I think it's pinging

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick1994

$100 site donor 2024
My Sonata makes a rattling sound when accelerating, usually at lower RPMs with heavier throttle. Kiind of like a pennies in a can sound, hard to explain. I've noticed when I run 91 octane in it it doesn't make the rattle sound, and always starts back up with a fresh tank of 87.

I run a bottle of Techron every 4-5k miles or so, with 87 octane and Techron in the tank it still make the noise. I usually use Costco gas but last fill up was Shell and it pings too (87).

Does it matter that it pings? Is it hurting anything?

Should i just run premium or would it be better to add an additive?

Thanks.

Pinging is not good by any yard stick and can easily relate to it.
The ping is from the coils, they are on their way out.
If you haven't gotten a code great but they are on their way out since the burn is not clean and the computer picked on it.
Replace all plugs and coils in one shot.

One other thing that could cause pinging is uneven heat transfer, flush the cooling system and that dramatically reduces pings.

Originally Posted By: MaximaGuy
Pinging is not good by any yard stick and can easily relate to it.
The ping is from the coils, they are on their way out.
If you haven't gotten a code great but they are on their way out since the burn is not clean and the computer picked on it.
Replace all plugs and coils in one shot.

One other thing that could cause pinging is uneven heat transfer, flush the cooling system and that dramatically reduces pings.

It's a 2015. It's either "normal" or there's a problem he needs to take it to the dealer for.

Originally Posted By: gathermewool
It's a 2015. It's either "normal" or there's a problem he needs to take it to the dealer for.

Oh didn't realize that. Take it to the dealership as Hyundai's provide best in class terrific warranty. Don't touch it until they have seen it and it is very easy to replicate the problem in hotter climates.

Originally Posted By: MaximaGuy

Oh didn't realize that. Take it to the dealership as Hyundai's provide best in class terrific warranty. Don't touch it until they have seen it and it is very easy to replicate the problem in hotter climates.

It's out of warranty anyway, I think.

Warranty is long gone.

User JustinH on here has a GDI Sonata and it pings a lot too.

Does your owner's manual state anything about pinging being normal?

I have a PDF of the owner’s manual and searched for ping and it doesn’t mention the word ping anywhere.

Any way to borescope the intake valves, to see how much buildup there is?

Sounds like your COA would be to either have the valves cleaned (FI Cleaner won't do that for GDI) or continue to run premium fuel.

Have you noted any difference in mileage between premium and 97 AKI?

Is this DI? May be a carbon buildup issue. Pinging isn't good so run 91 til you can get it sorted, Techron will not increase the octane rating.

Beyond having someone look at it, I'd continue to run the premium. Excessive pinging can cause cascading effects like ignition timing being retarded which will increase your EGTs, overheating the piston crown, excess enrichement, incomplete combustion due to the prior reasons and carbon buildup.

If you're a gentle driver that never floors the pedal, consider whipping that 2.4L hard on the highway- might be what it needs.

Coils are the culprits when it comes to pinging.
Get it checked and if there are even remotely on their way out, get them replaced.
Incomplete burn from faulting coils cause tremendous damage downstream and expensive repairs (lived through it on my Maxima)

My 300ZX will ping occasionally when I really get on it. In the case of these cars,it's from the [censored] gas we get.

I had a Sonata rental that was pinging up every hill, some engines are just more prone to it. Run 91, don't waste your money on coils, it ain't that.

DI engine, very hot climate, perhaps aggressive driving pattern, pinging. Sounds like a textbook case to boost the octane to at least 89. Most owner's manuals for my cars, (all of which took 87 octane gas) said to use higher octane fuel if the engine pings regularly.

Though it can't hurt to check plugs, wires, fuel filter, etc.

It's got the original spark plugs in it. Should I replace them?

I drive the car pretty hard and don't short trip. 21k miles a year and WOT often.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
It's got the original spark plugs in it. Should I replace them?

I drive the car pretty hard and don't short trip. 21k miles a year and WOT often.

At 74k plugs can't hurt but don't be surprised if the pinging is still there. It sure won't ping at WOT.
grin2.gif

Buy a HF walnut blaster. Remove intake manifold, turn crank until intake valves are closed for the cyl you are working on, and then blast the valves. This is the only way to properly remove the carbon buildup on GDI engines.

My 2012 Sonata 2.4 pinged exactly as yours is doing. Anything less than 89 octane would cause it. I finally changed the plugs at 80k and it went away. I used 87 until i sold it there after with no more pings.

-Check plugs
-Check for IVD
-Use severe service oci ESPECIALLY if not using low Noack Syn.
-Or continue using 89 and higher octane
-*I'm also using oil catch cans on all my DI vehicles, it can't hurt.

The 2.0T has never pinged.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back