Choice of .357 SIG Ammo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, back to the subject.
While in WM today, I was checking their ammo supply for .357 SIG ammo. They sell one brand, WWB, FMJ.
I keep checking SGAmmo.com for ammo but they are always out of JHP's. Does anyone know of another big ammo supplier that sells JHP .357 SIG ammo?

I am still looking for Winchester Ranger-T 125 gr. SIG .357 ammo. I have put my e-mail address on several ammo sites that sell them to notify me when they come in. From what I understand, this is the old BLACK TALON rd. just without the black LUBALOX coating. In the pic you can see it's expanded to the diameter of a US dime. This is the ultimate personal defense round. I'm sure a few of you LEO have used the BLACK TALON ammo in the past. I wouldn't mind owning a box of them.

HST will do the same. Bad guy isn't gonna notice the difference.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
HST will do the same. Bad guy isn't gonna notice the difference.
wink.gif

+1 - just go with HST.

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
I am still looking for Winchester Ranger-T 125 gr. SIG .357 ammo. I have put my e-mail address on several ammo sites that sell them to notify me when they come in. From what I understand, this is the old BLACK TALON rd. just without the black LUBALOX coating. In the pic you can see it's expanded to the diameter of a US dime. This is the ultimate personal defense round. I'm sure a few of you LEO have used the BLACK TALON ammo in the past. I wouldn't mind owning a box of them.

I'm not really a fan of it in this caliber, and much prefer Gold Dot due to the velocities involved and jacket separation and over-expansion as pictured. T-series has been eclipsed by the HST in other calibers, as well, IMO

You cannot get Black Talon in 357SIG, as 357SIG came about after the BT transferred into the T-series, as you note. I had a few boxes laying around, just never tested out as well as I liked.

Notice how the 9mm actually performs better in the T-series? It's just not constructed for 357SIG velocities. Also, as far as I know, they never went 4th? gen with the 357SIG. 3rd gen is where that loading stopped.
http://winchesterle.com/SiteCollectionDo...otocol_2016.pdf

Last edited:
I have some of that ammo. I carry Gold Dots. High velocity and super expandy bullets hurt penetration. You're probably better off going with the bullets that fragment and have a quick energy dump and multiple wound tracks. Now if that was all I had I'd happily carry it but it's no ultimate defense round lol.

My agency I retired from, Dallas Police, used this in 357 sig and 9mm. About a year ago they returned about $300,000 of it due to multiple defects. Lots of the .357 had bullets seated far too low that malfunctioned. We went to Hornaday.. That said, I have multiple boxes in 9mm that I'm not afraid of. I just think you can buy something else just as good.

Originally Posted By: buck91
Isn’t the pdx1 the same or very similar?

It' funny you say that. I was looking at my .357 SIG PDX1's in my magazine and they sure do look like the Ranger-T bullet.

Originally Posted By: billt460
I think I would be shocked to come across a firearms thread that argued the importance of shot placement as much as ammo type.
Americans like buying stuff to solve problems. And buying stuff is easier than training, working out, eating better, etc.

Originally Posted By: billt460
I think I would be shocked to come across a firearms thread that argued the importance of shot placement as much as ammo type.

It's also ideal to practice shot placement.

I sent Winchester USA an email asking if the PDX1 and Ranger-T Series bullets were the same designs. They stated that they were not.

PDX1 is a bonded round, nothing like T-series.

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
I'm thinking about a M&P .357 FS from SOG. Your opinion?
I would go for a Glock G4 (G31, G32, or G33). It is the AR-15 of pistols with tons of accessories and upgrades.
SOG is still around ?

Originally Posted By: Ammofirst
Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
I'm thinking about a M&P .357 FS from SOG. Your opinion?
I would go for a Glock G4 (G31, G32, or G33). It is the AR-15 of pistols with tons of accessories and upgrades.
SOG is still around ?

Yes they are. I have bought many firearms from them in the past. And, always look at their website to see what they have in stock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back