Yikes - 40.00 has been topped.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I mean, $40 technically hasn't been topped...

The modern engine marketing refers to their new formulation which helps combat LSPI in GDI engines.

Pay sales tax? That'll put it over $40.

That's Amsoil SS territory...all due to DI turbos.

Glad I have a NA engine with port injection....

Just as other lubricant manufacturers claim their D1G2 certified oils meet SN Plus spec which is designed to combat LSPI it TGDI.

Yep.. this is more of a "just hit the market, let's see how many suckers we can get" price, until market pressure ends up forcing them to bring it back down in the realm of reason.. say, $25 a jug.

Surprisingly M1 AP is standing strong, still 40$! they even didn't include it their current rebate

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
I refuse to pay $30 for a 5quart jug, let-alone $40.

I generally can pay below or near $20 and many times still get a rebate.

Originally Posted By: parshisa
Surprisingly M1 AP is standing strong, still 40$! they even didn't include it their current rebate

Yes my local Walmart now has it relegated to one small shelf LOL.

Last edited:
Is there something ground breaking research wise or technology wise to justify price? Crazy prices.

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
I refuse to pay $30 for a 5quart jug, let-alone $40.

I generally can pay below or near $20 and many times still get a rebate.

Originally Posted By: parshisa

Yes my local Walmart now has it relegated to one small shelf LOL.

I was just there the other day. It’s displayed along with the rest of the Valvoline oils.

I am very curious about how this oil compares to the "regular" Valvoline Full Synthetic, which is also dexos1 Gen 2...anybody have any thoughts on how this modern engine oil can help prevent intake valve carbon buildup in DIT engines?

Yes, getting pricey, but, historically speaking, not too bad.

In 1975, Mobil 1 was $4.00 a quart and was only sold at Mobil gas stations. And since someone mentioned sales tax... add another 4% (the sales tax rate back then).

Adjusting for inflation, $4.00 is equivalent to $19.00 today. Yikes! That was mighty expensive back in the day.

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
I am very curious about how this oil compares to the "regular" Valvoline Full Synthetic, which is also dexos1 Gen 2...anybody have any thoughts on how this modern engine oil can help prevent intake valve carbon buildup in DIT engines?

If anything is different it is not shown in the pds. I’m guessing a different base but that’s a guess as well.

Blain's F&F has Citgo 5/20 and 5/30 Semi for $2 a 5qt. jug right now, far more protection for your dollar.

Originally Posted By: JLTD
Pay sales tax? That'll put it over $40.

That's Amsoil SS territory...

It's also about what I will pay for the 5 liter jug of the Ravenol DXG D1G2 once it becomes available here stateside, and that stuff is mostly PAO/POE!
27.gif
wink.gif

Going by the Valvoline website, the NOACK loss of Modern Engine 5W30 is 11% while the "regular" Full Synthetic is at 9.3%.
KV100 for the ME is 9.8 cSt while the regular is at 10.2 cSt.
I thought maybe the ME would be a low SA oil since the FS is sorta high for a SN/GF5 oil at 0.97%, but that parameter is not given for ME. HTHS is also not shared for ME, I like the FS at 3.2 (~3.0 seems more common for SN/GF5).
I also noticed that the HM Maxlife 5W30 has a lower HTHS than the FS (3.1) and a higher NOACK loss than the other two (12.2%), so the FS is looking like the best of the bunch to me in 5W30 based upon the few numbers that are shared in the PI sheets.

I fully realize that this doesn't mean the FS would actually perform better in my engine than the other two...

EDIT - also just noticed that the published NOACK loss for the HM Maxlife 5W20 (13.9%) is higher than the dexos1 spec of 13%...but I believe there is a window that allows for rounding and variation in test results.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back