. Less driving in the dark, better visibility for pedestrians etc. During WW2 there was double daylight savings to increase production.

It wouldn't be worth it if lots of school children needed to become traffic casualties.

I don't follow.

Up here, even when falling back to standard time for winter, it is still dark when kids get picked up by school buses.

For the record, I don't want to end DST. I want DST to be observed all year long.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
...Even if you discredit all the potential drawbacks, what are the benefits? I don't really see any, so why have the time change?...

I don't follow.

Up here, even when falling back to standard time for winter, it is still dark when kids get picked up by school buses.

thumbsup2.gif
thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back