PUP--Why did opinions change?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It seems like it was about 3 years ago when BITOG was all abuzz for PUP.
The UOA's were returning incredible numbers (and still do).
I've noticed most of the real cheerleading has subsided since then. That surprises me somewhat, especially at times like this when online supply is plentiful at ~ $24/5qt plus $10 MIR.
For those that remember those days on here,
is it because:
--the extremely low NOACK was revised and is now higher? Were there other formula changes that we know of?
--or, most are finding PP to have equal results? BTW, do we know the difference...PUP just have more boron?
--or, because PUP is still not touted as extended drain and new formulas like M1 EP have hit the market?
--or, people got weary of the inconsistent availability?
I'm interested in hearing opinions.

#1. Availability. Some places stock it. Most don’t. Available on the internet when it’s in stock.

#2. How much better is it than Pennzoil Platinum?

#3. Marketing. Shell went all out to make like GTL was the next best thing since sliced bread. It’s just another way to make oil.

This is just my opinion. I have nothing against Shell. They make fine products and I use their gasoline. In the case of Ultra, marketing convinced many that it’s the best. It’s not. There is no best.

I think in 2015 or 2016 they had a bad shortage. Maybe they couldn't keep up with demand or something.

Which is when a lot of people switched to a comparable oil and found that it worked just as well.

Maybe you're thinking of the classic Pennzoil Ultra? Pennzoil Ultra Platinum is the new natural gas formulation, and doesn't have the crazy low Noack that everyone loved. Plus,you'd be more likely to find a unicorn than PUP.

This stuff: I've got it in my Sonata now

2aj9s0j.jpg

I'd say the lack of ease of availability would be the number #1 reason. Then when AMZN or WMT finally gets it in stock you have to buy quickly or end up not being able to get it for several weeks or more. People get tired of that and move on. Finding it on the shelves in a retail establishment is next to impossible in many regions, so for many of us the only way of getting it is online.

Regardless of all the additives, science, and so on, if the bearings, journals, pistons stay turning as they are suppose to do, I'm good with that....

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Maybe you're thinking of the classic Pennzoil Ultra? Pennzoil Ultra Platinum is the new natural gas formulation, and doesn't have the crazy low Noack that everyone loved. Plus,you'd be more likely to find a unicorn than PUP. This stuff: I've got it in my Sonata now
2aj9s0j.jpg

I keep the PUP for my Scat Pack and Ram 1500 in the stable with my unicorns. I have NEVER had any issues getting it from Amazon. The dealer stocks SRT 0W-40 PUP for my Scat Pack for $7 per quart.

I really don't care if any local stores stock PUP. For example, I used to go to Walmart all the time. I have become tired of the drive to the stores. Tired of bums & beggars with gas cans wanting money for gas or money for food (read drugs and booze). Tired of the dirty stores. Tired of the slack jawed unhappy employees who could care less whether you are happy or not. Tired of worrying that some pathetic customer returned the oil jugs full of water. Tired of the unwashed and diseased customers who sneeze on you and leave their soiled tissues in the cart (I now wear a surgical mask during my few visits to Walmart). Tired of carts that don't roll or vibrate so bad you cannot hold on to them. I could add a lot more to the list but do not want to offend anyone. I now order most everything from Amazon. If I have to pay a premium on some items I am glad to do so.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SilverSnake

....Tired of bums & beggars with gas cans wanting money for gas or money for food (read drugs and booze). Tired of the dirty stores. Tired of the slack jawed unhappy employees who could care less whether you are happy or not. Tired of worrying that some pathetic customer returned the oil jugs full of water. Tired of the unwashed and diseased customers who sneeze on you and leave their soiled tissues in the cart....

Describes my last visit to the Walmart to a "T" !!!

Originally Posted By: lukejo
It seems like it was about 3 years ago when BITOG was all abuzz for PUP.

--or, people got weary of the inconsistent availability?
I'm interested in hearing opinions.

No the real issue is that most people don't plan any further ahead than the end of their nose.

I have 4 or 5 Jugs of PUP. In fact I just picked up two of those Jugs in December for $19.98 and I got the $10 rebate per Jug. You see the fact is it isn't Pennzoil's problem that peoples emergency oil buying is based on their oil monitor told the last week their oil life was 5%.

This really isn't a whole lot different than the people who have a realization of a retirement emergency when they get to be 60 something years old. You only need to change oil once or twice a year now not every 90 days or 3000 miles. They call it planning get in the habit your life will go a lot smoother.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: FermeLaPorte
There are better oils out there, and the profits don't get to stay here in America. SO I go for a superior product.

And Nissan profits do? Walk the walk or tone it down.

Many posters here are fickle, or inconsistent about which oil to use. Brand names come and brand names go. Human nature.

Originally Posted By: tig1
Many posters here are fickle, or inconsistent about which oil to use. Brand names come and brand names go. Human nature.

thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: FermeLaPorte
There are better oils out there, and the profits don't get to stay here in America. SO I go for a superior product.

Says the guy that owns a 2014 1.6L Nissan Versa.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I'd say the lack of ease of availability would be the number #1 reason. Then when AMZN or WMT finally gets it in stock you have to buy quickly or end up not being able to get it for several weeks or more. People get tired of that and move on. Finding it on the shelves in a retail establishment is next to impossible in many regions, so for many of us the only way of getting it is online.

That's it exactly, if you cant buy it you stop looking for it. I was looking forward to trying the Euro formula but as quick as it was on the shelf its gone and not coming back.
AA and other chains have it for $10 a qt, wally has Castrol or M1 0w40 5 qts for $24-26 its a no brainer.

Running it now in the Camry and have six more quarts of it. This is the 5w20 variety. Prob use it in the Matrix next oci. Then use 0w20 Idemitsu that I picked up at Advance on clearance. Have 25 qts of it to use up. Prob change it this week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back